Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: openSUSE subscription?

Default openSUSE subscription?

This forum looks like the best place to raise/suggest this idea.

I don't even know if you have such a program, but one of the ways I like contributing to the openSUSE project is to buy a Box edition at every release. I have done so since openSUSE 9.2. Hey, it's least I can do.

What I was wondering is, instead of me having to order a separate copy each time there is a release, what about having a subscription program, where I automatically get sent a copy at every release perpetually (and of course charged appropriately), until such time one was to opt out.

Is this possible, a good idea or not?

Brian.

Blog Entries

Default Re: openSUSE subscription?

I mentioned this to one of the guys in our marketing group, and he forwarded it to the head guy in marketing.

The idea is liked and appreciated. Now we just wait to hear back.
    ______________________________________________________________________________________
    Don't ask "if" something can be done, for it can always be done. Rather instead ask "How" can it be done.

Hi,

open-slx is novw the offical producer of the openSUSE box. I like the idea of this subscription program to sponsor the openSUSE project itself.

Currently we are contributin for example in helping to improve wiki and web space.

So what we can thing is making a special openSUSE subscription prgram, where most of the margin is used for sponsoring openSUSE. If the openSUSE community likes to do have that, I will start such a program.

What do you like to have included in such a program?

Best regards,

Stefan Werden
    Managing Director
    open-slx gmbh

Quote Originally Posted by swerden View Post
    Hi,

open-slx is novw the offical producer of the openSUSE box. I like the idea of this subscription program to sponsor the openSUSE project itself.

Currently we are contributin for example in helping to improve wiki and web space.

So what we can thing is making a special openSUSE subscription prgram, where most of the margin is used for sponsoring openSUSE. If the openSUSE community likes to do have that, I will start such a program.

What do you like to have included in such a program?

Best regards,

Stefan Werden
    Managing Director
    open-slx gmbh

Before there was Novell-SuSE, there was simply SuSE and in the 2001-2003 period there was a subscription service and I was a subscriber. Frankly one simply needs a good set of disks mailed; The packaging should be minimal.

Blog Entries

I contacted swerden for you. He should be getting back in contact, replying to this thread, shortly.
    ______________________________________________________________________________________
    Don't ask "if" something can be done, for it can always be done. Rather instead ask "How" can it be done.

I don't even need the disks just access to the servers to download like I do right now. I have no problem with a subscription. I was a Mandriva powerpack subscriber before coming to openSUSE.
    Tumbleweed

I don't think there's any point having subscriptions. We should leave that for the commercial counter part. When/if openSUSE becomes a foundation then you can freely donate. I believe this is the future... so lets wait and see.

A thinpack DVD of the current openSUSE version with server access to the repos for that version for a set price might a seem attractive to some.

I am looking for a way to separate openSUSE as a viable stand alone organization. It just may not be possible.
    Tumbleweed

Certainly at this point a subscription is a bit dubious since the money could be used in all kinds of way that have little to do with openSUSE. If we do succeed in starting an openSUSE Foundation then a subscription would be a great way to support it and open-slx.

If it included nicely pressed DVDs in some sort of professional packaging, as FlameBait suggested, I'd definitely sign up.
    Primary OS: openSUSE 11.4
    Testing OS: openSUSE 12.1
    oS TCT

I did a clean install of 11.3 last night and the update afterwords was 1.12 gigs. Someone is paying for that bandwidth. It's not really fair to expect NOVELL or anyone else to provide that for free. This is why a subscription is attractive to me. NOVELL sells SLES and SLED but I really don't want SLED I want openSUSE.
    Tumbleweed

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast