Thread: How to remove entries from KDE startup?

Default How to remove entries from KDE startup?

For some reason, Skype starts up in two instances. How can remove one of them in KDE (4.4.4)? I looked around a little but could not find anything that would help.
    +++ ATH0

. . . . . . . .
    LOGOFF COMPLETE

Blog Entries

Smile Re: How to remove entries from KDE startup?

Look in the folder ~/.kde4/Autostart (~=/home/yourname). To look use the terminal command:

Code:
    dir ~/.kde4/Autostart
    For any File Manager to see the .kde4 folder, you must turn on "View / Show Hidden Files".

You can also see and remove them using the kde option menu / Personnel Settings / Advanced Tab / AutoStart.

Another thing to look at is menu / Personnel Settings / Advanced Tab /Session Manager / "On Login" option. I normally pick "Start With an Empty Session", but that is not the default. If you leave a program running and restart kde and the same program is in Autostart, you may get two of the same program loaded, if the program allows being loaded more than once.

I also have a easy script file that can be used to create an AutoStarted script file for you located at:

KDE Application Autostart Script: Automatically Made For You!

Thank You,
    My Blog: https://forums.opensuse.org/blogs/jdmcdaniel3/

Software efficiency halves every 18 months, thus compensating for Moore's Law

Its James again from Austin, Texas

Default Re: How to remove entries from KDE startup?

Hi,
    i checked in the kde startup menu and its empty. I think you might be right that it is confused and loads double for some reason. So i changed it to empty session. That should do it.

Thanks James, at least i know the options.
    +++ ATH0

. . . . . . . .
    LOGOFF COMPLETE

There is no need to throw out the baby with the bathwater, i.e. you do not need to start with an empty sessions when you just can exclude certain applications from the session restore. That is at least what I use to prevent Conky from starting doubly upon log-in (one from previous session, and the other from autostart).

Look in the sessions management section of Personal settings and tell it to exclude Skyp from sessions.

I think i figured it out ( i suppose).
    The system (KDE) does not add automatically items in the startup itself. With KDE it is only in the saved session. Once you make it clean boot, its gone.
    So you have to add it yourself in the startup to start the program.
    Again something learned.
    It works now the way i want and i do the clean start, rather then reload the previous session.
    Whatever works.

I am happy now

p.s. my startup was empty, so it really was only saved with the session.
    +++ ATH0

. . . . . . . .
    LOGOFF COMPLETE

Blog Entries

Smile Re: How to remove entries from KDE startup?

yester64, happy you got KDE setup to run just as you like it. I too start with a clean session in KDE and I autostart only two applications: apcuspd (for my UPS) & Yakuake (Terminal Program - F12 to activate). Anything else, it has just got to start from scratch each time I log into KDE.

As you say, each to his/her own liking.

Thank You,
    My Blog: https://forums.opensuse.org/blogs/jdmcdaniel3/

Software efficiency halves every 18 months, thus compensating for Moore's Law

Its James again from Austin, Texas