openSUSE 11.3 not booting in VM

Hi,

My host is openSUSE 11.2 x86_64 and I’m using VirtualBox v3.2.8.r64453. I’m trying to boot an openSUSE 11.3 64-bit guest. It installs just fine but I can’t even get it to boot in run level 3.

It hangs part way through the boot right after displaying “Copying static /dev content”. I can run other VMs of various Windows and Linux distros in 32 & 64 bit without problems.

How can I determine what’s causing the failure?

TIA

There was a similar problem when openSUSE 11.2 x86_64 was installed under openSUSE 11.2 x86_64 in VirtualBox . The 32 bit version was working.

I’m seeing similar issues. Running Suse 11.3 x64 under Rhel 5.1 x64 with virtualbox causes the host OS to lock solid, requiring a power off. Under Ubuntu, the VB simply locks up. I’m trying to setup a testing environment using VirtualBox and it would be nice if this problem could be solved.

I’m trying to set up a test environment in Mandriva 2010.1 x86_64 KDE 4.5.3 with Oracle VirtualBox 3.2.10. And openSuSE 11.3 x86_64 installs fine but won’t boot. Fedora 14 and Mandriva Cooker both x86_64 installed and run with no problem. Booting 11.3 in Failsafe mode it stops cold at:

Boot logging started on /dev/char../tty1(/dev/console) at Mon Nov 8 21:22

I am only using VirtualBox recently and don’t know it well yet. Don’t know what to do to trouble shoot such problems in VB as I would on a partition… Am still reading/learning documentation.

FWIW the Oracle version of VB was recommended by a Mandriva dev who uses it for Cooker himself instead of Mandriva’s own version. The Oracle version is specific to Mandriva 2010.0/2010.1 x86_64 though.

Check out my reply (same username) in this forum:

VBox has problems with openSuSE 11.3 (View topic) • virtualbox.org

(it works but you need to add the nopreload parameter to the kernel, at boot up…)

Good luck!

Many thanks. That works.