Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help a Newbie please

Default Re: Help a Newbie please

Quote Originally Posted by gropiuskalle View Post
    How to install openbox:

Code:
    zypper ar -f http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/X11:/windowmanagers/openSUSE_11.3/ X11:Windowmanagers
    zypper in openbox
    Mind the SuSE version, this is for 11.3.

This is not a good advice, as this will install a package without the package manager being able to recognize it - which means you can not upgrade it, let the package manager consider it as a fulfilled dependency or even uninstall (unless you have a *working* uninstall script). Depending on the package (or the number of packages installed this way) it can create a lot of chaos. *If* the compilation of a sourcecode is necessary, one should build an .rpm instead of 'make install'.

Make love, not install.
    Thanks for you enlightening, but to make an RPM you will need pretty much to know how to build a package. RPM's aren't created from thin air as you might understand.

I'm not much in favor of the source carnage, but I won't be the one deciding that. If you didn't felt such a rush of throwing me down, you would see that the text you point serves actually as a tiny ramp to introduce OBS (openSUSE Build Service) which is most likely a tool of interest. If one is capable of building up a package from the source with a bit more of help I'm pretty sure he will also be able to use OBS to package it, as making the spec files and understanding osc isn't pretty much of an accomplishment compared to being able to build a package from source and understand it's process.

We should not hand over the fish to the people, but instead learn them how to fish! Specially when a user is already half of the way. If you noticed, I've also pointed him to the OBS repositories as a nice way of finding software.

I hope you don't take this as a 'personal attack' also.

Best of luck.

I hope you don't take this as a 'personal attack' also.
    I do not. When looking closer, actually both our points complement.

Make love, not install." ))) these sounds like words of old and experienced, I will remember that, package manager is always a preferable choice, as it does a lot more than make actually can I think, but still some pieces(dependencies) are scattered in the internet like stars in space, so there is no a package manager to find them for you( Thank you.

thanks I will try to dig into it.

Thank you for your answers. but, this is what says cat INSTALL for tint2:

mkdir build
    cd build
    cmake -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/usr ../
    make
    sudo make install

what should I write in "/usr.../"???
    I would write:

Code:
    mkdir build
    cd build
    cmake -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/usr/local
    make
    su -c 'make install'
    Reason: openSUSE rpm packages will never put anything into /usr/local but when I put my self compiled stuff there, I know that I can delete it later on without breaking things.

This requires having /usr/local in the path.
    Technology is 'stuff that doesn't work yet.' -- Bran Ferren

thanks for advice, I just went through this chapter in my book "OpenSUSE 11 and SLES Bible" now I know that I should better put this into my .bashrc file " -export PATH=$PATH:/home/{my tint2 dir}" this will do the trick, anyway thank you for your help!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12