KDE 4.5.1

Just updated to KDE 4.5.1, and im having a hard time getting the tray icons to work.

For instance, i cant get the Pidgin tray icon to show.
I cant get Qinternet to show either.

Thanks

Hi,

I have seen something similar on a cross-install between updates. Suggest you look at the repository file versions and make sure you upgrade and downgrade to the current standard.

Note: On most files the latest file versions have a lower # than the old ones!!! If you are using Yast and the version is showing RED or BLUE update it.

Ok, will do so when repositories are working again :slight_smile:

Ok, so i checked and yes. I have all 4.5.1 packages.

Its REALLY annoying !!

By the way, im using this KDE repository:

Index of /repositories/KDE:/Release:/45/openSUSE_11.3

I’ve had this trouble with a few apps Scribus from a user repos and Blueman for instance. Blueman was a little more upstream issue but scribus was simple to fix just added the scribus.desktop to /usr/share/applications

Seems like mostly Gnome based apps or where the packager was a Gnome user.

Well, Qinternet comes from OSS repository.

I use 4.5.1 on 11.3. I have the same problem with tray icons. If I just boot up, I get about half of them. The other apps are running, but no tray icon.

This is where it gets interesting. I found that if I killed one of the apps in the tray, then the tray would expand to accommodate all icons. I couldn’t find a fix. Some research showed that the tray was redesigned to get messaging from dbus (or something like that). I guess it just doesn’t work yet.

As a work around, I made a script for Autostart with the command:

#!/bin/bash
/home/john/bin/delay 15 /home/john/bin/systemtrayfix.sh

where delay is

#!/bin/sh
sleep $1
shift
exec $@

and systemtrayfix.sh is

killall kupdateapplet

This works for me. “john” is my user name, so you would need to adjust the pat appropriately. It does mean that I kill the update applet, but I don’t use it anyway.

Finally, someone has found a use for the update applet :slight_smile:

Lol. Yup. Thanks to the devs. :slight_smile:

Thanks for the effort, but it didnt work :frowning:

I killed Klipper and Amarok from system tray and no new icons appeared :frowning:

Huh. Amarok behaves strangely, but killing klipper should have done it. Been there. You killed it after the whole startup process was completed? That’s why there I put a delay in the Autostart process.

Yes indeed, i killed it with the computer already running for a time.

Hmmm i crated the delay and systemtrayfix scripts, but how do i put the first one to start on boot?

I created an executable file called “startup.script” in the ~/.kde4/Austostart directory. I then enabled it for startup through Configure Desktop -> Startup and Shutdown -> Autostart.

Ok, done, thanks !!!

Will try it on my next reboot

Woooo, could you first take a look this way:

Right click in the system tray, next to, or above the icons shown. Now enter the system tray settings. See if you can see the missing items, activate them…

Yes. Thanks for mentioning that. In my case, the system tray settings don’t work for the icons that aren’t there. :wink: Even if, after getting them to show up, you set them to always show is no guarantee that they will be visible. The whole thing is simply weird. Still, it is possible that they are set as invisible in the OP’s case, so that is a good call.

Yep, first thing i did was check that :slight_smile: