Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: unable to resize panel

Default unable to resize panel

As the title states. I can do height adjustments but not width. My width buttons have disappeared. I have the same problem with the panel that runs up the right side. KDE 4.4.4 11.3 Any ideas? Thanks for the help.

Blog Entries

Smile Re: unable to resize panel

I just wonder if it has something to do with the added panel on the right side. Perhaps it is sitting on the panel that does not show? I might remove the right panel or move it to the top and out of way of the bottom panel. And, if the issue is a big enough deal, you could always create a new user and abandon your old self since this is surely a setup issue in KDE. For me, once it is the right size, I don't really need that function anymore, but I only have the bottom panel and never felt I needed more, though having more than one is a valid option in KDE.

Thank You,
    My Blog: https://forums.opensuse.org/blogs/jdmcdaniel3/

Software efficiency halves every 18 months, thus compensating for Moore's Law

Its James again from Austin, Texas

Default Re: unable to resize panel

• Right click on the panel
    • Unlock widgets if needed (otherwise the cashew on the right is hidden)
    • select "Panel Options" -> "Panel Settings"
    • click on the button on the far right labeled "More Settings"
    • click on "Maximize Panel" for full width.

Indeed, the width buttons are gone. If you want to reduce the panel width, you can
    • open the file ~/.kde4/share/config/plasma-desktop-appletsrc with an editor (kwrite)
    • find out the [Containments] section which includes the string "plugin=panel" for example: [Containments][3]
    • Modify the start, end, witdh, height values of the "geometry" key in this section
    • Save this file and restart KDE.

* I tried to to that with a kwriteconfig command line, but it didn't work.

Blog Entries

So please_try_again, are you saying that you too are missing the width adjustments? I am using KDE 4.4.4 at release 8 it says and my width adjustment is still there. What would have caused the adjustment to go away on you?

Thank You,

I don't see these arrows anymore in KDE. I have no idea why they are missing.
    Apparently your release is more recent than mine. Maybe it is fixed now.

# kwriteconfig -v
    Qt: 4.6.3
    KDE Development Platform: 4.4.4 (KDE 4.4.4) "release 2"
    KWriteConfig: 1.0.0

Blog Entries

You know I seldom look at this, but after any update that does something to the kdebase4 file I see this number go up. Here is what it says now in "My Computer": 4.4.4 (KDE 4.4.4) "release 8". I am sure you could do an update if you wanted to try and see if it makes any difference. I never saw this function missing, but I cant say that I looked when KDE said release 2, which may have been after the first reinstall to go back to KDE 4.4.4 after having an issue with the KDE 4.5.1 update blast. Since I have stuck with KDE 4.4.4, all is working just fine for me. But, I do updates ever so often for the preset KDE 4.4.4, thus the release 8 I have now.

Thank You,

Well, I'm not a big fan of KDE. I just happen to configure it among other things. "release 2" is the one I have on the latest openSUSE 11.3 I installed as recently as yesterday without adding any KDE specific repo. I do have more recent KDE versions on other distros (Arch Linux for sure and probably Fedora). I'll take a look.

I checked in 4.4.2, 4.4.3, 4.4.5 and 4.5.1. The width adjustments are there and work as expected. They only vanished in 4.4.4 (release 2), but - as far as I can tell - this is the version installed/updated with openSUSE 11.3 if you're not using any KDE dedicated repo. Or at least, this the one I have here. I have one more openSUSE install on my schedule tonight.

I am also running release 2. The buttons were there at one time. I have removed the panel on the side, but still no buttons. I believe it has something to do with an update that was done at one time. I was adding a widget to the second panel when I noticed it. So I could not tell you which update affected it. Although I think it was within the last week or two.

Jd, could you tell me which repo you use to get the higher releases.

Curiouser and curiouser: here am I happily using 4.4.4 release 2 with the width buttons clearly visible at both ends of the panel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast