Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22

Thread: Is openSUSE carrying on bugs from its previous versions

  1. #1

    Default Is openSUSE carrying on bugs from its previous versions

    Hi

    I am a dedicated openSUSE user right from version 9 where at-least you could play all music and video files However from release 11.0 there has been a continuous trend of annoying bugs and issues and when a new release is out upon installing it hoping to escape the previous bugs you encounter more and more annoying ones.

    1. To start with there is already a thread here about the opera font problems.
    2. I use a windows domain to log into my system, the login prompt usually shows up and I have to wait for about 2 additional minutes before I can select my domain !!!!!!!
    3. When you add a new panel on gnome the panels do not show up unless you restart the machine.
    4. Evolution keeps on crashing on its own with this message that it would like to report a bug !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    5. I have installed XEN but when I try boot into it the screen just goes black !!!!!!!!!!!
    6. Volume manager is no longer in the panel widgets.

    Now my installation is just two days old, I preach openSuse linux here for my office users. I had lived or managed to sort if not live with the previous release bugs but now this is getting over board. Why release a version because its due rather than spend time making it stand out.

    This should discontinue, either stop releasing suse or stop giving us frustrating versions.



    TheMburu
    I am the bee, my head is just the beehive *

  2. #2

    Default Re: Is openSUSE carrying on bugs from its previous versions

    Quote Originally Posted by themburu View Post
    1. To start with there is already a thread here about the opera font problems.
    Bug number?
    Quote Originally Posted by themburu View Post
    2. I use a windows domain to log into my system, the login prompt usually shows up and I have to wait for about 2 additional minutes before I can select my domain !!!!!!!
    Bug number?
    Quote Originally Posted by themburu View Post
    3. When you add a new panel on gnome the panels do not show up unless you restart the machine.
    Bug number?
    Quote Originally Posted by themburu View Post
    4. Evolution keeps on crashing on its own with this message that it would like to report a bug !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Bug number?
    Quote Originally Posted by themburu View Post
    5. I have installed XEN but when I try boot into it the screen just goes black !!!!!!!!!!!
    Bug number?
    Quote Originally Posted by themburu View Post
    6. Volume manager is no longer in the panel widgets.
    Bug number?

    ...did you really expect another answer?

  3. #3

    Default Re: Is openSUSE carrying on bugs from its previous versions

    @RedDwarf, whatever you may call them bugs or issues they are all annoying problems and just to add to the list another one I had forgotten:

    7. I simply cannot do Ctrl + R on terminal. I use that instead of bang (!) to re-use my earlier command. Most are not there !!!!!!!!

    TheMburu
    I am the bee, my head is just the beehive *

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    24,982

    Default Re: Is openSUSE carrying on bugs from its previous versions

    RedDwarf's post is very to the point. When you used the word "bug" very loosely, you can read his answer very loosely as:
    . where are the threads you started for each of these problems on the forums;
    . what were the answers, did these answers solve your problems;
    . when yes, do these solutions not answer your problems anymore in newer levels;
    . when no, did you (or another) create bug reports;
    . what was the result of that, were there patches;
    . did a new openSUSE level fall back to the old level after the patches were in fact available (regression)?

    In short, what did you do and where is the evidence about what you did, to make openSUSE better and more suitable to your (and others) needs?

    And I can add, that when you want each of your seven problems addressed by these forums, please start seven threads with appropriate titles in appropriate sub-forums and there are lots op people here who will try to help you. They even will try to help you with filing bug reports when they think this should be done.

    Regards,
    Henk van Velden

  5. #5

    Default Re: Is openSUSE carrying on bugs from its previous versions

    -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
    Hash: SHA1

    One last point for themburu.... Ctrl+R has always worked for me since the
    9 versions through 11.3 which I have now. I use bash, which is probably
    obvious, but if you're using another shell that doesn't support Ctrl+R
    then that could be your issue.

    Good luck.






    On 09/21/2010 08:46 AM, hcvv wrote:
    >
    > RedDwarf's post is very to the point. When you used the word "bug" very
    > loosely, you can read his answer very loosely as:
    > . where are the threads you started for each of these problems on the
    > forums;
    > . what were the answers, did these answers solve your problems;
    > . when yes, do these solutions not answer your problems anymore in
    > newer levels;
    > . when no, did you (or another) create bug reports;
    > . what was the result of that, were there patches;
    > . did a new openSUSE level fall back to the old level after the patches
    > were in fact available (regression)?
    >
    > In short, what did you do and where is the evidence about what you did,
    > to make openSUSE better and more suitable to your (and others) needs?
    >
    > And I can add, that when you want each of your seven problems addressed
    > by these forums, please start seven threads with appropriate titles in
    > appropriate sub-forums and there are lots op people here who will try to
    > help you. They even will try to help you with filing bug reports when
    > they think this should be done.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    >

    -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
    Version: GnuPG v2.0.15 (GNU/Linux)
    Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla - http://enigmail.mozdev.org/

    iQIcBAEBAgAGBQJMmOTPAAoJEF+XTK08PnB5PR0QAK4SxWjzrKSN97XkOByBjWwx
    UyF4y0AHPqtGumHcxu7SpZgsK9L7C6qetRlpPqmTvNAYt/2Q9zC2doimAKErFwxH
    Ni143KZ0JEmUB0PEfNTPFXxY/xBNDhD4FG6C3xOPej9CJjdRwKcPPH9WvUpoUZ3B
    0zw0E3N6rKD68um6ha4kXkKrd9l0m23fDcaom/Rc14wC+ifeWifO9CbSivCP19xw
    A374Xjv8wHtN2GLXoHERaSbC0oOPEuRF2kdyJ/gYbQ08WriuB5uJ1XorgtMoI7aD
    lgYsnjYebxc6YP68fYIGOJtXNU7irBCpDSbAwrr73TcH5lM0sxSjJHBz09mOvj5m
    zYxsqryw2TROcv5/2dpMqvauTZFeqBXjUNccpo6DRrmK7+1F1zFgIThuXxZurIxE
    hT1fpHbjXdCAq7Nl3GgDMXUr0OQ+uIPq3tn/svlg2zSyys6ljTsubh1lP8kwRJEw
    kEOkrQAxR5/8P3706Zj2RzPO0Efe3JLR+TklRc3Z348NqAnzDMWmsizCWsAozuo7
    WuSot0fIrspR3PQzg7rcQE41V+w9Bb9qp1us0yyHhZMUj3LVaFe+/dID7jqGsM4Z
    EGEeW1J1Ifao4b3Zsf8SUg35y+MZcCPkW8oSFbeX7youtu3Y2aWIx1xQiMou8BGh
    9+yCIjnDx1118fuGepNu
    =eHi+
    -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

  6. #6

    Default Re: Is openSUSE carrying on bugs from its previous versions

    Hey

    I dont know what you mean by
    In short, what did you do and where is the evidence about what you did, to make openSUSE better and more suitable to your (and others) needs?
    Don't know if you expect me to tell you how much code I have contributed, but that's not the case. What if it was a newbie trying the new hyped Suse and encounters all these issues that would be a Suse fan lost, but I am a follower and having observed the trend it worries me coz how many of mine and more passions would just give up.

    to ab@novell.com
    I use bash too, the feature Ctrl + R does not always work and refuses to show some commands I had earlier used when Im running multiple tabs or terminals.

    Cheers
    TheMburu
    I am the bee, my head is just the beehive *

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    24,982

    Default Re: Is openSUSE carrying on bugs from its previous versions

    Quote Originally Posted by themburu View Post
    Hey

    I dont know what you mean by
    In short, what did you do and where is the evidence about what you did, to make openSUSE better and more suitable to your (and others) needs?
    When you fall over a loose tile on the street and you do not report that loose tile to the department that maintains roads, you must not be amazed you fall again over it next year.

    You have seven problems. As long as you do not ask for help here, or report bugs at openSUSE/Novell, change is big they will be there for years.

    These Forums are for openSUSE users to help openSUSE users. It is of nu use to complain here about problems to us (that maybe only you have) that are allready there for a long time. As long as you do not ask for help here (which may solve one or more of them easily, producing a thread that can be found by everybody who has the same problem), or file a bug with those who are on the developing/packaging site of openSUSE, not much will happen.
    Henk van Velden

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Belgrade, Serbia
    Posts
    719

    Default Re: Is openSUSE carrying on bugs from its previous versions

    I found out that the ODD versions of openSUSE just doesnt work properly. Probably because they try some new stuff that goes wrong way, which is usually polished in EVEN version.

    happened with 10.1, 10.3, 11.1 and now 11.3

    Worst problems were with 11.1 (speaking of my point of view, my hardware), it was so bad and buggy that made me leave opensuse for some other (after testing ubuntu, kubuntu, fedora and mint, I held on Mint KDE), until 11.2 came out.
    11.2 is just good. Plain and simply good.

    Then I made crucial mistake of upgrading it to 11.3 (will try to control myself not to upgrade to odd version ever again).
    Graphics in 11.3 just sucks. There are no major problems in 11.3 that I can point to, but whole picture, summerized, just sucks.
    Graphics doesnt work properly, system is generally slow, firefox (no matter which version) is like running on half speed.
    Nothiing make too much problems, but its far from being good.
    Even with my older kernel that was working superbly under 11.2 (which I compiled myself), same thing. So conclusion is that odd versions of opensuse is kinda testbed, rushed or whatever.

    Now I am thinking what shall I do... shall I downgrade to 11.2? - I dont like that option, will take me long time to adjust things the way wish and something may break in the way or shall I try something new... like Mint debian edition...
    Rolling release sounds kinda interesting.
    Emil Beli
    http://www.beli.ws/blog/
    openSUSE 11.4 x64 KDE, ATI 5600, i7 dell inspire laptop

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Earth - Denmark
    Posts
    10,730

    Default Re: Is openSUSE carrying on bugs from its previous versions

    beli0135 wrote:
    > I found out that the ODD versions of openSUSE just doesnt work properly.
    > Probably because they try some new stuff that goes wrong way, which is
    > usually polished in EVEN version.


    no! when you release on a _time_ schedule (as openSUSE does) you get
    what you get according to the clock/calendar...any (and every) release
    could have had "new stuff" and "polished stuff" both or neither, all
    at the same time..

    and they could have been numbered: 10.1, 10.3, 10.5, 11. 1 or they
    could have all been numbered evenly...

    --
    DenverD
    CAVEAT: http://is.gd/bpoMD [posted via NNTP w/openSUSE 10.3]
    When it comes to chocolate, resistance is futile.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Belgrade, Serbia
    Posts
    719

    Default Re: Is openSUSE carrying on bugs from its previous versions

    I told you my point of view. On my hardware, always had problems with odd versions. Maybe conclusion is wrong, but on my previous machine, 10.1 and 10.3 almost didnt work at all. On my current laptop, neither 11.1 and 11.3 work properly while 11.0 and 11.2 worked.
    Whatever it is, for me, odd versions till now, does not work as they should.
    Emil Beli
    http://www.beli.ws/blog/
    openSUSE 11.4 x64 KDE, ATI 5600, i7 dell inspire laptop

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •