Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What backup programs/plan do you have?

Default What backup programs/plan do you have?

I recently had a HD issue such that I finally respect the idea of a regular backup plan. So I'm looking for recommendations for both good backup programs as well as plans. Something that hopefully will let me setup:

1. Regular backup of:
      1. data
      2. application settings (maybe a backup program lets me run commands/batches?)
      3. packages/repos installed
      4. anything else important?

Default Re: What backup programs/plan do you have?

I divide my backup system in three parts: 1st - /-partition, 2nd - config-files in /home (including my mail-folders, Firefox-settings etc.), 3rd - random data such as music, videos and pictures.

1. For the /-partition I use Clonezilla, which is very reliable, easy to use and very fast (the 64bit version clones my 15GB /-partition in less than 5 minutes). I do so about twice a week, every clone is saved on a second internal HD and on an external HD, I always keep the last three clones.

2. The hidden files and folders in /home are backupped via rsync, also because it is pretty fast (incremental backup). In case someone doesn't get comfy with the command line rsync, I recommend →luckyBackup, which features pretty much any option of rsync plus lets you save settings in several profiles. I use rsync about two or three times a week and keep the last three syncs (also on the two different locations as above).

3. The rest (videos, music etc.) is burned on CDs or DVDs whenever my HD becomes full.

While it is always bad to loose data, I think that losing systemdata is the most painful. It would take ages to set up my system from scratch.

Quote Originally Posted by gropiuskalle View Post
    I divide my backup system in three parts: 1st - /-partition, 2nd - config-files in /home (including my mail-folders, Firefox-settings etc.), 3rd - random data such as music, videos and pictures.

1. For the /-partition I use Clonezilla, which is very reliable, easy to use and very fast (the 64bit version clones my 15GB /-partition in less than 5 minutes). I do so about twice a week, every clone is saved on a second internal HD and on an external HD, I always keep the last three clones.

2. The hidden files and folders in /home are backupped via rsync, also because it is pretty fast (incremental backup). In case someone doesn't get comfy with the command line rsync, I recommend →luckyBackup, which features pretty much any option of rsync plus lets you save settings in several profiles. I use rsync about two or three times a week and keep the last three syncs (also on the two different locations as above).

3. The rest (videos, music etc.) is burned on CDs or DVDs whenever my HD becomes full.

While it is always bad to loose data, I think that losing systemdata is the most painful. It would take ages to set up my system from scratch.
    Thanks. One question: how do you schedule those things to run? Do you do them in cron or in the programs or just do it manually?

Just manually when I have the time - Clonezilla has to be started via a live-system anyway. However, it's pretty easy to set up an rsync-cronjob (once you've got the rsync-options straight).

I use Back in Time available in the repos. It's basically a front end to rsync and allows you to take snapshots at predefined intervals and is easy to use. It uses hardlinks to files that haven't changed so minimises the space used for the backup. Works well and have been using it for over a year now on all my systems.

I'll look at luckybackup too out of interest.
    IBM Thinkpad X60s | Intel L2400 | Intel 945GM | 3GB | openSUSE Tumbleweed
    Dell XPS 13 9360 | openSUSE Leap 42.3

hi,

from my personal experience Clonezilla is a monster in the backup-recovery field, it is like the old Ghost from s***ntec. -> my favorite!

i use this since a couple of years ago and it is really a great project in my point of view, che it out: flyback - Project Hosting on Google Code

rsync of course, major tool.

ill check that back in time though..

My strategy is doing monthly (and just before every major changing of system config) image backup with free version of Macrium and nightly incremental backup of my music, photos etc with Handy Backup. 1st helps me to restore my system quickly, 2nd - to keep my important files safe. The best storage is RAID5 NAS imho, but if you don't have it, simple external 2TB HDD is Ok.

A lot depends on how much data you have to backup and how many changes you make in /. If you make few changes in /, then the only thing you may need to look out for is backing up mysql which I do by using mysqldump to make a backup in /home and then backing up /home which I do weekly or fortnightly depending on how much work I have done recently. This, of course, automatically backs up all my settings, emails etc. As I have less than a DVD's worth of data in /home, a single DVD suffices and I use the child, parent, grandparent system.

Because a backup of / often takes longer to restore than a fresh install, I no longer bother to backup /. I just remember my configuration and do a fresh install. After problems with KDE4.5.1, I had / restored with KDE4.4.4 within an hour or so including all my mysql data but that was the first time in four years that I had done that.

If you have a fast upload check out Spideroak. It's very useful as it will automatically sync your files. You will need a fast upload though.
    Samsung RV510 + openSUSE 12.1 64bit + KDE 4.7.2

Quote Originally Posted by Raffles10 View Post
    If you have a fast upload check out Spideroak. It's very useful as it will automatically sync your files. You will need a fast upload though.
    Thanks but I don't trust anyone else with my data.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast