Firefox 3.6 Flash full screen

Hi,

I have had problems with this since upgrading from 11.2 to 11.3.

In 11.3 with just the basic repositories (Non-OSS, OSS and Updates) once I pushed the full screen button on an embedded youtube video a different window opened and i had to tap ALT+TAB to see the video. After pushing ESC the windows disappeared and just the original firefox windows was shown, however at some times it would hang my X server.

Now I’m using the following repositories (sorry for polish output of the command but I don’t know how to change it to English)

1 | KDE4.5 | KDE4.5 | Tak | Nie | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /repositories/KDE:/Release:/45/openSUSE_11.3 |
2 | mozilla | openSUSE BuildService - Mozilla | Tak | Tak | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /repositories/mozilla/openSUSE_11.3 |
3 | packman | Packman Repository | Tak | Tak | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /suse/11.3/ |
4 | repo-11.3-non-oss | openSUSE-11.3 Non-OSS | Tak | Nie | 99 | yast2 | Index of /distribution/11.3/repo/non-oss |
5 | repo-11.3-oss | openSUSE-11.3 OSS | Tak | Nie | 99 | yast2 | Index of /distribution/11.3/repo/oss |
6 | repo-11.3-update | openSUSE-11.3 Updates | Tak | Tak | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /update/11.3

And everything seemed to be working fine untill I upgraded python-qt4 package to version 4.7.3-3.7. Now sometimes immediately after pushing full screen button in an embedded youtube video the whole system hangs (I’m not able to switch to a different tty and reboot the X server from command line).

Thanks for help in advance.

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

Just to add a bit of verification, I’ve seen the same thing. I no longer
full-screen Flash-based crap as a workaround, but sometimes it’d sure be
nice to have. I haven’t tried the Flash released by Adobe last week but
that may be an option.

On 09/20/2010 08:36 AM, glistwan wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I have had problems with this since upgrading from 11.2 to 11.3.
>
> In 11.3 with just the basic repositories (Non-OSS, OSS and Updates)
> once I pushed the full screen button on an embedded youtube video a
> different window opened and i had to tap ALT+TAB to see the video. After
> pushing ESC the windows disappeared and just the original firefox
> windows was shown, however at some times it would hang my X server.
>
> Now I’m using the following repositories (sorry for polish output of
> the command but I don’t know how to change it to English)
>
> 1 | KDE4.5 | KDE4.5 | Tak |
> Nie | 99 | rpm-md | ‘Index of
> /repositories/KDE:/Release:/45/openSUSE_11.3’
> (http://tinyurl.com/2whoy8q) |
> 2 | mozilla | openSUSE BuildService - Mozilla | Tak |
> Tak | 99 | rpm-md | ‘Index of
> /repositories/mozilla/openSUSE_11.3’
> (http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/mozilla/openSUSE_11.3/)
> |
> 3 | packman | Packman Repository | Tak |
> Tak | 99 | rpm-md | ‘Index of /suse/11.3/’
> (http://packman.inode.at/suse/11.3/)
> |
> 4 | repo-11.3-non-oss | openSUSE-11.3 Non-OSS | Tak |
> Nie | 99 | yast2 | ‘Index of
> /distribution/11.3/repo/non-oss’
> (http://download.opensuse.org/distribution/11.3/repo/non-oss/)
> |
> 5 | repo-11.3-oss | openSUSE-11.3 OSS | Tak |
> Nie | 99 | yast2 | ‘Index of /distribution/11.3/repo/oss’
> (http://download.opensuse.org/distribution/11.3/repo/oss/)
> |
> 6 | repo-11.3-update | openSUSE-11.3 Updates | Tak |
> Tak | 99 | rpm-md | ‘Index of /update/11.3’
> (http://download.opensuse.org/update/11.3/)
>
> And everything seemed to be working fine untill I upgraded one of the
> KDE packages yesterday (something connected with python). Now sometimes
> immediately after pushing full screen button in an embedded youtube
> video the whole system hangs (I’m not able to switch to a different tty
> and reboot the X server from command line).
>
> Thanks for help in advance.
>
>
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v2.0.15 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla - http://enigmail.mozdev.org/
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=TwFK
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

I also have similar failure with Flash and full-screen but it doesn’t always result in crash, with Firefox or SeaMonkey, and with streaming from BBC iPlayer website. These bugs have several reports on novell bugzilla. Mine is probably related to the “intel” driver one, as I have intel integrated grapnics GM45 chipset.

I see. Thanks a lot for help guys. I have intel integrated graphics here as well so I guess I might be in the same situation as consused.
The funny thing is that it seems to work better in opera :slight_smile:

Just to clarify I didn’t say it always crashes anything but sometimes it happens and it doesn’t matter as soon as I can use a different tty to kill X server, however a full system crash is quite annoying.

To clarify furtherer I’m using openSUSE 11.3 32 bit version on Asus UL80a laptop and the sticker says it’s got INTEL Int. GMA 4500MHD inside, whatever that means :slight_smile:

Oh and I always used the flash player from adobe, the latest version from the updates repo.

Yes, you appear to be in the same situation, the only obvious differences here being 64bit and Flash as provided by openSUSE repos. The GM45 chipset on my lenovo ThinkPad has the integrated GMA 4500MHD video adapter. I get the full-screen Flash issue with 11.3’s (OOTB) “intel” driver. It’s automatically configured and loaded by Xorg (verified in /var/log/Xorg.0.log). That driver was installed by the package xorg-x11-driver-video.

There is a workaround available, and it checks out ok on my 11.3 test partition, giving full-screen with Flash and so far no hiccups. It uses another intel driver with a different loadmodule called “intellegacy”, provided by the package xorg-x11-driver-video-intel-legacy. That was also installed with my 11.3 installation.

First, make sure that package is installed on your system. To load “intellegacy” driver at startup, you should edit (as root e.g. using kdesu) the file /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/50-device.conf to add this line:

Driver "intellegacy"

For example:

Section "Device"
  Identifier "Default Device"

#Driver "radeon"

## Required magic for radeon/radeonhd drivers; output name
  ## (here: "DVI-0") can be figured out via 'xrandr -q'
  #Option "monitor-DVI-0" "Default Monitor"

Driver "intellegacy"

EndSection

Save, and restart/reboot to load the new driver.

You can verify the change of driver to “intellegacy” in /var/log/Xorg.0.log ;).

Thanks a lot once more. I’ll try this one as soon as I’ll get home :slight_smile: Doesn’t this change performance or some power saving features ?

You’re welcome. Let us know how it goes.

Good question re performance etc. DPMS and performance seems to work as expected. I was testing KDE 4.5.1 on this system, so that makes close comparison less reliable, but generally it feels more stable with “intellegacy”. It isn’t dependent on KMS, but don’t know exactly why openSUSE forked the driver. Haven’t noticed any adverse effects yet, although I did spot a couple of error messages towards the end of Xorg.0.log but not about graphics. I forgot to copy the old Xorg.0.log to compare, as it gets renewed on X startup. You should remember to do that.

It actually solved my problem as far as I can tell :slight_smile: I’ve watched a lot of flash videos and resized them quite often without experiencing any unexpected behaviuor.

Didn’t save my old Xorg.0.log as well but isn’t it posible to quickly switch back to intel driver and the log will look exactly like the old one ?

Anyways thank you very much for help.

No matter, and it was only for you to compare for any issues. You can switch back by commenting out the additional line, saving, and restarting.

Enjoy the full-screen playback, as I am now. :slight_smile:

Hi,

Just wanted to report that it’s working now properly with the intel driver.
A lot of things have chaged on my system for example I’ve got the latest flash player, kde 4.5.3, and some kernel updates were done as well.
So I really don’t know what was the problem but I’m not experiencing it atm :slight_smile:

Best regards,
Greg

I just installed openSUSE 11.3 and was having the same problem with most videos in Firefox 3.6.6. Half the time the monitor would completely freeze and the only solution was to reboot. This workaround seems to have fixed everything! Thanks.

You are very welcome, and I asume you now have the “intellegacy” driver installed. I would be interested to know what intel chipset you are using, as it may also help others who come upon this thread looking for a fix. You can get this information from the first three messages (more lines due to wrap) from running this command in a terminal as root (su -):

lspci -nnk

Firefox is now at 3.6.13 if all the openSUSE security updates are applied.

On the “intel” driver problem, one of the openSUSE standard kernel updates was supposed to have fixed the full-screen freeze, but it seems not for everyone. Having applied the update, I disabled screensavers here (KDE or Gnome setting) as that also triggered the problem, but after a while at some random time, the full-screen froze again. Since then, I have upgraded my kernel-desktop from the standard 2.6.34 to 2.6.36 and that cured the problem completely. more recently I upgraded it again to 2.6.37 and all is well. However, those upgrades are always done with risks to one’s system stability. It may be safer to wait until openSUSE 11.4 is available in March, as it will come with the 2.6.37 kernel.

Depending on your intel graphics chipset type, it would be better to return to the intel driver at the earliest opportunity. The “intellegacy” driver is at 2.9.x and probably won’t be updated or maintained in future. Standard openSUSE 11.3 comes with “intel” driver at 2.12.0, and 11.4 will have 2.13.0 or higher.

Glad you are able to enjoy your system with the workaround provided by the openSUSE graphics-driver packager, as I did. :slight_smile:

lspci -nnk
00:00.0 Host bridge [0600]: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset Memory Controller Hub [8086:2a40] (rev 07)
	Subsystem: Dell Device [1028:02aa]
	Kernel driver in use: agpgart-intel
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller [8086:2a42] (rev 07)
	Kernel driver in use: i915
00:02.1 Display controller [0380]: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller [8086:2a43] (rev 07)

While I can watch full-screen videos now with “intellegacy”, I just realized that I lost all of the fun desktop effects. I tried enabling desktop effects (even though it warned me that my hardware might not support it) and that completely crashed my computer. I was unable to log back in, so I had to log in as a different user and disable “intellegacy” before I could log back in as myself. And then, of course, full-screen flash video stopped working again.

I upgraded to Firefox 3.6.13, but that didn’t help anything. I guess I’ll just wait for openSUSE 11.4.

Thanks for the info. We have the same Intel GM45 chipset and graphics device, although mine is a lenovo ThinkPad.

Hmm, I don’t recall if I had the problem with desktop effects with “intellegacy”. I returned to intel when I thought the fix had been applied to the standard 11.3 kernel, and couldn’t be bothered to go back after I discovered the fix hadn’t worked here. I upgraded the kernels on an 11.3 test partition, so at least I can watch full-screen internet video there.

Didn’t expect the Firefox update to make any difference, but it’s safer to be using that. Not long now to wait for 11.4 :).