Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Unable to boot CentOS 5.5 with SUSE 11.3 grub

Default Re: Unable to boot CentOS 5.5 with SUSE 11.3 grub

Quote Originally Posted by caf4926 View Post
    The question I have for you is:
    If Grub2 from Ubuntu is booting everything, wouldn't it perhaps be easier to use that. What is wrong with it, apart from it being Butt Ugly.

However managing booting from SUSE would be fine,, though you will need to manually edit all entries. I think we have already outlined the principles of doing that.

As for the error. Umm.. perhaps try and be more specific than: returns kernel error (not supported or something),
    Grub2 cant be fixed easily and if there a Kernel update for Fedora, centos, pclinuxos, etc., modifying grub2 will be very difficult. SUSE grub is very reliable and easy to modify.

The kernel error doesnt really make any sense, have not got specific details. I will now try gparted from Mint amd64 kernel and get back with the error.

[QUOTEIt's possible with newer libata drivers but some older ones might still have the SCSI 16 minor numbers limitation. It depends pretty much on kernel version and compilation. I wouldn't create new partitions on a HD which contains Unix primary partitions. The Linux kernel read the Unix disklabel and add "pseudo" partitions after the last "real" logical partition. I'm quite sure gparted cannot handle that and will get confused. If you want to add logical partitions, hide your FreeBSD primary first by changing id 0xA5 to something else and reboot... or do it 'on the fly' with Grub using the parttype command (just before booting).[/QUOTE]

I have 19 partitions atm, trying to make few more.

Quote Originally Posted by please_try_again View Post
    Yep. Since kernel 2.26.??. I have about 40 partitions on SATA disks now. But half of them are UNIX slices (ufs) numbered after the last Linux logical, as I described in my previous post. Creating new DOS/Linux logicals after those devices have been created would be a mess.
    Will it be possible to migrate FreeBSD on logical volume.

Quote Originally Posted by avenuemax View Post
    Grub2 cant be fixed easily and if there a Kernel update for Fedora, centos, pclinuxos, etc., modifying grub2 will be very difficult.
    You just have to rerun update-grub. It doesn't get everything correctly (still has trouble parsing Mandriva's grub syntax, for example). But it's easy to fix. And it appends to /boot/grub/grub.cfg everything (but the 3 first lines) found in /etc/grub.d/40_custom, so you can put all your Unix and chainloads there.

Will it be possible to migrate FreeBSD on logical volume.
    I knew you were going to ask that. But the answer is no.

Lightbulb Re: Unable to boot CentOS 5.5 with SUSE 11.3 grub

You just have to rerun update-grub. It doesn't get everything correctly (still has trouble parsing Mandriva's grub syntax, for example). But it's easy to fix. And it appends to /boot/grub/grub.cfg everything (but the 3 first lines) found in /etc/grub.d/40_custom, so you can put all your Unix and chainloads there.
    Grub2 picks Linux and windows easily but it doesnt work with ufs or zfs. I just managed to copy all appends from grub2, will make it easy to hook centos with SUSE Grub.

In all honesty I just dont like the way grub2 is designed. BSD console looks more sexy compared to grub2.

I knew you were going to ask that. But the answer is no.
    I have not installed its boot manager, it wont hurt to try.

Quote Originally Posted by caf4926 View Post
    The question I have for you is:
    If Grub2 from Ubuntu is booting everything, wouldn't it perhaps be easier to use that. What is wrong with it, apart from it being Butt Ugly.

However managing booting from SUSE would be fine,, though you will need to manually edit all entries. I think we have already outlined the principles of doing that.

As for the error. Umm.. perhaps try and be more specific than: returns kernel error (not supported or something),

managed to fix partition error.

Blog Entries

managed to fix partition error.

It would be nice to let us know how you fixed that........
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Board#Members
    http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

I used Parted.

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast