Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Unable to boot CentOS 5.5 with SUSE 11.3 grub

Default Re: Unable to boot CentOS 5.5 with SUSE 11.3 grub

I understand that one can create 60 odd logical partitions on an extended partition.
    It's 63 for (E)IDE. But 15 for SCSI, SATA and Firewire disks.

Quote Originally Posted by avenuemax View Post
    In order to get CentOS boot I installed Ubuntu 10.10 beta and updated its grub. It boots CentOS fine and picked up everything but Unix.
    In Ubuntu add the following to /etc/grub.d/40_custom :

Code:
    menuentry  "FreeBSD 8.0" {
        set root=(hd0,2,a)
        freebsd /boot/loader
    }
    or/and

Code:
    menuentry  "FreeBSD 8.0" {
        set root=(hd0,2)
        chainloader +1
    }
    then rerun update-grub

I wish to reinstall SUSE 11.2 Grub on extended partition and manage the boot from there. Secondly, I tried to create more logical partitions on extended partition but I get some error. Wish to install 7 more OS on same disk. Have tried gparted live cd but it returns kernel error (not supported or something), I understand that one can create 60 odd logical partitions on an extended partition.
    It's possible with newer libata drivers but some older ones might still have the SCSI 16 minor numbers limitation. It depends pretty much on kernel version and compilation. I wouldn't create new partitions on a HD which contains Unix primary partitions. The Linux kernel read the Unix disklabel and add "pseudo" partitions after the last "real" logical partition. I'm quite sure gparted cannot handle that and will get confused. If you want to add logical partitions, hide your FreeBSD primary first by changing id 0xA5 to something else and reboot... or do it 'on the fly' with Grub using the parttype command (just before booting).

Quote Originally Posted by dvhenry View Post
    It's 63 for (E)IDE. But 15 for SCSI, SATA and Firewire disks.
    Not any more.

Blog Entries

The question I have for you is:
    If Grub2 from Ubuntu is booting everything, wouldn't it perhaps be easier to use that. What is wrong with it, apart from it being Butt Ugly.

However managing booting from SUSE would be fine,, though you will need to manually edit all entries. I think we have already outlined the principles of doing that.

As for the error. Umm.. perhaps try and be more specific than: returns kernel error (not supported or something),
    Leap 15.1_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

Not any more.
    It's changed?

Quote Originally Posted by caf4926 View Post
    The question I have for you is:
    If Grub2 from Ubuntu is booting everything, wouldn't it perhaps be easier to use that. What is wrong with it, apart from it being Butt Ugly.
    It lacks some functionality, like the abibility of rewriting each partition table entry before booting ... and if the OP is serious about multibooting, he will end up rewriting partition tables 'on the fly' sooner or later ...

Quote Originally Posted by dvhenry View Post
    It's changed?
    Yep. Since kernel 2.26.??. I have about 40 partitions on SATA disks now. But half of them are UNIX slices (ufs) numbered after the last Linux logical, as I described in my previous post. Creating new DOS/Linux logicals after those devices have been created would be a mess.

@ caf
    I actually answered a question which wasn't addressed to me. Sorry.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by please_try_again View Post
    It lacks some functionality, like the abibility of rewriting each partition table entry before booting ... and if the OP is serious about multibooting, he will end up rewriting partition tables 'on the fly' sooner or later ...
    It's OK about answering. It's helpful, but can you explain this comment. I lack understanding here..
    Leap 15.1_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

Quote Originally Posted by caf4926 View Post
    It's OK about answering. It's helpful, but can you explain this comment. I lack understanding here..
    The command partnew has been removed from Grub2.
    Here's an example on how to use it in legacy Grub :

Code:
    ###Don't change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name: linux###
    title openSUSE 11.3 (Teal) - kernel 2.6.34.7-0.2
        partnew (hd0,1) 0xA5     514080   65593394
        partnew (hd0,2) 0xA5   66107475   65593394
        partnew (hd1,1) 0xA5   18539010  534016664
        partnew (hd1,2) 0xA5  554724450   79698464
        root (hd0,10)
        kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.34.7-0.2-desktop root=/dev/disk/by-uuid/4def244d-7b5d-4244-b4ef-fea4ec7b5fba resume=/dev/disk/by-uuid/af60d788-e369-4683-8aa2-8668092e0e72 splash=silent quiet showopts vga=0x31a
        initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.34.7-0.2-desktop
    I don't need to tell you that it should be used with care. It's usefull if you need more then 4 or want to move primary partitions, and it's not a problem - as long as they don't overlap!

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast