Problem accessing a usb flash drive

I don’t know why, but all of a sudden when I plug in a Corsair flash drive with a fat32 files system, it registers on the notifier, but when I try to open it in Dolphin, Dolphin opens in the /home/documents folder. Ditto when I try it as root. Media won’t open to anything, and when I click on the Corsair listing in the folders on the left side of Dolphin, I get the error message: unknown file system ‘vfat’.

I have used this drive for over a year with no previous problems, and can access it in 11.3 on my laptop, so I suspect that a setting or something in my system has changed. Unfortunately, I don’t have a clue as to what to look for and would appreciate any help or suggestions anyone can offer.

You do realize these device do not last forever?
The memory used has a limited number of write erase cycles and unlike SSD’s do not load level or have extra cells for replacement.

Try on another machine.

…and maybe reformat if necessary.

It seems that this problem extends to all flash drives.

I used the mount command with no parameters and find that external hard drives are getting mounted, but flash drives are not.

The flash drives are good ones and I can access them on other machines. They just don’t mount on this machine. Last week they did, and I am at a loss to figure out why.
The only thing that has changed from a system standpoint are the ones made through the update applet.

BTW, I am running KDE 4 as my desktop. Don’t know if that makes any difference or not.

I would try to mount it manually. Find out how opensuse is identifying your drive by doing

fdisk -l 

It should be obvious by the size which one is your thumb drive.
Now make sure you have a mount point in /media or somewhere and mount it.

mount /dev/sdaX /media/thumbdrive

Modify that command to fit your system. If it fails to mount that way, post the error from the mount command.
If the drives are removed improperly during use, they’ll be flagged as dirty and won’t mount the next time. A disk check in windows will clear the flag.

When I issued the mount command, this is what I got:

mount: mount point /media/thumbdrive does not exist

This happened to me with a Sandisk flash drive I solved it for me like this:
1.place the flash drive in the usb slot
2.Kickoff>Applications>File Manager>File Manager - Super User Mode
3.If the drive shows up in Dolphin Super User Mode on the left click on it
4.Now in the right pane of Dolphin(contents may or may not show)right click
5.Select Properties> Permissions tab
6.Set the Owner, Group, & Others to Can View & Modify Content
7. If checked uncheck Only Owner can rename and delete folder content
8.leave user & group as root
9.click OK exit Super user Mode
If all has gone well it should work now.
Why it happens I don’t know but in my case it worked in one PC but not the other the above made it work in both.

oldpopsie,
You also mentioned an update. Something else to check Kickoff>Configure Desktop>Removable Devices see If you have Enable Automatic mounting of removable devices checked.

Thanks, that worked.
It’s really strange, because it says it is changing the permissions, but it doesn’t if you go back in and look, although it will now let you access the drive/files. Weird.

Also, where do I find Kickoff>Configure Desktop>Removable Devices?
I am using KDE 4 and a lot of this stuff has changed.

It say Personal settings (Configure Desktop).

But I’m using the old style menu I really hate the new Kickoff menu.

oldpopsie,
Thanks, that worked.
It’s really strange, because it says it is changing the permissions, but it doesn’t if you go back in and look, although it will now let you access the drive/files. Weird.

Also, where do I find Kickoff>Configure Desktop>Removable Devices?
I am using KDE 4 and a lot of this stuff has changed.

Try it this way:
1.click Kickoff then select Configure Desktop
2) A. in icon view look for Hardware it is 4th Row of icons look for then select the Removable Devices (icon looks like CD-Drive)
B. in tree view Hardware is 4th item from top in Left pane click Hardware in the right pane Removable Devices is 7th item
3. if you want to duplicate as close as possible the kde3.5 look ,at top of Configure Desktop in toolbar at top is Configure
4. Click that in the box that comes up check tree view
That’ll get a 3.5 ish look

I had the same problem. After the update described here:
[security-announce] SUSE Security Announcement: openSUSE 11.2 kernel (SU](http://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-security-announce/2010-09/msg00011.html)
It seemed my computer was not able to read any of my usb flash drives.
This problem vanished after a restart of my computer.