Installation of KDE 3 along side KDE 4?

So, I came across this repository: Index of /repositories/KDE:/KDE3/openSUSE_11.3. Right now I’ve KDE4 installed on my system. Can I install KDE3 alongside it safely?

Yes, since the packages do not have name-conflicts (“kde3”-prefix) and config-files are saved separately (~/.kde and ~/.kde4). It’s also possible to start KDE3 apps within KDE4 and vice versa.

But you’ll probably regret it.
If you have 11.3 I recommend Gnome or LXDE

Thanks. I’ve installed KDE3. Installation was without hiccups and the DE seems to be working quite well until now.

caf4926 says:

But you’ll probably regret it.
If you have 11.3 I recommend Gnome or LXDE
Hello caf4926. It would seem that you do not think much of KDE, AND I expect your recommendations for Gnome & LXDE are likely to be very valid.

However, running KDE4 (not the old KDE3 desktop) and running selected KDE 3 applications (such as kaffeine/kde3, screensavers & games) has not so far proven a disaster for me while using the KDE 4 desktop. So, I would not say one would end up regretting loading these into KDE 4, it does work for me, so far.

Thank You,

My main Desktop is KDE4 and I would say I’m pretty much die hard KDE.

I admit I might have been a little severe saying: regret it!
I loved KDE3, but I use that in past tense. I was trying kde3 just last week after a great deal of dispute here in the forum. I’m glad I did. I’ll not be looking back that way again.
But if it pleases you. I’m fine with that.

I have grown accustom to using a few KDE3 apps and will be sad to see them no longer work under KDE4. None the less, I am not going backwards either. I was doing OK before I found them to start with and will do OK in the future without them as well. While in the middle, I shall enjoy them while I can.

Thank You,

That is the joy of openSUSE; you still have the choice and. though in most respects KDE4 is now more fully featured than KDE3, there are still a couple of areas where KDE3 apps have features that have yet to migrate; you can use those apps perfectly happily alongside KDE4 apps in openSUSE.

same here. i mainly use kde4 but do prefer the odd kd3 programme still