Booted from USB, cannot mount/access other hard drives!!

I have booted up from openSUSE 11.3 on a USB stick. When i go into Dolphin (the file explorer) and try to open a harddrive, I get the error:

An error occurred while accessing 'MyHardDrive', the system responded: org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.PermissionDeniedByPolicy: org.freedesktop.hal.storage.mount-fixed auth_admin_keep_always <-- (action,result)

What can I do?

Open a terminal and type: su

Once root eg if your partition is ext4 do: mount -t ext4 /dev/sd?? /path-to/mount-point

Thanks, that did it! :slight_smile: (And sorry for the thousand and one questions today. It is a unique day for me… :frowning: )

Wait, 2 questions:

1. Will this persist across reboots

2. Is there a recommended path I should set for the mount point? like /home/extradrive?

No.
I thought this was a live system.
Only in a install can you edit /etc/fstab to set mounting of devices to specific locations

It is now an installed OS. Yet, this is still happening! Any idea why? What do I put in /etc/fstab to make this persist?

I have to sleep now
But post your fdisk -l info and tell me which partition it is and where you would like it mounted Eg: In a folder called My_Media or whatever
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h191KrDK-I0)

[QUOTE=caf4926;2224689]I have to sleep now
But post your fdisk -l info and tell me which partition it is and where you would like it mounted Eg: In a folder called My_Media or whatever

Thanks for helping. I have an additional question after the fdisk results below:

Disk /dev/sda: 320.1 GB, 320072933376 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 38913 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x00037060

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sda1 1 262 2103296 82 Linux swap / Solaris
Partition 1 does not end on cylinder boundary.
/dev/sda2 * 262 2873 20972544 83 Linux
/dev/sda3 2873 38914 289494016 83 Linux

Disk /dev/sdb: 160.0 GB, 160041885696 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 19457 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x5c83a37f

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sdb1 1 19457 156288321 83 Linux

Why does it say, “Partition 1 does not end on cylinder boundary.” Is this a bad thing? This partition setup was openSUSE Installer’s auto setup.

Thanks!

Don’t worry too much about it if all is working OK
Google the phrase: Partition 1 does not end on cylinder boundary
It will reveal info

Were you going to tell me the partition you want mounting and placename

Opps, sorry! (I can be dense sometimes)

I want to mount /dev/sdb. And I suppose I’d like to name it “Extra_Storage”. As for the path to it, does it make sense to put it in something like /dev or /media? It’s an internal HD that’s set to cable select. Thanks!

One quick question: in the “fdisk -l” it says that disk is 160GB, but Dolphin lists it as 149GB. Why the huge discrepancy?

Formated size is different then RAW size since formating takes up space. fdisk is telling you the RAW size and Dolphin is telling you the formated size.

Add a line to /etc/fstab like this (I’m assuming it’s ext4, edit as necessary if different)

/dev/sdb1 /EXTRA_STORAGE ext4 defaults 0 0

Now in a su - terminal do

mkdir /EXTRA_STORAGE

Reboot
(we may have to do some ownership stuff, but see)

*Just in case…
FSTAB - Editing Manually

A few questions:

1. Why /dev/sdb instead of using the by-id?
  2. It is a physically different HD, does this matter (still use sdb1)?
  3. Why is the “check” column 0 0? Shouldn’t I have the system check for errors?

OK, now i’m getting a new error:

An error occurred while accessing ‘149.0 GiB Hard Drive’, the system responded: mount: only root can mount /dev/sdb1 on /extra_storage

I should mention:

1. I do not log in as root
  2. My root/admin password is different than my main user’s password

Use Dolphin super user
View the folder /extra_storage and right click it > properties >
Change permissions like this
ImageBam - Fast, Free Image Hosting and Photo Sharing

Argh! I still get the same error!! :frowning:

Whoah! I checked the propeties -> permissions again in Dolphin super user and they were not applied! I re-applied them, and now they work! Weird.

Thanks for your help!

Two questions:

1. Will this no persist across reboots?
  2. Why did this happen in the first place?

Did you check the the apply to all sub folders, reboot?
If still not working…

as su -
from the terminal

chown -R <your user name> /extra_storage

I think…

It’s permanent
KDE bugs
Just works in Gnome

Can you just post fstab please for me
I’m wondering if there was already an entry by ID

1. They do persist across reboots. But you created the folder again, or a different one.
  2. This happened because you created the folder manually, as root. New folders have a default permission order of rwxr-xr-x, this means others than the owner cannot write in the folder.