Thread: Problem with VirtualBox

Default Problem with VirtualBox

I have installed virtualbox on opensuse 11.2 64bit.

When I go to open a machine it says

"Failed to open a session for the virtual machine Windows XP.
    The virtual machine 'Windows XP' has terminated unexpectedly during startup with exit code 1."

"
    Result Code:
    NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)
    Component:
    Machine
    Interface:
    IMachine {6d9212cb-a5c0-48b7-bbc1-3fa2ba2ee6d2}
    "

"Kernel driver not installed (rc=-1908)

The VirtualBox Linux kernel driver (vboxdrv) is either not loaded or there is a permission problem with /dev/vboxdrv. Please reinstall the kernel module by executing

'/etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup'

as root. Users of Ubuntu, Fedora or Mandriva should install the DKMS package first. This package keeps track of Linux kernel changes and recompiles the vboxdrv kernel module if necessary."

I am not very good with these kinds of things, could anybody help?
    I downloaded it from here Linux_Downloads - VirtualBox if that helps.

Default Re: Problem with VirtualBox

Fixed it now

Mind if I ask how you resolved it? I am having the same issue. I will do some more troubleshooting in the meantime. Thanks.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by skelly013 View Post
    Mind if I ask how you resolved it? I am having the same issue. I will do some more troubleshooting in the meantime. Thanks.
    Probably as su -

/etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup
    Leap 15.1_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

Problem seems to be the installation did not install the /etc/init.d/vboxdrv

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by skelly013 View Post
    Problem seems to be the installation did not install the /etc/init.d/vboxdrv
    You have to run this after kernel updates, it's not a package, it rebuilds the kernel module
    Leap 15.1_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

Is this automatically ran on certain setup? I've had the updater update the kernel twice but never had to do this. I don't have XP running though, just Win7.

Quote Originally Posted by fading View Post
    Is this automatically ran on certain setup? I've had the updater update the kernel twice but never had to do this. I don't have XP running though, just Win7.
    It has nothing to do with Windows. It's about updating the linux kernel module.

Also depends on how you installed Vbox. I Install the generic Linux package and compile the kernel modules. I need to reinstall after every Kernel update. This is no problem since it takes about 3 min. But if you installed via RPM the kernel modules are "supposed to be" pre linked and should sync with the new kernel. But sometimes this vbox repo may lag the kernel update and then you may need to run the setup to fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by gogalthorp View Post
    Also depends on how you installed Vbox. I Install the generic Linux package and compile the kernel modules. I need to reinstall after every Kernel update. This is no problem since it takes about 3 min. But if you installed via RPM the kernel modules are "supposed to be" pre linked and should sync with the new kernel. But sometimes this vbox repo may lag the kernel update and then you may need to run the setup to fix it.
    Probably I installed via rpm then. I forgot how I install it, but most likely through yast.