Problems with Dropbox

I searched for Dropbox using the Suse and packman repos with no luck. So:
I downloaded the source and tried to compile it. configure said I had a library that was too old. The only new one I could find was in an unrecognizable repo so I was afraid to install it. So:
I went to Build service. I found an older version of Dropbox and installed it. The folder is there and a shared folder is updated properly.

However, right clicking on a file in the public folder does not show a copy the link option. Nor does the option appear in the pictures folder. I see no way to offer to share a folder in the root dropbox folder.

I am trying to use dropbox on openSUSE 11.3 using kde.

Malcomlewis, the version offered is 4.x.x The versions shown on the dropbox website is 6.x.x. Can you provide an update?

caf4926, I see you post dropbox links. Do you use kde? Is your graphic app acting correctly?

Anyone? suggestions?

Bart

Dropbox 6 is in the Contrib repo.
There’s also SpiderOak in the non-oss repo.

Thank you!
I added that repo to Yast and installed it. I should now remove that repo, right?
When I use nautilus, I now get the option to copy the link address.
However:
The copy does not go to the kde clipboard. I guess it’s looking for a Gnome clipboard? How would I either change that, or use it?
Bart

I have dropbox 0.7.110
not from the repos

I have a nautilus launcher in kde and copy works, I didn’t have to do anything for that to work
If you use web interface, does it copy ok

I added nautilus to the kde menu (and an icon in the panel at the bottom). Nautilus seems to be working as it recognizes that I’m in a photo gallery or in the public folder and the like. It’s just that when I use the menu choice to copy the link, and then paste it in a message in evolution, there’s nothing pasted. If I look in the clipboard down in the panel, it’s empty or has something I copied from another application, say Konqueror.

Yes, the web interface works. I can create a web address using it and paste it into a message. Ctrl-C and Ctrl-V seem to work in all other applications.

I do notice that although nautilus comes up quickly enough, the bouncing icon stays for quite some time. And, If I close nautilus, the icon stays down in that little area that shows running things like hplip and updater and such. I am using “nautilus” as the launch command (without quotes of course). This is correct, isn’t it? Is it normal for nautilus to stay running?

Bart

Quit dropbox and make sure it not in the running processes, make sure it’s not starting again at login

In a terminal type: dropbox start -i

Alright. I quit dropbox by right clicking on the icon in the running apps panel. I started system monitor and it was shown as still running. So I stopped it from there. I did not log out. I opened a terminal and started dropbox as you suggested. After a very short pause, it said Done. No other messages. It still doesn’t copy a link.

Bart

You should see this series of steps, then just follow it thru to complete
I suggest a reboot when done

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10573557/Dropbox%20Install/drop1.png
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10573557/Dropbox%20Install/drop2.png
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10573557/Dropbox%20Install/drop3.png
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10573557/Dropbox%20Install/drop4.png

Lets start at the beginning.
Delete all your Hidden dropbox folders
Uninstall dropbox
Reboot

Install dropbox and the nautilus package (not the kde part)

then do: **dropbox start -i

See images above

Hey! Look at that! Just like Windows! Uninstall / re-install it works! :sick:

I don’t know whether to laugh or cry!

But I have it working and that’s the point! Thank you so very much for your time and effort!

I’m guessing the installation of the kde front end was causing the problem. I also noticed that the reason nautilus takes so long to load is because it’s starting the gnome desktop. I saw it briefly during shutdown. Perhaps I should add another G of ram.

Again, thank you! It was a really annoying problem for me.

Bart

The RAM issue is not a problem for me - thankfully.
Glad it sorted it for you. We aim to please :slight_smile:

Take care

Carl