Thread: Empathy Chat Client - Got Some Errors That Need Addressing!

Default Empathy Chat Client - Got Some Errors That Need Addressing!

Hey Forum People! I've got a problem occurring with my openSUSE 11.3 // GNOME Empathy Chat Client. When I try to connect to my Facebook account, my client tells me that I have a Network Error. Last time I used the client at home, it worked perfectly fine, but when I'm at work it doesn't.

Now, you guys may say that my work's network may have ports blocked, or the firewall is blocking its use in some way, but I find that hard to believe. My reasoning? I am able to connect to my Facebook account thru Empathy at work on my previous Ubuntu 10.04 system with no problems. I have also been connected to the same chat accounts this whole week on my openSUSE 11.3 // KDE 4.4 Kopete chat client.

My Empathy connects to my Skype with no problem also. So, do any of you have any ideas that could possibly solve my issue? I love being connected to my Facebook chat at work because I don't see anyone nearly as often, and it's a great way for me to keep in touch with them.

Any and All help is much appreciated! Thanks guys.

Additional Note: If you know of a different GNOME Chat Client that works similarly to Empathy or Kopete for openSUSE 11.3, I will take those suggestions as well. I'm always down to try new applications!

Default Re: Empathy Chat Client - Got Some Errors That Need Addressing!

I experienced a similar problem. The solutions is very easy. You have to configure your account in the Jabber protocol option, because the Facebook option don't work. Then type your user in that way: youruser@chat.facebook.com Then in password type your facebook password, and that it's all.

Tuve un problema similar. La solucin es muy fcil. Tienes que configurar tu cuenta de facebook como si fuera una cuenta de Jabber. Luego anotas tu cuenta de facebook en la siguiente forma: tuusuario@chat.facebook.com Luego anotas tu clave de facebooj y listo.

Saludos

Default Re: Empathy Chat Client - Got Some Errors That Need Addressing!

Quote Originally Posted by miguelalejo View Post
    I experienced a similar problem. The solutions is very easy. You have to configure your account in the Jabber protocol option, because the Facebook option don't work. Then type your user in that way: youruser@chat.facebook.com Then in password type your facebook password, and that it's all.

Tuve un problema similar. La solucin es muy fcil. Tienes que configurar tu cuenta de facebook como si fuera una cuenta de Jabber. Luego anotas tu cuenta de facebook en la siguiente forma: tuusuario@chat.facebook.com Luego anotas tu clave de facebooj y listo.

Saludos
    Correction to previus post: that solution work for my at first time, but then dont work. I recomend other program for facebook chat. Pidgin is a very good multiprotocol chat client that work with facebook chat with a complement. It is in Opensuse repository or Packman repositorys.