Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: OpenOffice.org 3.2 crashes on openSUSE 11.3 with GNOME

Question OpenOffice.org 3.2 crashes on openSUSE 11.3 with GNOME

Hi,

When I've installed openSUSE 11.3, OpenOffice was asking me to install JRE, and I did it.
    However, next time i run it, it crashed without any error log. When I run it again, it sad a couple of time that JRE is defective, and asked me to reinstall it again. Eons passed, but my patience was rewarded. OpenOffice.org Impress was up. but just for a few seconds. Then it crashed again, and left no signs of life.
    I've repeated the same cycle few times... Then I decided to search for a solution, and read topics where similar problems were discussed. One solution was to expand my swap memory, and the another one was to install an older version of OO. I wasn't very eager to install an older version of OO, so I tried to expand swap memory by cutting memory from the other partitions. I found reference that swap memory should be twice bigger than RAM. Since i have 512 + 256 MB RAM, I've typed 1536 MB as a new value for swap memory. Error appeared that value of swap memory must be between 42MB and 684MB. I'm not sure about the second number, but it was between 600 and 700... And now I'm here.
    I must get OpenOffice.org working as soon as possible, because it's very important for my work.
    I'm running 64bit openSUSE 11.3 on AMD Sempron 2800+ with 768MB RAM
    using OpenOffice 3.2.1.4-1.2 and java-1_6_0-sun

How to solve this problem?

Blog Entries

Default Re: OpenOffice.org 3.2 crashes on openSUSE 11.3 with GNOME

Sounds messy
    How did you install the JRE, which should have been there already.

Let's see your repo list:
    zypper lr -d
    Leap 15.1_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

java-1_6_0-openjdk was already installed.
    java-1_6_0-sun wasn't.

zypper lr -d
    # | Alias | Name | Enabled | Refresh | Priority | Type | URI | Service
    ---+-------------------------------------+-------------------------------------------+---------+---------+----------+--------+---------------------------------------------------------------------------------+--------
    1 | Updates for openSUSE 11.3 11.3-1.82 | Updates for openSUSE 11.3 11.3-1.82 | Yes | Yes | 20 | rpm-md | Index of /update/11.3 |
    2 | download.opensuse.org-2.30 | openSUSE BuildService - GNOME:STABLE:2.30 | Yes | Yes | 20 | rpm-md | Index of /repositories/GNOME:/STABLE:/2.30/openSUSE_11.3 |
    3 | download.opensuse.org-Apps | openSUSE BuildService - GNOME:Apps | Yes | Yes | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /repositories/GNOME:/Apps/openSUSE_11.3 |
    4 | download.opensuse.org-Banshee | openSUSE BuildService - Banshee | Yes | Yes | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /repositories/Banshee/openSUSE_11.3 |
    5 | download.opensuse.org-Education | openSUSE BuildService - Education | Yes | Yes | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /repositories/Education/openSUSE_11.3 |
    6 | download.opensuse.org-STABLE | openSUSE BuildService - OpenOffice.org | Yes | Yes | 20 | rpm-md | Index of /repositories/OpenOffice.org:/STABLE/openSUSE_11.3 |
    7 | download.opensuse.org-filesystems | openSUSE BuildService - filesystems | Yes | Yes | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /repositories/filesystems/openSUSE_11.3 |
    8 | download.opensuse.org-mozilla | openSUSE BuildService - Mozilla | Yes | Yes | 20 | rpm-md | Index of /repositories/mozilla/openSUSE_11.3 |
    9 | download.opensuse.org-packages | openSUSE BuildService - Javaackages | Yes | Yes | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /repositories/Java:/packages/openSUSE_11.3 |
    10 | download.opensuse.org-php | openSUSE BuildService - PHP | Yes | Yes | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /repositories/server:/php/openSUSE_11.3 |
    11 | download.opensuse.org-standard | Main Repository (Contrib) | Yes | Yes | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /repositories/openSUSE:/11.3:/Contrib/standard |
    12 | download.videolan.org-SuSE | VideoLan Repository | Yes | Yes | 20 | rpm-md | Index of /pub/videolan/vlc/SuSE/11.3/ |
    13 | openSUSE-11.3 11.3-1.82 | openSUSE-11.3 11.3-1.82 | Yes | No | 99 | yast2 | cd:///?devices=/dev/sr1,/dev/sr0 |
    14 | packman.inode.at-suse | Packman Repository | Yes | Yes | 20 | rpm-md | Index of /suse/11.3/ |
    15 | repo-debug | openSUSE-11.3-Debug | No | Yes | 99 | NONE | Index of /debug/distribution/11.3/repo/oss |
    16 | repo-non-oss | openSUSE-11.3-Non-Oss | Yes | Yes | 99 | yast2 | Index of /distribution/11.3/repo/non-oss |
    17 | repo-oss | openSUSE-11.3-Oss | Yes | Yes | 99 | yast2 | Index of /distribution/11.3/repo/oss |
    18 | repo-source | openSUSE-11.3-Source | No | Yes | 99 | NONE | Index of /source/distribution/11.3/repo/oss |

Blog Entries

Yikes!
    Do you really want my advice on this, because you need to sort it out.

Tell me, why do you want OOffice from the build service any way?
    Leap 15.1_KDE

Yes, I'm a noob, I need your advice!

I don't know why i need OOffice from the build service, but I know that I need one.

Blog Entries

I'm rather afraid you have gone beyond the point of no return.
    Out of all those listed as Build Service (except mozilla) do you know what you added them for?
    I'm trying to get a picture of what might break if we work on this. And who told you to change the priority settings from the default 99?
    Leap 15.1_KDE

I thik I've added 'em for updating or installing programs which are mentioned in the names of the repositories.
    Those repositories were offered as comunity repositories, so I add them rather than searching for a repositories and addiding them via url.
    I've changed priority settings to see how does it work.
    I didn't install anything from OpenOffice repo, so I don't see what repos have to do with OpenOffice crash.
    What makes difference if it is OpenOffice from BuildService? It interests me...

Blog Entries

Try this on the office repo
    Open Software Manager and switch packages to that repo, like this principle:
    ImageBam - Fast, Free Image Hosting and Photo Sharing
    (obviously that's a different repo) but you see what I mean

Build Service, especially OOffice can be trouble, but try it
    Leap 15.1_KDE

I switched all packages to packman, if I understood correctly.
    What now?

Would it be easier if I do new clean instalation of openSUSE?
    Of course, OpenOffice problem will remain. I know, because I already tried it.

Blog Entries

Please do the same to the open office repo, which is what I meant.
    But doing it to packman is good.
    Also please remove the VLC videolan repo
    Leap 15.1_KDE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast