vlc does not disable screensaver

Hi all,

Few weeks ago after updating vlc player from 1.0.5 to 1.1.4 (now) it stopped disabling screen saver and while watching movies (DVD or file) I have to hit a key or mouse every few minutes because the screen saver goes on.
I had no such problem before. It happen after updating and I’d like to add that I have checked the box ‘Disable screen saver’ in vlc settings.

I run on OpenSuse 11.2, KDE 4.3.5, VLC 1.1.4, kernel Linux 2.6.31.12-0.2-desktop x86_64

best regards to all from Cyprus

You’ll find you need to disable the screensaver in system settings, also all powersaving screen options, it’s a minefield of settings.
FYI: The only player I find that does work consistently is smplayer

Previously I did not have to change any settings in the system and I did not change anything after upgrading, so why now?
And if it really minefield I’m not a minesweeper :slight_smile: (I only play that game)

Am I the only one having this trouble?

Am I the only one having this trouble?
No

It’s a kde issue I think.
When I switch to gnome I can configure it much more easily

Don’t blame me either, I’m just trying to help

Why do you think it’s KDE?
I had the same KDE previously and had no problems with vlc disablig screensaver.
Problem appeared after upgrading vlc.
(I’d like to add that beside screensaver upgraded vlc messes with alsa sound as well - but this is different subject)

thanks for replies

PS. How to edit my signature? I can’t find it in My Profile :frowning:

PS. How to edit my signature? I can’t find it in My Profile http://forums-opensuse.provo.novell…/…/images/smiliesnew/sad.png

You need to post a little more in the forum first before that is available to you. This is normal, it’s an anti-spam measure.