CISCO vpnclient - Invalid module format

Hi to all, guys!
I am trying to compile the Cisco vpnclient on my Opensuse 11.2 and (after some troubles) I got the module compiled and installed but when I try to load with insmod I got this error

<</etc/init.d/vpnclient_init start
Starting /opt/cisco-vpnclient/bin/vpnclient: insmod: error inserting ‘/lib/modules/2.6.31.12-0.2-default/CiscoVPN/cisco_ipsec.ko’: -1 Invalid module format
Failed (insmod)>>

I am able to use the vpnclient forcing the module with modprobe -f cisco_ipsec but I’d prefer to solve the ‘invalid format’ original problem.
I ‘googled’ around and it seems related with this warning during vpn_install script

“WARNING: Symbol version dump /usr/src/linux-2.6.31.12-0.2/Module.symvers
is missing; modules will have no dependencies and modversions.”

I have these rmps:

kernel-syms-2.6.31.12-0.2.1.i586
kernel-desktop-devel-2.6.31.12-0.2.1.i586
kernel-firmware-20090821-4.1.noarch
kernel-default-devel-2.6.31.12-0.2.1.i586
kernel-debug-devel-2.6.31.12-0.2.1.i586
linux-kernel-headers-.6.31-3.4.noarch
kernel-source-.6.31.12-0.2.1.noarch
kernel-pae-devel-.6.31.12-0.2.1.i586
kernel-default-2.6.31.12-0.2.1.i586
kernel-xen-devel-2.6.31.12-0.2.1.i586

Do you have any idea?

Thanks in advance,
Marco

Using rpm -ql to it looks like the kernel-desktop-devel RPM puts the file under i386/desktop/ under that path, ie.:

/usr/src/linux-2.6.31.12-0.2-obj/i386/desktop/Module.symvers

Therefore I’d say just symlink /usr/src/linux-2.6.31.12-0.2/Module.symvers to that location so the cisco build sees what it expects.

Another option might be to check out vpnc (it’s in the oss repo available through zypper). At work we have a cisco VPN and vpnc connects to it fine, it avoids having to install cisco’s awful VPN client software.

Hi, thanks for your suggestion. I did the symlink and the Warning is gone(!) but unfortunately not the problem :frowning:
This is the output of the install script:

Making module                                                                       
make -C /usr/src/linux SUBDIRS=/home/usr/vpnclient modules                          
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.31.12-0.2'                          
  CC [M]  /home/usr/vpnclient/linuxcniapi.o                                         
  CC [M]  /home/usr/vpnclient/frag.o                                                
  CC [M]  /home/usr/vpnclient/IPSecDrvOS_linux.o                                    
  CC [M]  /home/usr/vpnclient/interceptor.o                                         
  CC [M]  /home/usr/vpnclient/linuxkernelapi.o                                      
  LD [M]  /home/usr/vpnclient/cisco_ipsec.o                                         
  Building modules, stage 2.                                                        
  MODPOST 1 modules                                                                 
WARNING: could not find /home/usr/vpnclient/.libdriver.so.cmd for /home/usr/vpnclient/libdriver.so
  CC      /home/usr/vpnclient/cisco_ipsec.mod.o                                                   
  LD [M]  /home/usr/vpnclient/cisco_ipsec.ko                                                      
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.31.12-0.2'                                         
Copying module to directory "/lib/modules/2.6.31.12-0.2-default/CiscoVPN".                        
Already have group 'bin'                                                                          

Creating start/stop script "/etc/init.d/vpnclient_init".
    /etc/init.d/vpnclient_init                          
insserv: warning: script 'S01vpnclient_init' missing LSB tags and overrides
insserv: warning: script 'vpnclient_init' missing LSB tags and overrides   
vpnclient_init            0:off  1:off  2:off  3:off  4:off  5:off  6:off  
Enabling start/stop script for run level 3,4 and 5.                        
insserv: warning: script 'vpnclient_init' missing LSB tags and overrides
insserv: Default-Start undefined, assuming default start runlevel(s) for script `vpnclient_init'
vpnclient_init            0:off  1:off  2:off  3:on   4:off  5:on   6:off

Another option might be to check out vpnc (it’s in the oss repo available through zypper). At work we have a cisco VPN and vpnc connects to it fine, it avoids having to install cisco’s awful VPN client software.

I am already using the vpnc for many other VPNs but it doesn’t work with a new one and the native vpnclient seems the only solution :frowning:
I tried changing many settings in KVPN/vpnc but without luck… my vpnc is:
vpnc version 0.5.2
Built without openssl (certificate) support.

Supported DH-Groups: nopfs dh1 dh2 dh5
Supported Hash-Methods: md5 sha1
Supported Encryptions: null des 3des aes128 aes192 aes256
Supported Auth-Methods: psk psk+xauth

thanks in advance
Marco