Thread: No Bootable Device Found

Default No Bootable Device Found

Hi,

I'm trying to install openSUSE on my Mac BooK Pro.

I installed the software on my laptop but cannot boot into it.

No matter I choose to boot from "Windows", or "openSUSE", it always shows that "No bootable device".

I have to use the dvd disc to boot in to either windows or linux.

So what went wrong?

Thanks.

Default Re: No Bootable Device Found

first guess, the /boot folder is not accessible to the grub bootloader.
    Since you say that whether you boot "windows or openSUSE" it would appear you are getting to grub on the hdd mbr where you can select the partition, so if you can use the install dvd to access openSUSE, then you might be able to goto YAST->System->boot_loader and fix it from there.

regards;
    Rick
    When your up to your a** in Alligators it's pretty hard to remember you intended to drain the swamp (author unknown)

Quote Originally Posted by techwiz03 View Post
    first guess, the /boot folder is not accessible to the grub bootloader.
    Since you say that whether you boot "windows or openSUSE" it would appear you are getting to grub on the hdd mbr where you can select the partition, so if you can use the install dvd to access openSUSE, then you might be able to goto YAST->System->boot_loader and fix it from there.

regards;
    Rick

But how? i'm sorry but i'm a newbie in linux...
    Thanks.

When you can use install dvd to gain access
    1) try to open a terminal and enter :
    fdisk -l and post the results here.
    2) goto YAST , enter your root password when asked, goto SYSTEM and under that category choose boot. Then report what it says here and we can advise what needs to done to fix the bootloader settings.

cheers
    When your up to your a** in Alligators it's pretty hard to remember you intended to drain the swamp (author unknown)

I'm not a mac user, but the intel macs use a different system to the standard BIOS we are used to, It may be worth searching these forums for mac specific issues,
    Or try something like this How to install Linux on an Intel Mac with Boot Camp - by Chris Scott - Helium

Please note I am making suggestions ONLY,, I have no experience with mac!

Quote Originally Posted by asnbd View Post
    Hi,

No matter I choose to boot from "Windows", or "openSUSE", it always shows that "No bootable device".

I have to use the dvd disc to boot in to either windows or linux.

So what went wrong?

Thanks.

Just a thought.... I was having some issues with a drive lately after installing Suse 11.3 on a Desktop. I ended up in a similar situation. It seems that Suse wrote over my MBR and also wrote some files to the hard drive (NTFS) when installing and I ended up in a never ending GRUB circle. I was able to over come it using a system rescue CD from SystemRescueCd. There is an option on that CD to boot to a prior installation, which allowed me to get back to Suse. Once there, I was able to edit my GRUB "menu.lst" and restore my MBR. You may want to give that a shot.