1024x768 resolution not getting permanent in kde

I cannot get 1024x768 resolution permanently in my screen. When i go and adjust it in the kde personalize setting in the display menu everything seems to work. But after i reboot the system, the resolution again changes. Then i have to again configure it to 1024x768.

Also i cannot find sax in openSUSE 11.3.

Can anybody help me. Thanks in advance.

You did not specify your video card type. For instance there is a procedure for installing the nVidia proprietary video driver that can modify your xorg.conf file for your default monitor resolution. The program sax2 has been removed from openSUSE 11.3. I would read the following document on video configuration in openSUSE 11.3 and tell us more about your video chipset.

SDB:Configuring graphics cards - openSUSE

Thank You,

Thanks for the information, it was very useful.

I followed the steps there, and went into runlevel 3 and ran the commnad Xorg -configure and copied the resultant file to /etc/X11/xorg.conf. But my resolution still wasn’t still permanently switched to 1024x768. Although my 1024x768 resolution is working finely once i set it through kde settings but after the reboot it again switches over to other resolution.

My graphic card is Intel 82945G/GZ Integrated Graphics Controller.

Thank you…

I found a couple of suggestions on this thread here in our forum you might look at.

OpenSUSE 11.3 / Mozilla Firefox freezes upon moving the mouse

Thank You,

You can edit and save the xorg.conf, to remove the resolution you don’t want. You will need either a reboot or switch to runlevel 3 and back to runlevel 5. If in doubt, post back with the resolution section for advice. I assume you have checked it to see which driver you ended up with, and are happy with that.

Thanks a lot. After editing the xorg.conf, it really worked.

Thank you.

You are welcome. Glad you successfully worked your way through it.

After stumbling across the same problem with SuSE 11.4 and trying to figure it out on a standard DELL hardware, I found there is a “Save as Default” button at the bottom left side of
“Start -> Applications -> Configure Desktop -> Hardware -> Display and Monitor -> Size and Orientation” dialog.
Pressing “Apply” button only stores it only for the session.

:frowning:

Cost me a day.