Thread: VBox packages

Default VBox packages

VBox was running earlier, but because my computer needed more room to store Virtual Machines, a partition had to be reformatted to allow for the large files.

I am now reinstalling VBox using the OpenSUSE SW Manager, hopefully in a more intelligent, planned way this time. Which VBox packages does a typical user need? (I think) only VBox, the guest addition, and a new Linux kernel package is necessary(?)...

--The first thing I did was insert the SUN VirtualBox repository in Yast | Software |Repositories and upped the priority to 110:
    <>http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/rpm/opensuse/11.3/<>

--There are all of these packages. Image: http://a.imageshack.us/img833/2917/s...twaremanag.png
    --why so many packages? I'm guessing that OSE is Open Source Edition. Confused about KMP, PAE, default, desktop, etc... I know these are beginner questions. Maybe there is a link somewhere that explains all these terms.

Thanks....
    My mission to politely ask all bike riders with loud exhausts to make their bikes quieter. Should be easy.

Blog Entries

Default Re: VBox packages

If you are installing the version from Sun/Oracle, you do not want the OSE versions
    Switch your view to Repositories (see where it says Groups in your image) click the drop box and select repositories
    Then view the Virtual Box repo and make sure it is installing that.
    Uncheck all the OSE stuff (ignore the errors until you have done them all)

I have a guide here:
    Virtual Box (Sun Version) Install HowTo
    Leap 15.1_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

Adding the easiest option for 11.3
    ...that top section was pretty easy, and simple enough to follow (using Gnome). Thanks

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by danperecky View Post
    ...that top section was pretty easy, and simple enough to follow (using Gnome). Thanks
    Pleased to be of assistance
    Leap 15.1_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below