Thread: Make KDE panel with different sized Main Menu than bar like Windows 7

Blog Entries

Arrow Make KDE panel with different sized Main Menu than bar like Windows 7

Was wondering if there is a simple way to make the kickoff menu slightly larger than the panel similar to the way Windows 7 can have their (formerly-known-as) "Start" button larger?

I have KDE on my laptop and am trying to make the best use of the small screen space. The Plasma Netbook Workspaces is alright, but I ended up returning to base KDE instead.
    "Linux provides freedom, problem is most users don't know what it is or how to use it." ~me
    Friends don't let Friends wear red shirts on away parties!
    Linux User #477531 | Danbury Area Computer Society (www.dacs.org)

Default Re: Make KDE panel with different sized Main Menu than bar like Windows 7

i'm not sure i understand your question correctly, but you can resize the kickoff panel by dragging its top-right corner.
    About the suse button, there seems to be a size restriction when making it very large although i read that would be solved in 4.5

Blog Entries

Default Re: Make KDE panel with different sized Main Menu than bar like Windows 7

Quote Originally Posted by mxttie View Post
    i'm not sure i understand your question correctly, but you can resize the kickoff panel by dragging its top-right corner.
    About the suse button, there seems to be a size restriction when making it very large although i read that would be solved in 4.5
    In Windows 7 I can set up the Main Menu icon so it is taller than the height of the rest of the "panel". Does this illustration help?

Code:
    this is the main menu icon (not menu, the icon)
        |
        V

+---+
     |   |______________________________________
     |   |      and this is the rest of the panel 
     +---+---------------------------------------
    "Linux provides freedom, problem is most users don't know what it is or how to use it." ~me
    Friends don't let Friends wear red shirts on away parties!
    Linux User #477531 | Danbury Area Computer Society (www.dacs.org)

I think this will work: remove the current Application Launcher; open the Panel and, clicking on the arrow at the left hand end of the Panel, drag it as far as you want to make space for an Application Launcher. Select Application Launcher from Add widgets and drag it onto the screen and then resize it and place it where you want.