Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wireless connection extremely slow in 11.3

Blog Entries

Default Re: Wireless connection extremely slow in 11.3

First things first. Does this problem occur when you are hardwired? Connected via ethernet? If so, then something is interfering with your signal. If not, then pursue the course of action you are. Here Drivers - Linux Wireless you can see the realtek devices and drivers that are supported for Linux. Please run lspci to show more info about your realtek card. Seriously though, start with what I said at the beginning. Does this problem only exist on wireless? How close are you to the router? What's around the router? What is between you and the router? What are your walls made of? You'd be surprised as to how often these get overlooked and make all the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan_R View Post
    First things first. Does this problem occur when you are hardwired? Connected via ethernet? If so, then something is interfering with your signal. If not, then pursue the course of action you are. Here Drivers - Linux Wireless you can see the realtek devices and drivers that are supported for Linux. Please run lspci to show more info about your realtek card. Seriously though, start with what I said at the beginning. Does this problem only exist on wireless? How close are you to the router? What's around the router? What is between you and the router? What are your walls made of? You'd be surprised as to how often these get overlooked and make all the difference.
    Okay, the problem does NOT exist when I'm hardwired.
    There isn't much between the computer and the router, and the same connection works fine when on Windows.
    So now, what is lspci?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DizzyPuppy View Post
    Okay, the problem does NOT exist when I'm hardwired.
    There isn't much between the computer and the router, and the same connection works fine when on Windows.
    So now, what is lspci?
    lspci is a Linux/UNIX command where ls means to list and pci are the pci devices, so to put it together lspci is to list pci devices.

Being that this only occurs when you are wirelessly connected, then the problem is emi (electrical magnetic interference). You should be no closer than 6 feet (about 2 yards or just under 2 meters) to your router. There should be no speakers near the router. Speakers have a heavy magnet in them. Try moving to other places and see if that helps. If not, then we need to explore other options.

lspci is a Linux/UNIX command where ls means to list and pci are the pci devices, so to put it together lspci is to list pci devices.

Being that this only occurs when you are wirelessly connected, then the problem is emi (electrical magnetic interference). You should be no closer than 6 feet (about 2 yards or just under 2 meters) to your router. There should be no speakers near the router. Speakers have a heavy magnet in them. Try moving to other places and see if that helps. If not, then we need to explore other options.
    Thank you for your persistence in solving this problem really, but the problem is not emi either, and I am further than 2 meters away from the router.
    I just ran Yast to see if I could find any Realtek drivers that I could install, but to no avail.

Blog Entries

Thank you for your persistence in solving this problem really, but the problem is not emi either, and I am further than 2 meters away from the router.
    I just ran Yast to see if I could find any Realtek drivers that I could install, but to no avail.
    Time to check dmesg and /var/log/NetworkManager

Time to check dmesg and /var/log/NetworkManager
    Please just give me the command lines and what I should be looking for.

Blog Entries

Please just give me the command lines and what I should be looking for.
    I did.
    dmesg is a command line option to look for errors.

The file /var/log/NetworkManager is a file you will have to read to look for errors.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12