Wireless connection extremely slow in 11.3

I have tried all that was recommended in the very first sticky, namely:

• Disabled ipv6 through Yast
  • “Forced” a higher speed through command line
    “sudo /usr/sbin/iwconfig wlan0 rate XXM”
    where XX is the speed you want to achieve.
    Connection is still slow, even though I’m shown a throughput of 48 Mbps instead of 1 Mbps (I tried 11, 24 and 48).
    What else is there to do?
    Your help would be appreciated.

Exact same issue here where extremely slow is 1000kbps.

Hi. Have you noticed that Tooltip from the Network Manager (when cursor just hovers above active connection) shows rate of 1Mbps, although Properties have whatever was forced…
I am totally new to Linux, have Broadcom (still to confirm by lspci) 4312, successfully ran sudo /usr/sbin/install_bcm43xx_firmware after fresh installation and patching of 11.3 - somehow speed is capped at 1Mbps.

Broadcom recent patches for kernels 2.6.33 and 34 have been released… I wonder are they anyway related to this issue?

One previous discussion: b43 and BCM4312 802.11a/b/g slow combination?

Anything missing in 2.6.34?

Question is, do you even get that 1 Mbps you’re shown? I don’t! The best I get is (around) 50 Kbps!

Thank you for that thread, but as far as I can see, the issue seems to be unresolved there as well!

WL drivers from the packman repository will probably fix your connection. It is not all very clear to me but I beleive you will be fine doing the following.

First open terminal and type
uname -r
that will show kernel version either desktop or default
You could download the rpm packages as I did because I completely lost connectivity trying to fix the issue or just add packman to your repositories list as suggested by the guide here - this is preferable and more useful later. Packages are broadcom-wl-5.60.48.36-7.pm.8.1.x86_64.rpm and either broadcom-wl-kmp-default-5.60.48.36_k2.6.34.0_12-7.pm.8.1.x86_64.rpm or broadcom-wl-kmp-desktop-5.60.48.36_k2.6.34.0_12-7.pm.8.1.x86_64.rpm depending on your kernel version.
Before actually installing the new drivers, open YaST2, search for broadcom and make sure only b43-fwcutter - I beleive it is needed to extract firmware from WL drivers, so leave it checked.
Now proceed to install both WL packages from YaST - both checked along with b43-fwcutter and Accept.
Reboot.

Please post result.
And Good Luck!

Have a look here for information on linux broadcom drivers.

I can’t edit the message after 10 minutes from post. Please follow this instead of above.

WL drivers from the packman repository will probably fix your connection. It is not all very clear to me but I beleive you will be fine doing the following.

First open terminal and type
uname -r
that will show kernel version either desktop or default
You could download the rpm packages as I did because I completely lost connectivity trying to fix the issue or just add packman to your repositories list as suggested by the guide here - this is preferable and more useful later. Packages are broadcom-wl-5.60.48.36-7.pm.8.1.x86_64.rpm and either broadcom-wl-kmp-default-5.60.48.36_k2.6.34.0_12-7.pm.8.1.x86_64.rpm or broadcom-wl-kmp-desktop-5.60.48.36_k2.6.34.0_12-7.pm.8.1.x86_64.rpm depending on your kernel version - in YaST respectively broadcom-wl, broadcom-wl-kmp-default and broadcom-wl-kmp-desktop.
These packages also run b43-fwcutter to extract firmware from the drivers. You may notice that checked as dependent probably already installed.
Install both WL packages from YaST that will run anyway - both packages checked along with b43-fwcutter and Accept.
Reboot.

Please post result.
And Good Luck!

Have a look here for information on linux broadcom drivers.

Many thanks for that comprehensive response.
I tried both ways, first through downloading the packages from your link, and that didn’t work – meaning the packages wouldn’t install.
Then I went through Yast and installed both packages (mine was the “desktop” version as per your indication, although Yast automatically selected the “default” at first).
Result; Nothing has changed! I’m still getting a 1 Mbps throughput and a realtime Bitrate of 50 Kbps.
Oh well.

Sorry, my comments were inappropriate. You never mentioned your wireless card is Broadcom. Is it?

The command lspci should tell, and lspci -n | grep 14e4 helps identify broadcom chipset version.

If Broadcom chipset, last lspci result was similar to
0001:01:01.0 Network controller [0280]: Broadcom Corporation BCM4318 [AirForce One 54g] 802.11g Wireless LAN Controller [14e4:4318] (rev 02)
Please verify the numbers inside the last brackets if match with supported devices in this document. Devices in the document are compatible with the WL drivers.

Your connection tooltip from the network manager displays driver in use. Is that wl or b43? I can provide no further help if wl is already in use.

Drivers have to be blocked/blacklisted sometimes. I can’t help with that either.

It is not clear to me whether you have wired connection or not. To proceed and re-install the WL packages you must either download the files I recommended before or have Packman repository reachable. Either way YaST will run.

If b43 is still active, then open YaST, search for broadcom and mark every installed package for deletion - that is the x mark. Accept and reboot.
Reinstallation should proceed as per previous recommendation - the manual installation begins with the kmp package.

Oh boy! : )
No, I didn’t mention I had a Broadcom card. In fact, that occurred to me too, I checked, and it seems I have a Realtek card!
What now?
I haven’t made any changes since the last configuration.

First things first. Does this problem occur when you are hardwired? Connected via ethernet? If so, then something is interfering with your signal. If not, then pursue the course of action you are. Here Drivers - Linux Wireless you can see the realtek devices and drivers that are supported for Linux. Please run lspci to show more info about your realtek card. Seriously though, start with what I said at the beginning. Does this problem only exist on wireless? How close are you to the router? What’s around the router? What is between you and the router? What are your walls made of? You’d be surprised as to how often these get overlooked and make all the difference.

Okay, the problem does NOT exist when I’m hardwired.
There isn’t much between the computer and the router, and the same connection works fine when on Windows.
So now, what is lspci?

lspci is a Linux/UNIX command where ls means to list and pci are the pci devices, so to put it together lspci is to list pci devices.

Being that this only occurs when you are wirelessly connected, then the problem is emi (electrical magnetic interference). You should be no closer than 6 feet (about 2 yards or just under 2 meters) to your router. There should be no speakers near the router. Speakers have a heavy magnet in them. Try moving to other places and see if that helps. If not, then we need to explore other options.

Thank you for your persistence in solving this problem really, but the problem is not emi either, and I am further than 2 meters away from the router.
I just ran Yast to see if I could find any Realtek drivers that I could install, but to no avail.

Time to check dmesg and /var/log/NetworkManager

Please just give me the command lines and what I should be looking for.

I did.
dmesg is a command line option to look for errors.

The file /var/log/NetworkManager is a file you will have to read to look for errors.