Evince or Acrobat Reader - default pdf reader

Hi all,

I have openSUSE 11.2, 64 bits.
I use Evince from the very beginning. Since a few weeks, when I want to open a .pdf file, Acrobat Reader appears and reads my file. It seems to have become the default reader now.
However, I never wanted to change from Evince :this simple program is well enough for me.

I tried various ways, but I can’t define Evince as my default .pdf reader.

How can I make Evince to become my default reader again please ?

Thanks very much much for your help !

W

If you’re using KDE you can go into Personal Setting -> Advanced -> File Associations

Search for PDF and then change the application preference order. (move Evince up)

Another way, again using KDE, is to find a PDF file, any PDF file, and right click on it. You’ll see the option to “Open With”. At the bottom of the menu is “Other”. Click it. You can choose which application you want to open this type of file. At the bottom of that window is a box you can check to make that application the default for that type of file.

Bart

Sorry, Bart.

I forgot to tell I use Gnome.

I already tried with open with but this choice is apparently not permanent. So, my problem remains …

W

In nautilus, did you try : right click -> properties -> Open With ?
IMHO it’s better not to use Acrobat Reader if you can avoid it. It’s only in some rare cases necessary.

wba wrote:

>
> I forgot to tell I use Gnome.
>
> I already tried with open with but this choice is apparently not
> permanent. So, my problem remains …
>
> W
>
Do not use “open with” to make it permanent but right click → properties
(in nautilus) thnbe go to the tab “open with” in the properties dialag and
choose the program you want to use. this will be permanent.

openSUSE 11.2 64 bit | Intel Core2 Quad Q8300@2.50GHz | Gnome 2.28 | GeForce
9600 GT | 4GB Ram
openSUSE 11.3 64 bit | Intel Core2 Duo T9300@2.50GHz | Gnome 2.30 | Quadro
FX 3600M | 4GB Ram

And I use neither Evince or Adobe Reader, but Okular (which has been my preferred PDF reader of choice for Linux), which, fortunately for me, is also openSuSE KDE’s default (not often the case with other distributions, despite most of them including it or offering it as an option).

Hi all,

I did the Nautilus trick and it seems to work. Thanks to all of you. By the way : I do not like Acrobat reader : much too intrusive; updates, every hour on the hour :-).

Thank you,

W

How did Acrobat get onto your system anyway ?

It must have been installed by a third party installation as it’s not even in the repo’s. It’s quite typical when installing something like a PC game from a DVD that you can end up with Acrobat, which I always find very annoying. It’s the sort of thing that happens a lot in Windows.

It must have been installed by a third party installation as it’s not even in the repo’s.

acroread is in the non-OSS repo.

It seems to be the reader by default in Firefox, and I can’t have Evince as default reader.

When I was running 11.0, acroread was the default for firefox. Now, with 11.3 and KDE, okular is the default.

There is, however, a difference in how they work. With acroread, it was seamless, for there was a browser plugin that handled it. With okular, it is not as seamless. Okular starts as a separate process in a separate window and doesn’t integrate as well with firefox.

Note that I am not complaining. Okular works well for what I want. But I think the difference here is on whether there is a browser plugin. As long as there is a specific browser plugin, firefox will probably use that instead of going by desktop defined associations.