Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to install on hard disk (as dual OS) using USB and no USB boot option in BIOS?

Default Re: How to install on hard disk (as dual OS) using USB and no USB boot option in BIOS?

Hi!

I'm not new to computers nor linux, but I have something clear, that there is no standard in computer standards. I explain myself better, not all BIOS boot usb equal, and not all usb-boot programs works the same way, etc. After a lot of fightings with two computers (one with an asus A7N8X-X motherboard and a MSI Wind clone without cd-rom) I finally ended buying an usb cd-writer for less than 60 ( I found one at 29 1 week later).

An example for this situation was, I was able to install opensuse on my netbook and not in the desktop computer with the same usb drive.

I would recommend you this option because probably you will install a OS more than one time, it's not very expensive and you can use it on another machine. I know that usb pendrives are easy to carry & faster, but I prefer wasting my time installing and working with my linux than trying to understand why the usb pendrive installation failed.

Hope this helps at least just a little....

Carlos E. R. NNTP User

Default Re: How to install on hard disk (as dual OS) using USB and no USBboot option in BIOS?

On 2010-09-01 09:06, InkSpilled wrote:

> The other option is choosing network as the source medium. Then it
    > gives the options FTP, HTTP and NFS. Which should I choose and what is
    > the address I need to enter?

The IP address of a computer having the 10.2 oss and non-oss repositories - not the name - be it
    internet or local network. If it is hhtp or whatever, ask the administrator of that server, ie, look
    for yourself.

--
    Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
    (from 11.2 x86_64 "Emerald" GM (Elessar))

Near Brussels, Belgium N50 50.394 E4 29.462

Default Re: How to install on hard disk (as dual OS) using USB and no USB boot option in BIOS?

On 2010-08-30, InkSpilled <InkSpilled@no-mx.forums.opensuse.org> wrote:

> I'd like to install openSUSE onto the D Drive, using the USB and PLoP
    > to boot it. I've downloaded openSUSE's torrents for all iso's (Net, DVD
    > and LiveKDE). In order to get those files onto the USB, I first format
    > to FAT32. I've tried UNetBootIn, LiLi, and mounting the iso on Daemon
    > Tools and then copy-paste into the hard drive. None of these work and
    > they all give different errors.
    >
    > Is this even possible, am I wasting my time? This is getting incredibly
    > frustrating as I've been at it for nearly a week. Any help at all,
    > suggestions, anything would be greatly appreciated!

As it has been suggested allready, plug a CD or DVD drive in, if only
    temporarily. Another possibility is to find an external DVD drive to boot
    from.

Or, give the D drive to someone else, to put Linux on.

--
    When in doubt, use brute force.
    -- Ken Thompson

Yup, I am an idiot. I'm running openSUSE now. Thank you to everyone for responding! Should anyone else have the same trouble, I'll post how I did it, the way I needed it explained.

When installing openSUSE 11.3 (other distros and versions also presumably applicable) using UNetBootin from existing Windows XP (again, other versions presumably also applicable), there are a few steps not explained anywhere else that I've found. If you keep getting various error messages such as "CD number 1 not found," "no repositories found" and "cannot find file" no matter what different paths you try, you may find your answers here. This is a how-to for installing a linux distro on your hard drive from your hard drive, to replace or add to the running Windows OS, without the use of a usb, cd or dvd, using UNetBootin. ** Note - ISO images downloaded as torrents are much more reliable than those downloaded through your web browser!

1. Open UNetBootin
    1a - If you do not have an ISO downloaded onto your hard drive, choose Distribution->Select Distribution->Select Version
    1b - If you do have an ISO downloaded onto your hard drive, choose Disk Image->ISO->... to Browse for the ISO
    1c - Use this option if you already have created the partition that you would like to install openSUSE on, as a dual OS in addition to Windows. Let's say that partition is drive D:/. Do the following drive D:/. Download an ISO, install Daemon Tools (or another drive emulator), mount the ISO on the drive emulator, open the emulated drive, copy the initrd and linux kernel to D:/, install UNetBootin, open UNetBootin. Choose Custom->Kernel->... and Browse to select the kernel file you copied previously, then Initrd->... and Browse to select the initrd file you copied previously.
    2. Type->Hard Disk, Drive->Select the drive that you are running UNetBootin from
    and have downloaded the ISO to. If the drive does not show up, feel free to ask me as I had the same problem. Click OK and let UNetBootin do its thing. Reboot when prompted.
    3. Select UNetBootin from the boot options that will automatically appear. Select UNetBootin again. If you get a no-cd drive error, ignore it. Start the installation, choose Network, HTTP. Allow DHCP to automatically configure if prompted. The source will be "http://download.opensuse.org/" followed by the directory "distribution/11.3/repo/oss/." Follow on-screen directions after that. You will be given options to partition - be sure to do so carefully. I would suggest editing the setup to check that the options selected are really what you want. I left the install going overnight once it started installing. ** Note - If this does not work for you, try the following - Reboot, choose UNetBootin on the boot menu, and try to find a menu that looks like this ->
    "UNetBootin
    linux"
    followed by a few other options on other lines. Try choosing linux and then continuing with the HTTP network install.

Any questions, respond to this here or email/message me. I hope this helps someone out as it would have helped me.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12