Thread: Weird printer problem with 11.3

Default Weird printer problem with 11.3

Hi

I'm running 64 bit 11.3 with KDE and CUPS printer support. I have an HP Photosmart 3210 printer. Since upgrading from 11.2, I have been able to print the first page of any document out fine - but the subsequent pages are filled with repetitive printing of single lines which tends to end up with huge black blocks.

I looked at the CUPS website, found that a guy called Reiner had reported a similar problem with a different HP printer and received the rather dismissive response - "We do not support or develop the software/driver you are using. Please contact the developer for assistance." What on earth does this mean? HP is not exactly an obscure make of printer - and it's not that old. I can't see support for any Photosmart printer on the CUPS site. Where do I go from here?

Philip Timms

Default Re: Weird printer problem with 11.3

Have you tried the HP drivers? HP is one of the few that at least attempt to support Linux

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipTimms View Post
    Hi

I'm running 64 bit 11.3 with KDE and CUPS printer support. I have an HP Photosmart 3210 printer. Since upgrading from 11.2, I have been able to print the first page of any document out fine - but the subsequent pages are filled with repetitive printing of single lines which tends to end up with huge black blocks.

I looked at the CUPS website, found that a guy called Reiner had reported a similar problem with a different HP printer and received the rather dismissive response - "We do not support or develop the software/driver you are using. Please contact the developer for assistance." What on earth does this mean? HP is not exactly an obscure make of printer - and it's not that old. I can't see support for any Photosmart printer on the CUPS site. Where do I go from here?

Philip Timms
    As gogalthorp says, the hpijs driver?
    I've also recommend uninstall/reinstall the HP printer. Several times in the past an upgrade to CUPS caused printing problems, resolved by uninstall/reinstall the printers.
    Box 1: OpenSuse 11.1/Win7 | Linux 2.6.27 Gnome | AMD 64 X2 6000+ | nVidia 8600GT | 2GB RAM
    Box 2: OpenSuse 11.2 | Linux 2.6.31 Gnome | AMD 64 3000+ | ATI X800 Pro | 1GB RAM
    Box 3: Win7 Premium Home | Intel P4 3.0Gz | ATI AIW 2006 | 2GB RAM

No joy with uninstalling and re-installing printer - may have to wait for a version of HPLIP for 11.3 - it only goes up to 11.2.

Once you have the ppd driver, it's not very complicated, either from command line (man lpadmin), using the cups web interface ( http://localhost:631) or with YaST. I don't see why you could not borrow the ppd file from 11.2 and copy it in /etc/cups/ppd.

Blog Entries

It's either cups or gutenprint. A bug report has not been filed yet.

Blog Entries

I just updated cups, gutenprint, and the hp drivers from Index of /repositories/Printing and the problem is resolved.

Hi

This seems to have resolved for me by using the latest hpijs driver rather than the cups driver - they both have the same version numbers

I also upgraded cups and hplib

PROBLEMS SOLVED

now the black pages after the first one in normal print are gone

Hplib works better then the stock version which had trouble with the cups-backend