Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Installing MPI library

  1. #1

    Default Installing MPI library

    Hello,
    I am trying to install a program that requires to previously installed an MPI library. I have read this on the Installation guide, but Iii have no idea of what that is or how should I install it.
    I hope you can help me. Thanks

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Montreal, Québec
    Posts
    833

    Default Re : Installing MPI library

    Hi,

    You can go in yast->install software and search for this library. Can you provide a link of the program you wish to install?

  3. #3

    Default Re: Re : Installing MPI library

    Hi,
    I have installed all I have found on yast regarding MPI (mpich, mpich-devel, openmpi and openmpi-devel) but when I install the programe, it still says that I have to instal the MPI library. Reading the intalation guide I understand that I still need something like mpich-library or openmpi-library.
    Maybe I need to ad a repository containing an mpi library for Suse 10.3, but I dont know where to find it.
    The program i want to install is: CitcomS — CIG
    Thanks for your help

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    4,654

    Default Re: Installing MPI library

    metzer52 wrote:

    >
    > Hi,
    > I have installed all I have found on yast regarding MPI (mpich,
    > mpich-devel, openmpi and openmpi-devel) but when I install the programe,
    > it still says that I have to instal the MPI library. Reading the
    > intalation guide I understand that I still need something like
    > mpich-library or openmpi-library.
    > Maybe I need to ad a repository containing an mpi library for Suse
    > 10.3, but I dont know where to find it.
    > The program i want to install is: 'CitcomS — CIG'
    > (http://www.geodynamics.org/cig/software/citcoms)
    > Thanks for your help
    >
    >

    Is 10.3 a typo? You will not find proper repositories for 10.3 because it
    long ago reached end of life.
    I assume you meant 11.3.
    If you tell me which version of citcoms you want to install (svn or 3.1.1) I
    wil download it and check what you need to compile it and give you some
    advice how to do it.
    The mpi packages you mentioned and have installed should be the correct
    ones.

    --
    openSUSE 11.2 64 bit | Intel Core2 Quad Q8300@2.50GHz | Gnome 2.28 | GeForce
    9600 GT | 4GB Ram
    openSUSE 11.3 64 bit | Intel Core2 Duo T9300@2.50GHz | Gnome 2.30 | Quadro
    FX 3600M | 4GB Ram


  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    4,654

    Default Re: Installing MPI library

    Your openmpi and opepenmpi-devel should be fine, what cicoms is really
    missing is the mpicc command which can be installed with

    Code:
    sudo zypper install lam lam-devel
    Then ./configure runs without errors and does not claim that you have no
    mpi.

    --
    openSUSE 11.2 64 bit | Intel Core2 Quad Q8300@2.50GHz | Gnome 2.28 | GeForce
    9600 GT | 4GB Ram
    openSUSE 11.3 64 bit | Intel Core2 Duo T9300@2.50GHz | Gnome 2.30 | Quadro
    FX 3600M | 4GB Ram


  6. #6

    Default Re: Installing MPI library

    Hi,
    thank you. I finally could install citcoms following you instructions.
    10.3 is not a typo. I have to use that version cause I have to use another program that only runs under that one.
    Thank you.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    4,654

    Default Re: Installing MPI library

    metzer52 wrote:

    >
    > Hi,
    > thank you. I finally could install citcoms following you
    > instructions.
    > 10.3 is not a typo. I have to use that version cause I have to use
    > another program that only runs under that one.
    > Thank you.
    >
    >

    Ok, I am glad you succeeded (since I have no chance to check it with a 10.x
    version).

    If you are interested, what about a new thread where you post the question
    how to make your "other program" work with opensuse 11.3?
    Sooner or later this problem will come up for you and you can obtain some
    info in advance if someone was able to use it in 11.3 or knows how to make
    it work in newer versions.


    --
    openSUSE 11.2 64 bit | Intel Core2 Quad Q8300@2.50GHz | Gnome 2.28 | GeForce
    9600 GT | 4GB Ram
    openSUSE 11.3 64 bit | Intel Core2 Duo T9300@2.50GHz | Gnome 2.30 | Quadro
    FX 3600M | 4GB Ram


  8. #8

    Default Re: Installing MPI library

    Ok, I'll try to do that.
    Meanwhile, maybe you can help me with this:
    I have finally managed to install CitcomS, but when I try to run it I get the next error message:
    from mpi.Application import Application
    ImportError: No module named mpi.Application

    Any idea of what that is?

    thank you

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    4,654

    Default Re: Installing MPI library

    metzer52 wrote:

    >
    > Ok, I'll try to do that.
    > Meanwhile, maybe you can help me with this:
    > I have finally managed to install CitcomS, but when I try to run it I
    > get the next error message:
    > from mpi.Application import Application
    > ImportError: No module named mpi.Application
    >
    > Any idea of what that is?
    >
    > thank you
    >
    >

    Can you post exactly what you put on the command line to start it?
    Did you run lamboot before?
    Is that a python error message or do you run the c version of the commands?

    --
    openSUSE 11.2 64 bit | Intel Core2 Quad Q8300@2.50GHz | Gnome 2.28 | GeForce
    9600 GT | 4GB Ram
    openSUSE 11.3 64 bit | Intel Core2 Duo T9300@2.50GHz | Gnome 2.30 | Quadro
    FX 3600M | 4GB Ram


  10. #10

    Default Re: Installing MPI library

    Quote Originally Posted by martin_helm View Post
    metzer52 wrote:

    >
    > Ok, I'll try to do that.
    > Meanwhile, maybe you can help me with this:
    > I have finally managed to install CitcomS, but when I try to run it I
    > get the next error message:
    > from mpi.Application import Application
    > ImportError: No module named mpi.Application
    >
    > Any idea of what that is?
    >
    > thank you
    >
    >

    Can you post exactly what you put on the command line to start it?
    Did you run lamboot before?
    Is that a python error message or do you run the c version of the commands?

    --
    openSUSE 11.2 64 bit | Intel Core2 Quad Q8300@2.50GHz | Gnome 2.28 | GeForce
    9600 GT | 4GB Ram
    openSUSE 11.3 64 bit | Intel Core2 Duo T9300@2.50GHz | Gnome 2.30 | Quadro
    FX 3600M | 4GB Ram
    hey there
    just a thing i want to know,
    i have two connected ad hoc opensuse 11.3 boxes
    and i want to do some parallel programming
    i've installed openmpi from software manager
    but i want the program to use the other box processer and i dont know how
    can anyone help?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •