Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I have a problem with switchable graphics laptop

Default I have a problem with switchable graphics laptop

I have a HP touchsmart tm2 series laptop with switchable graphics

the laptop can use either the intel gma945 or ati radeon 4550 graphics cards.

I would like the laptop to run on the low power intel chip only, but I do not know how to set it.

By default the ati card is running, and I cannot disable it by making a xorg.conf file that does not include it.

I looked at the kernel config file for opensuse 11.3 and it says that the option for the vga_switcheroo is selected.

How does vga_switcheroo work in opensuse?

If I look at the tutorials online, they speak about modifying files in /sys/kernel/debug/vgaswitcheroo

however this directory is absent in suse' s filesystem and it cannot be created.

Does anybody know how VGA switcheroo works in opensuse or

could anyone suggest me how to disable the ati card and use the intel only?

Thanks a lot

Default Re: I have a problem with switchable graphics laptop

Just worked this out for myself on my HP dv7t - ATI 5650 / Intel HD.

Make sure you have an entry in fstab for debugfs:
    Code:
    debugfs              /sys/kernel/debug    debugfs    defaults	0 0
    By default, my entry was 'noauto' - this means it is not mounted at startup. You can mount it manually or automatically by changing 'noauto' to 'auto' (or defaults which includes auto option)

Code:
    # su - 
    # mount debugfs
    # cat /sys/kernel/debug/vgaswitcheroo/switch
    # echo DDIS/DIGD/OFF > /sys/kernel/debug/vgaswitcheroo/switch
    First you need root permissions, the mount debugfs (if not auto). The third line will tell you which card is powered on. And 4th, DDIS to turn on discrete or dedicated (ATI, nvidia, etc), DIGD for integrated (intel), or OFF to power off whichever card is currently on. Logout after you enter the last command for changes to take effect!

There are scripts available to automate this process, but it involves a fair amount of work to get it set up. Commands are simple enough you can probably just use those. Hope this helps you.

It don't work in my asus ul30vt. screen freezed and /var/log/Xorg.0.log like this: pastebin - Mine - post number 1989164

I'm trying to shutdown nvidia card

Quote Originally Posted by TMTom View Post
    Just worked this out for myself on my HP dv7t - ATI 5650 / Intel HD.
    Hello,

I'm looking for help on vga_switcheroo too. My fstab looks exactly like yours (debugfs line), debugfs is mounted after system start but I don't have vgaswitcheroo directory in /sys/kernel/debug.

My OS is openSUSE 11.3 x86_64, kernel 2.6.36-91-default from Kernel:HEAD. Notebook Asus N73J with NVIDIA GT 335M and Intel i5-520M.

Quote Originally Posted by stalker_novell View Post
    Hello,

I'm looking for help on vga_switcheroo too. My fstab looks exactly like yours (debugfs line), debugfs is mounted after system start but I don't have vgaswitcheroo directory in /sys/kernel/debug.

My OS is openSUSE 11.3 x86_64, kernel 2.6.36-91-default from Kernel:HEAD. Notebook Asus N73J with NVIDIA GT 335M and Intel i5-520M.
    vga_switcheroo requires that BOTH graphics modules are loaded. Run lsmod to see if both modules are loaded. In my case I need to have both the intel (i915) and radeon (radeon) modules loaded else vga_switcheroo won't load.

Quote Originally Posted by belltown View Post
    vga_switcheroo requires that BOTH graphics modules are loaded. Run lsmod to see if both modules are loaded. In my case I need to have both the intel (i915) and radeon (radeon) modules loaded else vga_switcheroo won't load.
    When I start KDE and look into Information Center, in graphic controller section I see Intel Arrandale and 'intel' as 2D driver (no 3D driver available). Then `lsmod | grep i915` shows few lines, `lsmod | grep nv` shows nothing, `lsmod | grep nouveau` shows nothing also. 'vgaswitcheroo' directory in /sys/kernel/debug isn't present. Then I do `modprobe nvidia` and 'nvidia' module is loaded (lsmod shows it). I close and open KDE Information Center again and graphic controller is now NVIDIA GT 335M but 2D driver is 'intel' again. 'vgaswitcheroo' direcory in /sys/kernel/debug isn't present. `umount debugfs`, `mount debugfs` - still not.

NVIDIA binary driver is installed from NVIDIA repository for openSUSE (260.19.12), kernel 2.6.34.7-0.5.1. NO_KMS_IN_INITRD=yes, no 'nomodeset' in kernel start line in GRUB.

I want use my notebook as PC replacement so I mostly don't need Intel but want to use NVIDIA as primary graphic controller. What should I do more to enable 'vga_switcheroo'?

I have the same problem. As this thread was dead for a year I hope that meanwhile the problem is fixed. Please help me.

Blog Entries

I have the same problem. As this thread was dead for a year I hope that meanwhile the problem is fixed. Please help me.
    I seriously recommend that you start a new thread on this, with a suitably descriptive title, to catch the attention of those who may be able to assist. You haven't supplied any information concerning your laptop model and graphics chipsets either. That should be the first thing you mention, otherwise those that could help will be left guessing.

Code:
    /sbin/lspci -nnk
    Look for the output pertaining to your graphics chipsets. Cut and paste here (and don't forget to post the output between CODE tags).

Do the commands above switch from ATi/nvidia to intel? I'm referring to:

Code:
    # echo DDIS/DIGD/OFF > /sys/kernel/debug/vgaswitcheroo/switch
    If so, how does one switch back to ATI/Nvidia from intel? Would it be this command:

Code:
    # echo DIGD/DDIS/OFF > /sys/kernel/debug/vgaswitcheroo/switch

Blog Entries

This connects intel graphics chipset to outputs
    Code:
    echo "DIGD" > /sys/kernel/debug/vgaswitcheroo/switch
    This connects the radeon chipset to the outputs
    Code:
    echo "DDIS" > /sys/kernel/debug/vgaswitcheroo/switch
    Turns OFF the graphics card that is currently DISCONNECTED
    Code:
    echo OFF > /sys/kernel/debug/vgaswitcheroo/switch
    Turns ON the disconnected graphics card, but does NOT switch outputs.
    Code:
    echo ON > /sys/kernel/debug/vgaswitcheroo/switch

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast