Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SUSE 11.1 install not recognizing PATA hard drive

Default SUSE 11.1 install not recognizing PATA hard drive

Hello,

I have an Intel MB (855GME with 6300ESB) that I'm having trouble installing OpenSUSE 11.1 onto the IDE drive. It will install to a SATA drive but for various reasons I need to install on IDE (PATA on 6300ESB). The install fails to find any ide drive (I know the drive/interface works because I can install XP on this same ide drive and boot from it, also RHEL4 boots). If I parse the dmesg output I see the message "ata_piix 0000:1f.1 device not available because of BAR 2 (0x0-0x7) collisions". I'm trying to determine if there's some workaround for this. I've tried various kernel parameters and no joy.

I've tried Ubuntu with similar results. I've tried the all_generic_ide kernel param too.

Older kernels WILL install onto this same MB/PATA controller (Ubuntu 6.06, 2.6.15 and RHEL4) so it seems that something changed in the ATA driver as the kernel has matured and my bios isn't up to snuff for these pickier drivers.

Any ideas?? THANKS!

Blog Entries

Default Re: SUSE 11.1 install not recognizing PATA hard drive

Make sure the jumper is set to Master
    Leap 15.1_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

Yes, thanks, that has been done.

Blog Entries

It's alone on the cable isn't it?!
    Leap 15.1_KDE

Yes, it's the only drive on the cable. I can remove this drive and place another (already imaged drive) on the same connection and it will boot from this drive (or alternatively I can install XP on this drive). I've tried multiple drives. I've tried ide0 and ide2 individually and they both generate the same result. I've even tried multiple MB's that are identical (we manufacture SBC's for VME and so we have many of these board's on the shelf) so I know it's not a physical problem with the hardware (i.e. ATA controller section of 6300ESB).

Blog Entries

So did you try something other than 11.1, which will end support soon (end Dec 2010)
    Leap 15.1_KDE

Are you installing this to a stand alone IDE on what kind of board? Chipset numbers do nothing for me, I need to know the motherboard's identification and features.

I think 11.1 is when the kernel departed from describing devices as /dev/hdx to /dev/disk/by-id/uuid
    When the openSUSE CD/DVD gets to the partitioning selection, you chose custom and does that show you all of the attached drives?
    Box 1: OpenSuse 11.1/Win7 | Linux 2.6.27 Gnome | AMD 64 X2 6000+ | nVidia 8600GT | 2GB RAM
    Box 2: OpenSuse 11.2 | Linux 2.6.31 Gnome | AMD 64 3000+ | ATI X800 Pro | 1GB RAM
    Box 3: Win7 Premium Home | Intel P4 3.0Gz | ATI AIW 2006 | 2GB RAM

Quote Originally Posted by tararpharazon View Post
    Are you installing this to a stand alone IDE on what kind of board? Chipset numbers do nothing for me, I need to know the motherboard's identification and features.

I think 11.1 is when the kernel departed from describing devices as /dev/hdx to /dev/disk/by-id/uuid
    When the openSUSE CD/DVD gets to the partitioning selection, you chose custom and does that show you all of the attached drives?
    Ok, so this is not a COTS motherboard. This is a custom Single Board Computer (VMEbus-based form factor), based on an Intel reference design. It uses the Intel 855GME northbridge and Intel 6300ESB southbridge. The PATA/SATA controller is built into the 6300ESB. OpenSUSE never gets to the partitioning screen. It fails before that point with a dialog that says basically 'no hard drives found'.

Quote Originally Posted by caf4926 View Post
    So did you try something other than 11.1, which will end support soon (end Dec 2010)
    Yes, I've tried Ubuntu 9.04 and Fedora Core10. Same failed results.

RHEL4 and Ubuntu 6.06 WILL recognize the hard drive on PATA and install though.

I'm wondering what options are set in the bios,(involving hard disks and there controlleres) ? Could you enter the bios and let us know what you find?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast