Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Upgrade from 11.2 to 11.3 went slightly awry - need an expert! Will pay BEER!!

Default Upgrade from 11.2 to 11.3 went slightly awry - need an expert! Will pay BEER!!

Anyways, so I did a repository upgrade to 11.3 last night. Once it was done I rebooted, and the fun began.

First the gui was toast, so I had to fix that issue, it's good now but it was ugly.

Secondary to that, I get all kinds of USB errors I never saw before while it's booting up.

It takes 8 - 10 minutes to finish booting up completely...

AND, it won't shut down all the way.

I can provide what ever log files one might need. Gotta this big stuff fixed so I can get to work on the other little things that don't work now.

Gotta tell you, I'm a little unhappy that the upgrade went this way. As much as I hate MS, the upgrade on my wifes pc from Vista to 7 was smooth as silk (a little long, but smooth).

Any help would greatly be appreciated.
    Laptop #1: Dell Studio 1536 AMD Turion64 x2 | openSUSE 11.3 GNOME
    Laptop #2: Zenix AMD OctoCor512 x4, 1TB RAM, ATI Radeon HDX-9500, WD Bantha 5PB 25K RPM x2 vRAID 0

Blog Entries

Default Re: Upgrade from 11.2 to 11.3 went slightly awry - need an expert! Will pay BEER!!

When you say 'Upgrade', do you mean a new install.
    Or did you employ some other method.

I recommend a new install, (keeping /home is OK)
    Leap 15.1_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

Default Re: Upgrade from 11.2 to 11.3 went slightly awry - need an expert! Will pay BEER!!

I did the repository upgrade/install over the internet. I have a faulty internal dvd player - it won't let me boot any dvd (even though I can burn to it and read from it).

So I don't have a way of installing 11.3 clean or I would have.

I can't tell you how frustrated I am at the troubles I'm going through:
    -USB totally inop
    -8 to 10 minutes to boot
    -no SSD mounting
    -no webcam
    -sound has to be manually turned up
    -system won't shut off

......any help would be hugely appreciated. I'd beer you, I really would.
    Laptop #2: Zenix AMD OctoCor512 x4, 1TB RAM, ATI Radeon HDX-9500, WD Bantha 5PB 25K RPM x2 vRAID 0

If your box can boot from usb, rather do a fresh install from usb using either the netboot image or one of the live images.
    If your 11.2 install used the default and /home is on a separate partition, you won't lose any data.
    http://catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
    (How to ask questions)

anytime your performing a distro update you need add all corresponding repos oss, non-oss, yum update debug and src repos and prior to performing the update you have to update the version of zypper for that distro and remove all former 11.2 repos.

You may have the wrong kernel setting for system, did you perform a zypper dup?

If you list the repos you used that would be great? further more you always shutdown linux from terminal window shutdown -h now as root.

Quote Originally Posted by suselizard32 View Post
    anytime your performing a distro update you need add all corresponding repos oss, non-oss, yum update debug and src repos and prior to performing the update you have to update the version of zypper for that distro and remove all former 11.2 repos.
    I went by the instructions oldcpu posted.

You may have the wrong kernel setting for system, did you perform a zypper dup?
    Yes, and what command would tell me the kernel info?

If you list the repos you used that would be great? further more you always shutdown linux from terminal window shutdown -h now as root.
    Right now I'm using OSS, NON OSS, Updates, and Packman (all 11.3).

And I had no idea that we shut down openSUSE usint a terminal window. I thought that was what the shut down buttons in the menu was for.??

Quote Originally Posted by whych View Post
    If your box can boot from usb, rather do a fresh install from usb using either the netboot image or one of the live images.
    If your 11.2 install used the default and /home is on a separate partition, you won't lose any data.
    I've struggled with this before. I used unetbootin and various images with very differing results (from awesome to suckage). I also used a command line way of doing it that took a long time, and had the same various results.

If you have a tried and true method that doesn't require me to have a masters in linux command line voodoo, that would be great.

Carlos E. R. NNTP User

Default Re: Upgrade from 11.2 to 11.3 went slightly awry - need an expert!Will pay BEER!!

On 2010-08-25 22:06, YehudahLeib wrote:
    >
    > Anyways, so I did a repository upgrade to 11.3 last night. Once it was
    > done I rebooted, and the fun began.
    >
    > First the gui was toast, so I had to fix that issue, it's good now but
    > it was ugly.
    >
    > Secondary to that, I get all kinds of USB errors I never saw before
    > while it's booting up.
    >
    > It takes 8 - 10 minutes to finish booting up completely...

Are you using NFS mounts? There is a known problem with them, very long booting.

I can't remember the name of the thread where this was solved. Ah, yes, found it: "nfs timing out
    during boot on 11.3". Or an older one: "nfs weirdness with upgrade to 11.3", or "11.3: Delay/Hanging
    of appr. 3 minutes during boot process".

>
    > AND, it won't shut down all the way.
    >
    > I can provide what ever log files one might need.

Make the machine boot in verbose mode (press "Esc" soon, or change "splash=verbose" in grub), so
    that you can see the messages as it is trying to boot. Notice what it is doing when it stops.

Later look at the boot.msg log, find that place.

> Gotta tell you, I'm a little unhappy that the upgrade went this way.
    > As much as I hate MS, the upgrade on my wifes pc from Vista to 7 was
    > smooth as silk (a little long, but smooth).

Yes, upgrades need some work. Don't heed too much the crowd telling you to re-install fresh :-P

.... because often you will get the same problem when you migrate your things to the new install. But
    it helps if you previously installed the new version fresh into a small partition to see if it works.

--
    Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
    (from 11.2 x86_64 "Emerald" GM (Elessar))

Carlos E. R. NNTP User

Default Re: Upgrade from 11.2 to 11.3 went slightly awry - need an expert!Will pay BEER!!

On 2010-08-26 03:36, YehudahLeib wrote:

> Yes, and what command would tell me the kernel info?

uname -a

rpm -qa | grep -i kernel

> And I had no idea that we shut down openSUSE usint a terminal window.
    > I thought that was what the shut down buttons in the menu was for.??

There are many things that can be run from a command line. It is specially good in case of problems.
    Me, I never power-off from inside the desktop menu.

--
    Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
    (from 11.2 x86_64 "Emerald" GM (Elessar))

Quote Originally Posted by YehudahLeib View Post
    I've struggled with this before. I used unetbootin and various images with very differing results (from awesome to suckage). I also used a command line way of doing it that took a long time, and had the same various results.

If you have a tried and true method that doesn't require me to have a masters in linux command line voodoo, that would be great.
    The new 11.3 live images will boot directly from usb. You need to use dd to simply copy them to the usb.
    Look at this page for a how to:
    SDB:Live USB stick - openSUSE
    If you scroll down to 'The hard way' you will find the dd instructions.
    Beware, it will overwrite your usb stick.

Else:
    open a terminal and cd to the download directory of the live iso.
    Now become root by typing su and the root password.
    Without the usb stick plugged in type fdisk -l (lowercase L)
    Note the output.
    Connect the usb stick and enter fdisk -l again.
    Note what the mount point is for the usb stick (Something like /dev/sdx)
    Now just simply type:

dd if=live.iso of=/dev/sdx

Where live.iso is the name of the live openSUSE iso.

(To save typing for the iso name you can use the tab key:
    Type dd if=open{tab}
    And as long as you have typed enough of the name, it will auto complete.)

This is probably quicker than trying to figure what went wrong with the distro update.
    http://catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
    (How to ask questions)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast