KDE 4.5 tray bug

Hello!
Can anyone confirm 4.5 system tray freeze • KDE Community Forums ?

Developer says its “badly compiled distro packages”.

I see thing bug myself, also icons dups appear after plasma-desktop restart.
Where should it be reported to?

If they claim it’s distro-related I’d report it at https://bugzilla.novell.com

error is kdebase4-workspace 493.3 specific.
490.1 has another annoying bug – klipper menu is not autoclosed :frowning:

Strange, I have kdebase4-workspace-4.5.0-493.3.x86_64, cannot reproduce this. That is, I cannot get the system tray to cause a freeze at all.

If this was after a major upgrade (i.e. to 4.5.0), did you “rebuild” your desktop appearance?

Even after described scenario with restart?

sorry what do you mean?

I filled the bug with step by step scenario.
https://bugzilla.novell.com/show_bug.cgi?id=633634

in my case its not freeze, but crash.

If you remove your plasma config files, the default appearance will be reapplied, new config files will be created. That means that remains of settings that may corrupt your plasmadesktop will be eliminated. Another way to find out if the problem could be in there, is to create a new user, login to KDE as that user, and see if the problem persists.

I did exactly this, and it’s simply not happening. Funny thing is, I don’t get the symbol lookup error. Not after repeating the sequence 3 times, not after a reboot. This makes me think there’s something wrong in your KDE4 install. How exactly did you upgrade?

I didnt like idea loose all the plasma configs, so tried on new user.
Its the same error.

Added factory repo, switch to this repo, install.
I used this way since 4.1.

Mmm, tried some other machines last night, none of them has this. But…so far I only tried on machines with NVIDIA graphic cards, could this be a driver problem?
One other thing I could think of: do you have programs autostarting, or better, which programs start with your session, and store an icon in the system tray?

BTW, the way I read it, the comment on the KDE forums about badly compiled distro packages did not refer to the OP.

I have intel card, i915 as logs say.
On test user I autostarted no one program.

With my profile: klipper, nagstamon, device monitor, kmixer, notification applet, language switcher.

Its really sad to disturb you so much :frowning:
If no one will confirm this bug, it will be better for me to wait for 4.5.1.

thank you.

Come on, you’re not disturbing :slight_smile: The behaviour your desktop has could be called disturbing :wink:

I’ll be at a customer tomorrow, they have some laptops with Intel 915 GPU’s and KDE4; will see if I can reproduce this. If so, we may have found this is due to the intel driver.

Totally not disturbed I wish you a nice day

looks like its ok now, after 451 upgrade

Funny, I went through the change-log yesterday, could not find this as a fixed bug…, anyway, good it’s sorted for you.