Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: grub and start issues

Unhappy grub and start issues

I have 3 systems which failed on me at the same time.
    1. work desktop with freshly installed 11.3 everything is fine with instalation but when rebooted I get missing operating system, so I have to boot from disk and update the os every time. What should I do? played with boot loader but was not able to find the right option and I stopped messing around.

2. my home desktop lost my OpenSuse 11.1 - 64 bit, starting partition from harddisk and was going to win directly. I repaired it with the installation disk but now it starts and stops at grub. that's it just a terminal with grub> and prompt. Most probably grub doesn't know where is the partitions and the partition used is not the correct one. Not sure how to navigate from it as none of the commands which i list with tab are familiar to me.

3. my laptop had the same symptoms but the installation disk for 11.1 - 32 bit recovered the system but lost Windows partition:
    here are the commands needed to be able to add the entry in the grub but not sure if i know exactly which one to use:
    bonaire:/home/dan # fdisk -l

Disk /dev/sda: 100.0 GB, 100030242816 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 12161 cylinders
    Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
    Disk identifier: 0x30ff8ef5

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
    /dev/sda1 1 784 6297448+ 12 Compaq diagnostics
    /dev/sda2 785 7312 52436160 7 HPFS/NTFS
    /dev/sda3 * 8209 12161 31752472+ f W95 Ext'd (LBA)
    /dev/sda4 7313 7509 1582402+ 82 Linux swap / Solaris
    /dev/sda5 8209 10557 18868311 83 Linux
    /dev/sda6 10558 12161 12884098+ 83 Linux

Partition table entries are not in disk order
    bonaire:/home/dan # cat /etc/fstab
    /dev/disk/by-id/ata-TOSHIBA_MK1031GAS_Z58P1118S-part4 swap swap defaults 0 0
    /dev/disk/by-id/ata-TOSHIBA_MK1031GAS_Z58P1118S-part5 / ext3 acl,user_xattr 1 1
    /dev/disk/by-id/ata-TOSHIBA_MK1031GAS_Z58P1118S-part6 /home ext3 acl,user_xattr 1 2
    /dev/disk/by-id/ata-TOSHIBA_MK1031GAS_Z58P1118S-part2 /windows/C ntfs-3g users,gid=users,fmask=133,dmask=022,locale=en_US.UTF-8 0 0
    proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
    sysfs /sys sysfs noauto 0 0
    debugfs /sys/kernel/debug debugfs noauto 0 0
    usbfs /proc/bus/usb usbfs noauto 0 0
    devpts /dev/pts devpts mode=0620,gid=5 0 0
    bonaire:/home/dan # cat /boot/grub/menu.lst
    # Modified by YaST2. Last modification on Fri Aug 20 16:05:13 EDT 2010
    default 0
    timeout 8
    gfxmenu (hd0,4)/boot/message
    ##YaST - activate

###Don't change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name: linux###
    title SUSE LINUX
    root (hd0,4)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/disk/by-id/ata-TOSHIBA_MK1031GAS_Z58P1118S-part5 repair=1 resume=/dev/disk/by-id/ata-TOSHIBA_MK1031GAS_Z58P1118S-part4 splash=silent showopts vga=0x314
    initrd /boot/initrd

###Don't change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name: failsafe###
    title Failsafe -- SUSE LINUX
    root (hd0,4)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/disk/by-id/ata-TOSHIBA_MK1031GAS_Z58P1118S-part5 showopts ide=nodma apm=off noresume nosmp maxcpus=0 edd=off powersaved=off nohz=off highres=off processor.max_cstate=1 x11failsafe vga=0x314
    initrd /boot/initrd

========================
    Would it be : hd(0,3)?

Thanks

Blog Entries

Default Re: grub and start issues

###Don't change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name: windows###
    title Windows
    rootnoverify (hd0,1)
    chainloader +1

Lots of info at swerdna's
    GRUB Boot Multiboot openSUSE Windows (2000, XP, Vista) using the Grub bootloader.
    HowTo Boot into openSUSE when it won't Boot from the Grub Code on the Hard Drive
    Leap 15.1_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

Thank you. I forgot about swerdna's site. I will read there and hopefully get more info.

i reopened my home desktop(item #2) and it seems that one of the hard drives which on which i have windows and the linux swap partition has issues. I will backup the info on another drive and try to format it. Would it be possible to somehow create just the swap partition on the other disk so it can start ? the curious thing is that windows started before, but anyway what should i do after i backup everything? how can i get a new swap partition? only by reinstalling? maybe then would be better to install 11.3?
    thanks

Blog Entries

It sounds like you are telling me you repaired or re-installed windows and then tried to repair grub with the SUSE disk and it didn't work.
    If I had the PC in my sweaty little palms I'm sure I could sort it in a jiffy. It would have been easier if you hadn't tried the repair first.
    As for creating a swap on a different disk, yes, but it's complicated.

Honestly, considering the life of 11.1 I would consider updating it to 11.2 or 11.3

And I'm trying to recall if it was 11.1 that had the broken repair on the DVD!?

Chances are you don't have a backup of your original working menu.lst before the repair attempt do you? And without all the fdisk -l detail it's difficult to know exactly what you can do. You should get yourself parted Magic if you don't have it already, it's very handy in situations like this.
    Leap 15.1_KDE

might not be related to your issue, but you check LBA for your HD in bios settings?

I think i was not clear on this as i had too many items with small issues:
    this is my home desktop with 11.1 64 bit. yesterday was booting directly to windows. i looked at it with parted magic which can see all the drives and tried to repair it with the installation disk for 11.1. I didn't touch windows which i don't use (my wife still needs it). The repair got me nowhere just to the grub prompt. I opened again with parted magic and I got errors when scanning the harddrive with windows and the swap partition(they are on the same drive for some reason i cannot recall).
    I'm backing up right now on an external drive the contents of the harddrive and then i will backup the 11.1 home directory( i hope that's all needed) and i will try to get to grub and see if i can get any more info.
    if not successfull i will have to install 11.3. which might be challenging since i have an old ATI card but that was and it is the challenge i have to deal with.
    i will post in few minutes the result of fdisk -l and the other commands when I will log in from it via Parted magic network

Blog Entries

Leap 15.1_KDE

That's exactly what i was thinking to do after you gave me sverdna's link. I did it now and I will reboot the system, hopefully i'm lucky if not i will post the details.

Blog Entries

That was my guide. John has similar info.
    I have to sleep now here in UK
    Leap 15.1_KDE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast