Thread: Imagewriter?

Default Imagewriter?

Is this the right forum to ask a question about the Suse Studio imagewriter? If not, please move it to the right forum.

Anyway, I'm a bit mystified about what ISO-files the imagewriter can handle. I've tried three (the Suse 11.3 with KDE 4.5 live-CD, a clonezilla live CD, and the Kubuntu 10.04.1 live-cd). The two first work fine, and the USB-stick boots as it should.

The third one though...the imagewriter says "Sorry, I can't write this ISO. You need to use another program to write it to a DVD." BUT it's still just, as far as I can tell, an ordinary CD-iso. In fact, it can be written to a CD just fine (not DVD). And even if it had been a DVD, it would fit on my USB-stick (an 8 gig one).

Any idea of what may be wrong?

Default Re: Imagewriter?

Hello SauronXXX,

Quote Originally Posted by SauronXXX
    Is this the right forum to ask a question about the Suse Studio imagewriter? If not, please move it to the right forum.

Anyway, I'm a bit mystified about what ISO-files the imagewriter can handle. I've tried three (the Suse 11.3 with KDE 4.5 live-CD, a clonezilla live CD, and the Kubuntu 10.04.1 live-cd). The two first work fine, and the USB-stick boots as it should.

The third one though...the imagewriter says "Sorry, I can't write this ISO. You need to use another program to write it to a DVD." BUT it's still just, as far as I can tell, an ordinary CD-iso. In fact, it can be written to a CD just fine (not DVD). And even if it had been a DVD, it would fit on my USB-stick (an 8 gig one).

Any idea of what may be wrong?
    I think the problem is that both the openSUSE 11.3 iso and the clonezilla iso are hybrid.
    This means that it can be booted from a CD, DVD, USB-stick, Hard disk, Zip-drive.

I think that the Kubuntu iso isn't hybrid and that that's causing the problem.
    To make him hybrid start YaST Software Management and install "syslinux" (without the quotes).

Start a terminal and go to the directory containing the Kubuntu iso.
    Run this command:
    Code:
    isohybrid ./Kubuntu.iso
    And then try imagewriter again.

If you've got any questions feel free to ask.

Good luck!
    Where did I put my coffee cup?
    dir -R /home/* | grep "coffee cup"

Okay, that makes sense. The hybrid vs non-hybrid I mean.

If I understand you correctly, the isohybrid command is supposed to convert the iso to a hybrid one?

If so, it fails. All I get is:

"/usr/bin/isohybrid: kubuntu-10.04.1-desktop-amd64.iso: bootloader does not have a isolinux.bin hybrid signature.Note that isolinux-debug.bin does not support hybrid booting."

And consequently imagewriter (hm...flashback to my old MacPlus computer...) still won't do anything about the file.

Blog Entries

Hi
    I would try unetbootin;
    software.opensuse.org: Search Results
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by malcolmlewis View Post
    Hi
    I would try unetbootin;
    Ah, that one solved the problem! Thanks!

ok, i had the same problem, unetbootin couldn't found my usb stick even mounted. but the the trick with the hybridization as Edward wrote works fine!

I was getting the same error message from Imagewriter, and your suggested command below did the trick, thanks.

-v

Quote Originally Posted by Edward_Iii View Post
    Hello SauronXXX,

I think the problem is that both the openSUSE 11.3 iso and the clonezilla iso are hybrid.
    This means that it can be booted from a CD, DVD, USB-stick, Hard disk, Zip-drive.

I think that the Kubuntu iso isn't hybrid and that that's causing the problem.
    To make him hybrid start YaST Software Management and install "syslinux" (without the quotes).

Start a terminal and go to the directory containing the Kubuntu iso.
    Run this command:
    Code:
    isohybrid ./Kubuntu.iso
    And then try imagewriter again.

If you've got any questions feel free to ask.

Good luck!