Printer Support

11.2 installed on two PC’s and up to date. One one a Canon MX320 for which I downloaded the tar files and installed without a problem. :wink: On the other is a Canon Pixma ip1500 that will not install RPM’s. :’( Required for bjfilter-common-2.50-2.i386 are:

libgdk-1.2.so.0 - not available in software
libglib-1.2.so.0
libgmodule-1.2.so.0
libgtk-1.2.so
libpng.sso.2
libxml.so.1

libglib found in /usr/lib/libglib-2.so.0
libgmodule appears OK as libgmodule-2_0.0
libgtk found as libgtk-1_0.0 and libgtkhtml
libpng as libpng-12-0
libxml as libxml2

It looks as if libgdk is the main problem. Is there any fix I can use?

Hello johnmidl,

There are a few things not clear to me.

1. Where did you get that tar and .rpm from?
  2. Which program is giving you the error/problem?

The library libgdk-1.2.so.0 is available in the package gtk.
To install it start YaST->Software->Software Management.
Enter gtk in the search bar and select the package “gtk” (without the quotes).

The newly installed library can be found in /usr/lib/libgdk-1.2.so.0

Best of luck!:wink:

looks like you tried to install the ip1500 driver before the canon - common driver which will give the error you indicate.
to correctly install canon printer drivers (rpm or tar-zip) always install the canon-common first then the actual canon-(model) second. If you do it the reverse way, all you will get is dependency errors until you totally remove both drivers, reboot (usually a good idea), then do it right.

Normally, Linux does not require a reboot between steps. The one time when I have found it should be rebooted is when multi-part drivers are installed in the wrong order. Thusly it is prudent to pay particular attention to order of operations with printers, scanners, graphic tablets, touchscreens, video cards, and tuner cards which tend to often use multipart drivers.

Hey, I just had another thought. When I did my ip2600 it installed fine in x86_32bit but it did give the errors you indicated when trying to install for 64bit until I installed the 32bit libraries and made some simbolic links. In my case, the ip2600 works great in 32bit but runs rather slow and irratic under 64bit (first line and last line of page is always only half there under 64bit yet margins work, page transitions ie end page 1 begin page 2 takes twice as long under 64bit).

On 2010-08-19 13:36, johnmidl wrote:
>
> 11.2 installed on two PC’s and up to date. One one a Canon MX320 for
> which I downloaded the tar files and installed without a problem. :wink:

What tar files? Downloaded from where?

> On
> the other is a Canon Pixma ip1500 that will not install RPM’s. :’(
> Required for bjfilter-common-2.50-2.i386 are:
>
> libgdk-1.2.so.0 - not available in software

make sure you have gtk…rpm in yast. Are both machines the same arch, or is one 32 bits and the
other 64?

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.2 x86_64 “Emerald” GM (Elessar))

See if I can reply to all and thanks for the support.

Both pc’s 32 bit, both with same 11.2 kept updated as and when notified.

Downloaded open SUSE-11.2-KDE4-LiveCD-i686.iso 10/12/2009. Did not bother with live - too slow, so loaded. Has been fine untill this ip1500 problem croped up. The printer previously worked on 10.3 with rpm from same source - Canon UK as I did for MX320.

Neither gdk nor libgdk are listed on the source medium. gtk returns five folders for python, all 4KB and thus empty. Thus the required files have not been loaded.

Without them it is obviously not possible to install driver.

It seems that my initial load of the live system was faulty. I just wonder that the online updates have not picked up the missing procs. I guess because there are no updates in that area.

Is it not possible to get them online to update my system or must I reinstall or go for 11.3 (except it seems that 11.3 is only available as an 4.7GB dvd!)?

11.3 is available as live cd for both 32 bit and 64 bit as I just downloaded them for a client last night. btw he is using Canon pixma mx240 with drivers and common downloaded from uk site. common installed first, then driver. When you get to the download page scroll down below the DVD downloads and click the LIVECD box and you can then download either 11.3_32 or 11.3_64

On 2010-08-22 18:06, johnmidl wrote:
>
> See if I can reply to all and thanks for the support.
>
> Both pc’s 32 bit, both with same 11.2 kept updated as and when
> notified.
>
> Downloaded open SUSE-11.2-KDE4-LiveCD-i686.iso 10/12/2009. Did not
> bother with live - too slow, so loaded. Has been fine untill this ip1500
> problem croped up. The printer previously worked on 10.3 with rpm from
> same source - Canon UK as I did for MX320.
>
> Neither gdk nor libgdk are listed on the source medium. gtk returns
> five folders for python, all 4KB and thus empty. Thus the required files
> have not been loaded.

Gtk (notice the t, not d) is a needed library for gnome, and you installed the kde live - it is
normal you don’t have it, or that it is incomplete. But you can install any missing rpm using yast,
from the online repos. Firefox needs gtk, I believe.

Gdk (this time d) is a totally different library. The available libraries are:

S | Name | Summary | Type
–±-----------------±--------------------------------------±-------
i | gdk-pixbuf | A Library for Fast Pixel Manipulation | package
| gdk-pixbuf-32bit | A Library for Fast Pixel Manipulation | package
i | gdk-pixbuf-devel | GdkPixBuf - Development Environment | package
| gdk-pixbuf-gnome | A Library for Fast Pixel Manipulation | package

However, /usr/lib/libgdk-1.2.so.0 is suplied by gtk-1.2.10…rpm. (notice the later change - no
error). And /usr/lib/libgdk.so comes in the corresponding -devel rpm.

Then, you are installing a driver for a printer, yes, one supplied by the printer maker for 10.3 -
there is no guarantee that it will work on any other version of the distro. You would have to ask
Cannon for an updated driver - good luck with that.

I stopped buying from Canon time ago because of poor Linux support.

A possible alternative is getting the prnter drivers from Turboprint. They make good drivers for
linux, payware but affordable (free updates). I have used them.

> It seems that my initial load of the live system was faulty. I just
> wonder that the online updates have not picked up the missing procs. I
> guess because there are no updates in that area.

Only the “repair” option would notice that, as you only get updates for what you have already
installed, or that it comes from a dependency from another package. If this has not happened, then
you don’t need them in your system.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.

Thanks, will try Canon, otherwise go for Turboprint which I have avoided due to cost.

On 2010-08-23 15:06, johnmidl wrote:

> Thanks, will try Canon, otherwise go for Turboprint which I have
> avoided due to cost.

Well, the test is free (gratis). I had to use that solution for some years, but in the end I bought
instead a fully linux suportted printer.

I forgot to mention. Did you look your printer here?

<http://www.linuxfoundation.org/collaborate/workgroups/openprinting>

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.