Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Problem with Kaffeine in 11.3

Blog Entries

Default Re: Problem with Kaffeine in 11.3

Quote Originally Posted by merkland View Post
    After installing 11.3 as an update from 11.2 Kaffeine was working but Skype was not. Following various suggestions on this site I eventually got Skype working but now Kaffeine crashes every time I try to start it
    You could check to see what applications you installed around the time you solved the Skype problem and encountered the kaffeine problem.

If you type:
    Code:
    rpm -qa --last > myrpms.txt
    and open myrpms.txt with a text editor, you will be able to see the chronological order of applications installed, and you may be able to detect what applications were installed when this problem started.

Many thanks for your attempts to help me.
    Just had a look at myrpms.txt and I think I have managed to 'muddy the waters' so badly that I think I am going to have to do a new clean install and then cautiously pick off the problems one at a time.
    Will report back if I am successful or not.

merkland.

You are welcome.

That's probably the expedient thing to do. If it's any consolation I will probably replace my 11.3, upgraded from 11.2 on my notebook, with a clean install even though all the apps appear to be working. The clean 11.3 install on my test partition seems to boot faster than the upgraded system does.

Let us know how it goes.

Well I have learnt one lesson: Never install a new O.S. as an update to an existing system!
    The re-install as a clean system has resolved most of the previous problems and I am just left with three niggles:
    1. Kaffeine will not play an audio CD playback stops and starts repeatedly.

2. Have not been able to find out how to get my Wacom graphics tablet to work in the absence of sax2.

3. This came to light as a result of 2. was wanting to see if tablet was recognised so did Yast/Hardware/Hardware Information, program starts probing system then having completed anything over 25% PC freezes and I have to power off then reboot to regain control of the PC.

I will search the forum but anyone got any pointers to save time?
    Many thanks,

merkland

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by merkland View Post
    Well I have learnt one lesson: Never install a new O.S. as an update to an existing system!
    The re-install as a clean system has resolved most of the previous problems and I am just left with three niggles:
    1. Kaffeine will not play an audio CD playback stops and starts repeatedly.

2. Have not been able to find out how to get my Wacom graphics tablet to work in the absence of sax2.

3. This came to light as a result of 2. was wanting to see if tablet was recognised so did Yast/Hardware/Hardware Information, program starts probing system then having completed anything over 25% PC freezes and I have to power off then reboot to regain control of the PC.

I will search the forum but anyone got any pointers to save time?
    Many thanks,

merkland
    I recommend you start a new thread for each.

As for the absence of sax2, sax2 is no longer maintained, so even if you were to use it, the odds are it won't work. Still, if you want to try it, it IS available in a 3rd party/user's home repository (you need sax2, sax2-gui, and their dependencies):
    Code:
    http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/flacco/openSUSE_11.3/
    or another home repository:
    Code:
    http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/anubisg1:/branches:/X11:/Utilities/openSUSE_11.3/
    ... but PLEASE do NOT continue sax2 discussions here !! This is totally the wrong thread! Please start a NEW thread.

Thank you (in advance) for starting a NEW thread. I will not reply to further sax2 posts on this thread.

Good luck.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12