Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 11.2 move to kde from gnome

Default 11.2 move to kde from gnome

I've googled and searched and don't see any instructions for how to move to kde from gnome. As nearly as I can tell, my 11.2 installation only includes Gnome: when I boot the computer I get no option to pick the desktop. When I look in Software Mgr, there are hundreds of KDE apps. I'm sure I don't need or want to install all of them--my GNOME installation only includes some of the apps in the GNOME group. But where do I find which I need? Or is there a shortcut that would be comparable to having installed KDE along with GNOME originally?

I'm not really wanting to switch to kde, just to use some kde apps--particularly quanta. While quanta seems to load OK, I can't open the quanta handbook, for lack of khelpcenter, or go to the quanta homepage from the helpmenu for lack of kfmclient. Yet neither of those apps is listed in the kde desktop group in the software manager.

Blog Entries

Smile Re: 11.2 move to kde from gnome

First thing I would do is to add the KDE repositories for openSUSE 11.2 and the version of KDE said to be 4.3.5 as I remember it. Next, I would start Software Management, press the view button and pick Patterns. In the list, you should see KDE 4 Base, check this and allow it to load onto your system. Once complete, Exit Gnome, select the Sessions icon and change the session from gnome to KDE or KDE 4. You can not have auto login selected otherwise you can't change your session type without disabling auto login first.

Thank You,
    My Blog: https://forums.opensuse.org/blogs/jdmcdaniel3/

Software efficiency halves every 18 months, thus compensating for Moore's Law

Its James again from Austin, Texas

Blog Entries

I also forgot to say you want to select the KDE 4 Desktop pattern as well as the KDE 4 Base pattern. Sorry for the omission.

Thank You,

Chris Maaskant NNTP User

Default Re: 11.2 move to kde from gnome

SuseNeo wrote:

> I'm not really wanting to switch to kde, just to use some kde
    > apps--particularly quanta. While quanta seems to load OK, I can't open
    > the quanta handbook, for lack of khelpcenter, or go to the quanta
    > homepage from the helpmenu for lack of kfmclient

When you search in yast look for "RPM provides"
    On 11.3 khelpcenter is provided by the kdebase4-runtime package andk
    fmclient by the package dolphin and konqueror.
    No need to add extra kde repositories just to install some applications.
    The kde version that ships with 11.2 works just fine.

--
    Chris Maaskant

From Yast, I've installed everything under KDE 4 Base and KDE 4 Desktop patterns that looked like it might be necessary, but I'm not getting anything prompts anywhere in the startup process that gives me an option of choosing KDE. Is there something else I have to do to make KDE an option along side of Gnome? I did check that auto login is not turned on.

Blog Entries

When you are in the Login screen, look at the bottom left of your screen. Do you see something called SESSIONS? Select it with your mouse pointer and pick the KDE bullet from the list and then login as normal. Look thoroughly at your Login screen for the Sessions setting.

Thank You,

I went to Yast->System-> /etc/sysconfig editor -> Desktop -> Display Manager ->Display Manager. There I tried removing 'gdm' from 'Setting of: Display Manager'. That move finally let me see, on restart, the page you're referring to.

But when I chose KDM, it would not open properly. I got two dialogs on a white screen:

1) "This object could not be created for the following reasons: Could not find the requested component: icon". (I could not close this dialog.)
    2) "Update applet: unable to find any backend plugin. Please install one and restart Updater Applet."

The second dialog would close, but I could not advance beyond this white screen.

The only apps from the KDE 4base I haven't installed are Rascal and Redland, both of which look like they're not relevant to general use.

The only apps from KDE Desktop Environment patterns I haven't installed are: amor, arora, kalarm, kchmviewer, kdelirc, kdirstat,kfloppy, kmouth, kppp, krename, kteatime,ktimer, ktux, kweather, rsibreak, speedcrunch.

Again, to me, anyway, none of these look relevant.

I'll send this off and then reboot again, to see what happens.

Well, next time I tried KDE is seemed to open, but to a strange green and black space scene with a little something in the upper right corner that opened something called "Plasma" when I clicked it. Seems a very confusing set of possible desktops. Where do I find help? There doesn't seem to be any help that I see in this Plasma thing. All I see, after some experimenting, is a desktop full of folders, app icons, and documents, all mixed helter-skelter. There doesn't seem to be any tray that shows which apps are open and it seems necessary to hunt through all the icons to find ones that will open apps. And there doesn't seem to be any way to open a menu of apps.

When I open KDE Quickstart for OpenSuSE 11.2, a search for 'plasma' doesn't yield any results.

Actually, when I sorted the icons on the desktop, it turned out that there were only icons for Office and OpenSuSE help. The one that had been there for Firefox was gone. So there seems to be no way to start any application other than Office--there isn't even an icon for a terminal.

You should install ALL packages that the base and desktop patterns recommend not just the ones you think you need.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast