Localization problems on Kontact and KDEPIM apps

Hi! I’m using openSuSE 11.3 with KDE 4.5 from Distro:/Factory repos, and all seems to be right (some bugs on Digikam and Amarok but they are already reported), but I find that everything is in my language (Spanish) but Kontact family (Kmail, Kadressbook, Akregator,…) that are in American English :(.
I tried to install all KDE’s spanish localization from YaST and cleaning ~/.kde4 folder to reset configurations, but it’s useless. I don’t know if the problem is only mine or just localization in Kontact is not in repos (I noticed that Kontact’s version is 4.4.5 because the “newer KDEPIM” is in beta right now).

Can anybody help me? Thank you!:slight_smile:

On 2010-08-12 11:06, onerw wrote:
>
> Hi! I’m using openSuSE 11.3 with KDE 4.5 from Distro:/Factory repos, and
> all seems to be right (some bugs on Digikam and Amarok but they are
> already reported), but I find that everything is in my language
> (Spanish) but Kontact family (Kmail, Kadressbook, Akregator,…) that
> are in American English :(.
> I tried to install all KDE’s spanish localization from YaST and
> cleaning ~/.kde4 folder to reset configurations, but it’s useless. I
> don’t know if the problem is only mine or just localization in Kontact
> is not in repos (I noticed that Kontact’s version is 4.4.5 because the
> “newer KDEPIM” is in beta right now).
>
> Can anybody help me? Thank you!:slight_smile:

Compare the rpms of the packages for kontact and family that you say fail, with an older version
that was translated. There should somewhere be a set of files with the extension “.mo”: those are
the translation files. The standard directory is “/usr/share/locale/es/LC_MESSAGES/”:

Elessar:~ # l /usr/share/locale/es/LC_MESSAGES/kontact*
-rw-r–r-- 1 root root 21385 Feb 4 2010 /usr/share/locale/es/LC_MESSAGES/kontact.mo
-rw-r–r-- 1 root root 618 Feb 4 2010 /usr/share/locale/es/LC_MESSAGES/kontactinterfaces.mo

That is in my 11.2.

If the files are missing, report the packaging bug to bugzilla.

Otherwise, to get you going, you could copy those files from an older version.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.2 x86_64 “Emerald” GM (Elessar))

Same problem here, with the German translation …

Thank you Carlos. I checked the *.mo files and there’s no one for Kmail, Akregator,… only one for kontact (kontactinterfaces.mo) so I think is a packaging bug (like you said) and I reported it.

Fruchtratte, in the bug report I said that maybe the bug is in other languages. Hope it can be fixed soon!

Un saludo!