Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Print System Error in openSuSE 11.3

Default Print System Error in openSuSE 11.3

Strange print issue. I can print normal pages, letter size, default normal output settings. When I try to do any kind of photo printing from any application, Digikam, Konqueror (3 or 4), Dolphin, Gwenview, Gimp, where I have set specific page size and output for photo settings, nothing prints, the job dies.

Finally by using the kdeprint3 subsystem I was able to see the error, the print system in kde4 shows no helpful info in the printer applet. The message reported is '/usr/lib/cups/filter/pstoraster failed'.

I am running the default cups printer system that came with the standard 11.3 install and standard repositories.

Any help would be appreciated. This is a real problem since I do a lot of photo work for clients.

Thanks.
    Desktop - Custom Build | Intel i7-950 | Asus P6X58D Premium MB | openSUSE 13.2 X86_64 | 12GB Ram | NVidia GTX580 | KDE 4.14.8

Default Re: Print System Error in openSuSE 11.3

Try setting up the cups server for printing.
    Open a browser and go to //localhost:631
    You should be able to set up the printer from there.
    When it asks for an admin password enter 'root' and the password.

Quote Originally Posted by whych View Post
    Try setting up the cups server for printing.
    Open a browser and go to //localhost:631
    You should be able to set up the printer from there.
    When it asks for an admin password enter 'root' and the password.
    The printer is already setup. I set it up without issue and did a print test through YaST. Opening the address you gave and selecting Manage Printers Option displays that print as being setup.

Any other things I can try? Keep in mind when printing 'normal' output such as OpenOffice documents, etc. everything prints fine. I am trying to print Photo Quality 11x17 prints to an Epson Stylus Photo R1800. Everything worked perfectly under openSuSE 11.1
    Desktop - Custom Build | Intel i7-950 | Asus P6X58D Premium MB | openSUSE 13.2 X86_64 | 12GB Ram | NVidia GTX580 | KDE 4.14.8

Did you try fine tuning the printer in the cups setup?
    Also, I know with my networked hpBIJet3000, I can choose the advanced print options when I choose to print from gwenview/gimp.
    ... But I had to first set up the printer options in cups before it would allow me to use them. (My hp laser in particular, needs setup in cups to give duplex printing)

Sorry, that's all I can think of at the moment.
    As an aside though, I have found the new cups server options for my printers in 11.3 limited compared to 11.2. (Perhaps a downgrade of cups to the 11.2 version may work?!)

Blog Entries

As whych suggested, you can use the CUPS http interface to set print options. I know its not as elegant as setting via the app, but it should do the job. I've just tried this with my Epson CX500, and it works for me.

Carlos E. R. NNTP User

On 2010-08-11 01:06, DMCorsa wrote:
    >
    > Strange print issue. I can print normal pages, letter size, default
    > normal output settings. When I try to do any kind of photo printing
    > from any application, Digikam, Konqueror (3 or 4), Dolphin, Gwenview,
    > Gimp, where I have set specific page size and output for photo settings,
    > nothing prints, the job dies.

Look up the error in the cups log. If details are not enough, increase verbosity.

--
    Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
    (from 11.2 x86_64 "Emerald" GM (Elessar))

Quote Originally Posted by deano_ferrari View Post
    As whych suggested, you can use the CUPS http interface to set print options. I know its not as elegant as setting via the app, but it should do the job. I've just tried this with my Epson CX500, and it works for me.
    Hmmm. Well, I tried as whych suggested and after I enter the password for admin to tweak the settings, I get an error that it can't display the web page.

Frustrating cause in 11.1 everything worked beautifully.

Blog Entries

It should be

http://localhost:631/

Its also available from menu under Applications > System > Configuration > Manage Printing

For admi, try:
    Username: root (not admin which I suspect you tried)
    Pwd: root_pwd

Hi there,

I recently had similar issues getting photos to print correctly on my new HP printer. I was unable to get them to print correctly despite any combination of settings either in the HP software or CUPS.

The solution which worked best for me was to install GutenPrint, and adjust the settings from there, printing my pictures using Gimp - this seems to work pretty well.

I have a blog post on it here: HP C309g Wireless Linux Printing & HPLIP - Mine the Harvest see the section Photo Printing – “Paper size mismatch” Error. The package I used was gutenprint-5.2.4-11.1.i586 of Suse 11.3

On the CUPS error when you login, while you could investigate the CUPS error log and find out why authentication is failing, you could also change the default policy in your /etc/cups/cupsd.conf

# Explicitely set the CUPS ‘default’ policy to be used by default:
    #DefaultPolicy default
    DefaultPolicy allowallforanybody
    # End of additions by openSUSE/Novell.
    Cheers,
    Lews Therin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast