Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: Kicker: Verizone & Google want users to pay extra for improved speed

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Rockyford Alberta Canada
    Posts
    1,388

    Thumbs down Kicker: Verizone & Google want users to pay extra for improved speed

    Verizone & Google according to national news service are looking at a pay for serving web pages at high speed to users when the pages are not hosted by them.

    Canada, Britain, and USA are looking into the matter as an unfair business practice.
    1) Public pays their ISP for a certain level of service and speed.
    2) In the course of Internet browsing, they may encounter sites that are staggeringly fast but will only reap for the speed of package they paid for. Other sites, may be incredibly slow and that just comes with the territory.
    3) Verizone and Google contend that more and more sites have such huge content that it takes a lot of time for the pages and content to transfer either through the use of poor design, embedded video, or large downloads. Thusly, they are looking to either limit or otherwise drop connections unless non-hosted web servers pay them for passing on the packets at high speed. Another alternative is to block such sites to users who do not pay them for high speed service of the sites.

    A spokesperson for Google stated "If we can get web designers to improve page content to transfer fast, or get servers to understand that they should not be offering large downloads like Linux distributions, and movies, and streaming video, such measures would not be needed"

    Hey, if government like China, Iran, Iraq, Lebanon and others can ban the blackberry because it is so private they can't snoop; then this should not be an issue.
    When your up to your a** in Alligators it's pretty hard to remember you intended to drain the swamp (author unknown)

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Delta Quadrant
    Posts
    1,451

    Default Re: Kicker: Verizone & Google want users to pay extra for improved speed

    > servers to understand that
    > they should not be offering large downloads like Linux distributions,
    > and movies, and streaming video, such measures would not be needed"


    "It's all those darn Linux distros I tell ya!"

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    4,654

    Default Re: Kicker: Verizone & Google want users to pay extra for improved speed

    GofBorg wrote:

    >
    > "It's all those darn Linux distros I tell ya!"


    And they are everywhere - simply everywhere - in my phone, my router, my PC,
    my satellite receiver - help -help - there is no way out

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    17,252

    Default Re: Kicker: Verizone & Google want users to pay extra for improvedspeed

    On Fri, 06 Aug 2010 04:06:02 +0000, techwiz03 wrote:

    > A spokesperson for Google stated "If we can get web designers to improve
    > page content to transfer fast, or get servers to understand that they
    > should not be offering large downloads like Linux distributions, and
    > movies, and streaming video, such measures would not be needed"


    This translates for me to "the network would be SO much faster if it
    weren't for the darned users!"

    Jim

    --
    Jim Henderson
    openSUSE Forums Administrator
    Forum Use Terms & Conditions at http://tinyurl.com/openSUSE-T-C

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,825
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Kicker: Verizone & Google want users to pay extra for improvedspeed

    Quote Originally Posted by hendersj View Post
    On Fri, 06 Aug 2010 04:06:02 +0000, techwiz03 wrote:

    > A spokesperson for Google stated "If we can get web designers to improve
    > page content to transfer fast, or get servers to understand that they
    > should not be offering large downloads like Linux distributions, and
    > movies, and streaming video, such measures would not be needed"


    This translates for me to "the network would be SO much faster if it
    weren't for the darned users!"

    Jim

    --
    Jim Henderson
    openSUSE Forums Administrator
    Forum Use Terms & Conditions at openSUSE Forums FAQ
    Of those users, most have malware of some kind. Trojans, spyware, viruses, and a lot are being used for bot-nets and bot armies. Where I live, we have a stupid motorist law. Stupid Motorist Law - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Maybe we should have a stupid internet users law?
    ______________________________________________________________________________________
    Don't ask "if" something can be done, for it can always be done. Rather instead ask "How" can it be done.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Finland, European Union
    Posts
    1,879

    Default Re: Kicker: Verizone & Google want users to pay extra for improved speed

    Next time you post sensationalistic titles, please also post the source - also I did not find the quote you wrote there anywhere on the net, please do not edit source material to suit your personal populistic agenda.

    As for the Google thing;
    Google and Verizon Wireless said Thursday the two companies are not looking to create pay tiers for certain Web sites on mobile phones.

    "We've not had any convos with (Verizon) about paying for carriage of our traffic," Google said on Twitter. "We remain committed to an open Internet."

    A New York Times story about the talks "is mistaken," said David Fish, Verizon's executive director of media relations wrote on the company's public policy blog. "It fundamentally misunderstands our purpose. As we said in our earlier FCC filing, our goal is an Internet policy framework that ensures openness and accountability, and incorporates specific FCC authority, while maintaining investment and innovation. To suggest this is a business arrangement between our companies is entirely incorrect."
    Source: Google, Verizon deny talks about Web pay tiers - msnbc.com

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Earth - Denmark
    Posts
    10,730

    Default Re: Kicker: Verizone & Google want users to pay extra for improvedspeed

    Jonathan R wrote:
    > (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stupid_Motorist_Law) Maybe we should have
    > a stupid internet users law?


    LOL! it _is_ a great law for motorist and i practice a form of it
    here...i guess i could call it the Smart Computer User Rule...like, if
    i give my best advice and the user responds with (something like) "i
    knew that" or "I'm not a n00b" i'm done trying to help... ;-)

    --
    DenverD
    CAVEAT: http://is.gd/bpoMD [posted via NNTP w/openSUSE 10.3]

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    17,252

    Default Re: Kicker: Verizone & Google want users to pay extra for improvedspeed

    On Fri, 06 Aug 2010 20:06:02 +0000, Jonathan R wrote:

    > Of those users, most have malware of some kind. Trojans, spyware,
    > viruses, and a lot are being used for bot-nets and bot armies. Where I
    > live, we have a stupid motorist law. 'Stupid Motorist Law - Wikipedia,
    > the free encyclopedia'
    > (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stupid_Motorist_Law) Maybe we should have
    > a stupid internet users law?


    That's not really how I read it - when they're talking about streaming
    video, to me that means Hulu, Netflix, and the like.

    Jim

    --
    Jim Henderson
    openSUSE Forums Administrator
    Forum Use Terms & Conditions at http://tinyurl.com/openSUSE-T-C

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    4,654

    Default Re: Kicker: Verizone & Google want users to pay extra for improved speed

    Jim Henderson wrote:

    > On Fri, 06 Aug 2010 04:06:02 +0000, techwiz03 wrote:
    >
    >> A spokesperson for Google stated "If we can get web designers to improve
    >> page content to transfer fast, or get servers to understand that they
    >> should not be offering large downloads like Linux distributions, and
    >> movies, and streaming video, such measures would not be needed"

    >
    > This translates for me to "the network would be SO much faster if it
    > weren't for the darned users!"
    >
    > Jim
    >

    Google could easily reduce all this nasty download traffic by sponsoring
    that all PCs and Laptops come with the linux distro the user wants
    preinstalled. ;-)
    The silly thing is they need the "darned users" otherwise no income from
    advertising, but this users should not produce too much traffic or shall as
    I understand it "avoid traffic which cannot be turned into cash"?


  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    17,252

    Default Re: Kicker: Verizone & Google want users to pay extra for improvedspeed

    On Fri, 06 Aug 2010 20:37:21 +0000, Martin Helm wrote:

    > Jim Henderson wrote:
    >
    >> On Fri, 06 Aug 2010 04:06:02 +0000, techwiz03 wrote:
    >>
    >>> A spokesperson for Google stated "If we can get web designers to
    >>> improve page content to transfer fast, or get servers to understand
    >>> that they should not be offering large downloads like Linux
    >>> distributions, and movies, and streaming video, such measures would
    >>> not be needed"

    >>
    >> This translates for me to "the network would be SO much faster if it
    >> weren't for the darned users!"
    >>
    >> Jim
    >>

    > Google could easily reduce all this nasty download traffic by sponsoring
    > that all PCs and Laptops come with the linux distro the user wants
    > preinstalled. ;-)
    > The silly thing is they need the "darned users" otherwise no income from
    > advertising, but this users should not produce too much traffic or shall
    > as I understand it "avoid traffic which cannot be turned into cash"?


    Well, sure - as a former sysadmin myself, I often would lament that life
    would be easier without the 'darned users', but of course the reality of
    that situation would've eliminated the need for me to be employed there.

    Jim



    --
    Jim Henderson
    openSUSE Forums Administrator
    Forum Use Terms & Conditions at http://tinyurl.com/openSUSE-T-C

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •