Thread: A rant about updates.

Default A rant about updates.

Getting to work on mondaymorning I switched on my PC, which started booting normally, until it gave me a dark, sleeping screen and no keyboard. Annoying, at 7:30.
    I next booted into safemode, and while searching for causes, realized I had seen a xorg-x11-Xvnc update on friday afternoon. It turned out that, WITH NO WARNING WHATSOVER, an update of xorg-x11-Xvnc actually updates the xorg-x11-server package as well. Since I ran the ATI-proprietary fglrx driver, this destroyed my X-server capabilities. Why does this type of update happen without user notification?
    I reverted back to the previous version of xorg-x11-server and xorg-x11-Xvnc, that worked perfectly fine up until the moment I switched of my pc early friday evening, and lo and behold! This DID NOT! restore functionality. Now I was getting pissed.
    In the end I had to completely uninstall fglrx, rebuild my xorg-configuration to work with the radeon module, and edit kwinrc to disable compositing since otherwise kde would no longer start, to get back to a sort of working system. Sort of working, because I now miss functionality I had working to full satisfaction, and I now have a display that twice a minute blacks out for a few seconds before restoring the desktop. THAT is extremely irritating, and happens both with the old (7.4-61.63.1-x86_64) AND with the new (7.4-61.64.1-x86_64) xorg-x11-server.
    Questions.
    Why does stuff get updated without usernotification?
    Why does functionality not get restored when backing out of forced changes?
    Why does the radeon-driver suspend my display for seconds at a time at least twice a minute?
    Why do I still have a command_not_found_handle in my rootshell even though I explicitly told YaST to NOT EVER EVER UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE install that utterly annoying package?
    I must admit: I am not looking forward to the next experience of this type, and thanks to the "flashing" display problem I am at present not at all happy working with this system.
    Thank you for listening.
    Krelis Krotenkoker
    (running openSUSE 11.2 (x86_64) VERSION = 11.2 on a HP AMD AthlonII, 2GB RAM,
    onboard ati rs880 9710, kde 4.3.5 r0)

Default Re: A rant about updates.

Why didn't you just reinstall you gfx-driver? Why didn't you make a backup? Why don't you use a better supported gfx-card?

Period. I hate rants.

Quote Originally Posted by KrelisK View Post
    ...It turned out that, WITH NO WARNING WHATSOVER, an update of xorg-x11-Xvnc actually updates the xorg-x11-server package as well. Since I ran the ATI-proprietary fglrx driver, this destroyed my X-server capabilities. Why does this type of update happen without user notification?...
    I can sympathize with this point. However, if you use YaST>Software>Online Update to apply the updates instead of using the updater applet, you will easily be able to identify all the packages affected by the update.

I have an nVidia - you should have one too.

Quote Originally Posted by Chrysantine View Post
    I have an nVidia - you should have one too.
    As I said: this was at work. Where I do not have the luxury to be picky about what hardware my employer supplies.

Quote Originally Posted by consused View Post
    I can sympathize with this point. However, if you use YaST>Software>Online Update to apply the updates instead of using the updater applet, you will easily be able to identify all the packages affected by the update.
    Thank you for your suggestion. I will do so in the future. And thank you for trying to be helpfull where I just needed to let of steam.

KrelisK wrote:
    > I just needed to let of steam.

i've been real successful in avoiding the steam for quite a while
    now...am getting close to a year with no way for the "updates" to kill
    my system...sure is nice to be able to avoid all the pain!!

--
    DenverD
    CAVEAT: http://is.gd/bpoMD [posted via NNTP w/openSUSE 10.3]