Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: KDE 4.5: Hard lock ups

Default Re: KDE 4.5: Hard lock ups

mine is

Code:
    00:00.0 Host bridge [0600]: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset Memory Controller Hub [8086:2a40] (rev 07)
            Subsystem: Fujitsu Technology Solutions Device [1734:1139]
            Kernel driver in use: agpgart-intel
    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller [8086:2a42] (rev 07)
            Kernel driver in use: i915
    00:02.1 Display controller [0380]: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller [8086:2a43] (rev 07)
    cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | grep -A 4 intel_drv.so shows:
    Code:
    [  8184.308] (II) Loading /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/drivers/intel_drv.so
    [  8184.308] (II) Module intel: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
    [  8184.308]    compiled for 1.8.0, module version = 2.12.0
    [  8184.308]    Module class: X.Org Video Driver
    [  8184.308]    ABI class: X.Org Video Driver, version 7.0
    from sysinfo:
    Code:
    ersteller:  Intel Corporation
    Modell:  Mobile Intel® GM45 Express Chipset
    2D-Treiber:  intel
    3D-Treiber:  Unbekannt classic (7.8.2)

I have the same GM45 card. This is not related to KDE, its a video card driver issue and mostly happening to Intel cards in 11.3. That's your choice if you don't want to try it. I added X11 repo and followed that steps defined in the bug and until now i have no lock ups/ freeze with desktop effects enabled. Even this is not the official fix, still waiting for it. But for now it fix the lock ups and hangs. Its a little flickering while moving windows, but i can live with that for a while.
    It's not just for some Intel cards, majority of it are effected if not all.

This is what before i had too:
    in systemsettings, right after i click on the "apply" button
    i am also able to restart X11 by pressing strg+alt+backspace.
    And some time whole system hang, i have to restart the system hard way.

Good luck
    Linux[openSUSE, KDE], PHP, MySQL, Wordpress, Tech News, etc :
    http://anl4u.com

I have an Intel driver but i'm not sure the version number. It's something specifically in kde 4.5 as with 4.4 i had no problem.

@mmarif4u: i did also install the latest versions from xorg x11 repo, but this did not solve the freezes when chaning settings in systemsettings.

anyway, somebody told me a short workaround:

when the desktop freezes after changing settings, disable desktop effects by pressing shift+alt+f12 and then enable them again by pressing shift+alt+f12. the desktop should behave correctly then.

Quote Originally Posted by martinfrueh View Post
    @mmarif4u: i did also install the latest versions from xorg x11 repo, but this did not solve the freezes when chaning settings in systemsettings.

anyway, somebody told me a short workaround:

when the desktop freezes after changing settings, disable desktop effects by pressing shift+alt+f12 and then enable them again by pressing shift+alt+f12. the desktop should behave correctly then.
    Just to confirm that I have the exact same problem as you have. The total freeze seems to be gone away somewhere in the past couple of days; the KDE 4.5 lock up is still there, however. Using an Intel GM965.

Thumbs up Re: KDE 4.5: Hard lock ups

Quote Originally Posted by mmarif4u View Post
    I added X11 repo and followed that steps defined in the bug ... for now it fix the lock ups and hangs.
    Thanks mmarif4u. I tried the fix, and so far, my system is a lot more stable.

However, it did not address the specific problem mentioned by Angelbeast, martinfrueh and others. There is an open KDE bug (https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=241402) related to this. It's happening with ATI drivers as well as Intel, but not Nvidia.

BTW changing compositing from openGL to XRender also solves this, but I lose some desktop effects.

Anyway, thanks again. Also to martinfrueh for the hint about suspending compositing.

I have the very same problem with 11.3, KDE 4.5 and a 945 GM chip. Curious to see if there will be a solution.

Passing on a request from Weng Xuetian of kde.bugs.org ...
    Is any nvidia user who use nouveau encounter this problem? Maybe this can help
    us determine whether it is related to mesa or a specific dri driver.
    As mentioned previously, this problem has been reported by users with ATI as well as Intel cards, but so far, not Nvidia.

Any Nvidia users out there, please either post directly to https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=241402, or, if you don't want to sign up, post here and I'll pass it on.

I noticed everything froze for about 30 seconds on my system with the proprietary Nvidia driver for my 8800GT and KDE 4.5. I also had occasional severe lockups where I was able to move the mouse, but nothing else. In these cases I could sometimes restart X, and sometimes not. 4.4.4 worked fine, but it might have been a quirk of my system. I think I'll wait until 4.5.1 until trying again.
    Last edited by Wrath5000; 14-Aug-2010 at 10:34. Reason: Additional clarification
    I'm confused...No, wait...Maybe I'm not...

Thanks for the response Wrath5000.

Did you notice lockups specifically when changing KDE settings?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast