Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: iTunes Alternative

Default iTunes Alternative

This is my very first post to openSUSE and I've only been using Linux for a few days. I really love openSUSE but am experiencing a few problems. One problem is the fact that I can't install iTunes!! I own an iPod Touch and it is absolutely necessary for me to have iTunes or an iTunes alternative that can sync music/videos/podcasts with my iTouch. I have backed up my previous iTunes library and would like to get an alternative for iTunes that can import that backup. Does any one know of a free program like this? Thanks so much

Blog Entries

Smile Re: iTunes Alternative

So have you tried using Amarok with your iPod Touch? I don't own an iPod anything, but Amarok works fine with my two MP3 players. If you installed the KDE desktop open the menu, then Multimedia, Audio Player and Amarok. The first time you run Amarok, it is going to want to setup your default music folder. Also consider that any music purchased on iTunes with DRM will not work with Amarok. For instance I purchased a program called TuneBite for Windows just to remove all of the DRM from my iTunes songs and converted the music files to MP3 files. If you can not live without iTunes and its DRM laden music, using Linux might not be for you. I prefer using a dual boot system and pull out what I want from Windows and then use it under Linux as I see fit.

Thank You,
    My Blog: https://forums.opensuse.org/blogs/jdmcdaniel3/

Software efficiency halves every 18 months, thus compensating for Moore's Law

Its James again from Austin, Texas

Default Re: iTunes Alternative

Banshee is loosely based on iTunes. You might give that a try.

Blog Entries

Banshee is a good program normally associated with using the Gnome desktop. I use both Amarok and Banshee, but I had to install the Gnome desktop to get all of the features to work with Banshee. Since the space required is not that much, this is no big deal, but worth considering if Banshee is not present or does not work for you under KDE.

Thank You,

I've tried Banshee and really like the way it works, but it doesn't support my iTouch! Do you know of a plugin that will give it iPod Touch support?

Blog Entries

I found a page that suggests you can make it work with Rhythmbox, so you might search for this application in YaST / Software Management, install it and give it a try.

Manage iPhone/iPod Touch Media in Ubuntu 10.04 LTS [No Jailbreak Required] | iPod Touch Tricks

Thank You,

Hello,

I have tried all the apps listed in this post, plus a few not metioned here.

Firstly, in order to be able to work with your iphone/ipod/ijunk, you must install a number of ispecific packages:

ifuse
    libimobiledevice
    libplist
    libgpod
    podsleuth
    usbmuxd

Please note that these are package names on FC13, but the SuSE names will be identical or very similar.

Technically, syncronization should be avaiable in rhythmbox, amorak, and perhaps Banshee, perhaps others. My experience is that gtkpod is the best tool for managing data exchange betwee the iP[phone|pod] and your linux installation.

I highly recommend ... use gtkpod for moving data between iPhone/iPod and linux. Use whatever media player floats your boat for everything else.

VERY IMPORTANT TO UNDERSTAND: gtkpod is NOT an iTunes clone. It uses a somewhat different metaphore to represent sets of items to be copied between the device and your "Library". When I first installed it, I found it to be extreemly confusing and clunky. It took me a couple of days experimenting, re-reading the documentation, and overloading the device trying to write 10+ GB at a time ... all the usual learning curve stuff with a new app before I really had a feel for it. Once you've taken the time to learn how to use it, it is INFINITELY more flexible and usable than iTunes. That said, I don't use gtkpod as a media player.

My own preferences, I like rythmbox best ... will play music directly from your iDevice ... no sync needed. Banshee has slightly better integration with Last.fm than rythmbox ... that is when the integration actually works. It's very nice looking app, but more of the bloated, memory inefficient, unreliable mono based garbage typical of openSUSE's gnome ...

Amorak has two features I am VERY fond of ... an extreemely flexible db backend and the ability to configure your music library the way YOU WANT IT. For me, that means I can have Amarock "monitor" several different directories for changes. ALL the others expect all your music to be under a single master directory. Technically, this is not true, you can add songs to the Banshee/Rhythbox/XXX library without copying or moving files to a given directory, but the apps will only monitor the contents of 1 directory.

Unfortunately, Amaroks UI looks as if were designed by immature juvenials from Taiwan, working for a third tier mother board fab. I find it unusable and do not ever use Amarok, except on the occasions that I compare different music players, just to stay abreast of what is available.

Anyway ... that's my heavily opinionated but mostly well reasoned spin ....

... and don't forget to have fun!

You can check on the status of iphone linux compatibility here: libimobiledevice.org. There is a 1-click install for opensuse 11.0-11.2. I verified that my fresh install of 11.3 includes libimobiledevice and libgpod4 (version 0.7.93-2.7); however, ifuse was not installed by default (I'm not sure if this is necessary. I would try with my iPod, but it is currently playing lullabies for my son). You should look at the above site, check on the state of compatibility for your idevice, make sure that you have the proper packages installed.

Rhythm box seems like a nice solution but it doesn't play my aac files Is there a plugin that will allow aac file playback? Otherwise, do you know of any other players that may work? Thanks

If your aac files are DRM protected you can not convert them. At least not legaly.
    Audacity might help to convert such files.
    K3B via KDE can convert soundfiles, or if its Gnome you may try Soundconverter.
    You need to have non restricted codecs installed for mp3 etc...

Here the links, but all software should be within yast.
    Audacity: Free Audio Editor and Recorder
    K3b News - K3b
    SoundConverter - GNOME Sound Conversion
    +++ ATH0

. . . . . . . .
    LOGOFF COMPLETE

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast