Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No HDMI Audio on nVidia GeForce/nForce iGPU on mb ASUS P5N7A-VM OpenSuse 11.2 or 11.3

Default No HDMI Audio on nVidia GeForce/nForce iGPU on mb ASUS P5N7A-VM OpenSuse 11.2 or 11.3

I have an ASUS P5N7A-VM motherboard and was using Optical out for sound without issues running OpenSuse 11.2. I then got rid of my receiver and wanted to just use HDMI sound. I couldn't get it to work so I upgraded to OpenSuse 11.3. I simply went to the Sound control panel applet and changed it to Internal Audio Digital Stereo (HDMI). I can not get any sound from it on OpenSuse 11.3 either. I have ran sound tests from the command line "speaker-test -Dplug:front -c2 -l5 -twav" which all run without errors, but nothing comes out of the speakers.

I have ran the suggestion of one post "alsa-info.sh" and here are my results:

http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=27...860267e7079411

I have also tried the following post which did not resolve the problem since it seems to be Ubuntu based. I have undid everything from the post as well to make sure I don't stray to far from normal.

[HOWTO] HDMI audio on nVidia GeForce/nForce iGPU - XBMC Community Forum

Blog Entries

Default Re: No HDMI Audio on nVidia GeForce/nForce iGPU on mb ASUS P5N7A-VM OpenSuse 11.2 or 11.3

Quote Originally Posted by stpfarms View Post
    I have an ASUS P5N7A-VM motherboard and was using Optical out for sound without issues running OpenSuse 11.2. I then got rid of my receiver and wanted to just use HDMI sound. I couldn't get it to work so I upgraded to OpenSuse 11.3. I simply went to the Sound control panel applet and changed it to Internal Audio Digital Stereo (HDMI). I can not get any sound from it on OpenSuse 11.3 either. I have ran sound tests from the command line "speaker-test -Dplug:front -c2 -l5 -twav" which all run without errors, but nothing comes out of the speakers.

I have ran the suggestion of one post "alsa-info.sh" and here are my results:

http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=27...860267e7079411

I have also tried the following post which did not resolve the problem since it seems to be Ubuntu based. I have undid everything from the post as well to make sure I don't stray to far from normal.

[HOWTO] HDMI audio on nVidia GeForce/nForce iGPU - XBMC Community Forum
    Are you using Gnome or KDE ? If using KDE, ensure the settings/order of devices in KMENU > Configure Desktop > Multimedia is the same as the order of devices in YaST > Hardware > Sound

Default Re: No HDMI Audio on nVidia GeForce/nForce iGPU on mb ASUS P5N7A-VM OpenSuse 11.2 or 11.3

I am using Gnome.

Anyone else have any ideas? I do not want to go back to Ubuntu cause OpenSuse is so much easier and better to use. I also use iFolder and would miss that as well but I can't use this without sound since it acts as my HTPC. But looks like there are fixes for this issue on Ubuntu so I may have to as a last resort.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by stpfarms View Post
    Anyone else have any ideas? I do not want to go back to Ubuntu cause OpenSuse is so much easier and better to use. I also use iFolder and would miss that as well but I can't use this without sound since it acts as my HTPC. But looks like there are fixes for this issue on Ubuntu so I may have to as a last resort.
    I might be able to help with KDE, but not Gnome. I'm not familiar with Gnome.

I switched to KDE and checked the device order and in Yast Sound I have one device but I have 3 devices in Multimedia. I tried changing the order but it didn't so anything. In Multimedia I have:

HDA Nvidia, Nvidia HDMI (HDMI Audio Output)
    HDA Nvidia(ALC 1200 Digital)
    HDA Nvidia(ALC 1200 Analog)

In Yast Sound I have:

MCP79 High Definition Audio

Blog Entries

I don't know much about these devices and alsa support provided.

Check if the nvidia audio devices appear via

Code:
    /sbin/lspci -vv
    This short thread dealt with a similar issue (openSUSE 11.2). I'm wondering if an alsa upgrade might be necessary?

Blog Entries

Smile Re: No HDMI Audio on nVidia GeForce/nForce iGPU on mb ASUS P5N7A-VM OpenSuse 11.2 or 11.3

I looked up the motherboard and it is said to use the Realtek ALC1200 so I am sure this is where the audio is being sent out through the HDMI connector. I read the following suggestion when going into the mixer:

... go into the volume control, on the switches tab and deselect Headphone and select both IEC958 and 'IEC958 Default PCM' to get it to work ...
    Further, I found suggestions to add the option "options snd-hda-intel model=auto probe_mask=1", perhaps in the file /etc/modprobe.d/50-sound.conf file, but I am not sure about that.

Thank You,
    My Blog: https://forums.opensuse.org/blogs/jdmcdaniel3/

Software efficiency halves every 18 months, thus compensating for Moore's Law

Its James again from Austin, Texas

Blog Entries

Don't forget to enable your mixer's IEC958 controls. From the output of the diagnostic script in your first post, they were disabled.

Regards,
    SuSEThailand.com is a SUSE Linux user and community found in Thailand.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast