Thread: Video Card Driver?

Question Video Card Driver?

Ok, apols for the n00b question, but I just can't figure it out...

1. How can I tell what video card I have?
    2. How can I tell what video card driver I'm using?
    and most importantly,
    3. How can I update the video card driver to the latest/recent version?

I ask because I'm trying to set effects with the Configure Window Behavior, but it/they fail and I receive notification that effects could not be activated (I'm assuming it's because I don't have a driver that enables 3D effects).

I'm using 11.2 with KDE (4.3.5 release 0).

Thanks for the help!

Blog Entries

Default Re: Video Card Driver?

Quote Originally Posted by Captain_Tux View Post
    Ok, apols for the n00b question, but I just can't figure it out...

and most importantly,

I ask because I'm trying to set effects with the Configure Window Behavior, but it/they fail and I receive notification that effects could not be activated (I'm assuming it's because I don't have a driver that enables 3D effects).

I'm using 11.2 with KDE (4.3.5 release 0).

Thanks for the help!
    So as not to waste each other's time, please read this here:
    openSUSE Graphic Card Practical Theory Guide for Users

and most importantly,

Old CPU - Thanks for the guidance. Here's what I've gathered thus far:

1. NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS
    2. NV (according to the tutorial, that's the open source driver for my card); this driver only supports 2D

Now, unless my eyes are deceiving me, I haven't seen a section with how to update the driver...?

In the System Tab of KMenu select "install/remove software". When it has finished loading go to "configure"->"repositories..." to open the repository manager. Click on "add", then choose "community-repositories" from the list. You will be presented with some of the more important repositories and there will be one named "nvidia". Check it and click on accept, if asked, import the key, click ok in the repository manager and then accept in the package manager, the correct packages should be automatically be pulled in and installed now. now log out of KDE and relog in to restart the graphical system. Everything should be working now.

The buttons and options could be named a little bit different from what I have posted here, so don't wonder. I'm not using english locale.

Ok, I've added the repos and checked the card (so I install the correct driver). So, at this point, is it really as simple as doing as prescribed here (via either Yast or Zypper)? SDB:NVIDIA drivers - openSUSE

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Captain_Tux View Post
    Ok, I've added the repos and checked the card (so I install the correct driver). So, at this point, is it really as simple as doing as prescribed here (via either Yast or Zypper)? SDB:NVIDIA drivers - openSUSE
    Yes, it should be 'that simple'.

Note there are different ways to do this. I always do this 'the hardway' (which is not hard), but there is also the "easy way" and the various "repository" ways in the link you noted: SDB:NVIDIA drivers - openSUSE .... The advantage of the 'easy way' is requires less user interaction, but sometimes the latest versions are not yet packaged. The 'hardway' typically gets the latest versions.

In all cases, once you start using the proprietary graphic driver, note that there is a good possibility that any kernel update (and sometimes an xorg update) will break the driver's functionality, and you will either get thrown back to the nouveau driver, the nv driver, or to a full screen terminal, and be forced to update the driver again (and possibly be forced to do so from a full screen terminal).

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by oldcpu View Post
    ....but sometimes the latest versions are not yet packaged. The 'hardway' typically gets the latest versions.
    To confirm what the latest version might be of the nvidia driver, I typically check in on the nVidia forum: Current NVIDIA Linux graphics driver releases - nV News Forums

Thanks for the info... I'll give it a shot and report.