Swiftfox doesn't show up on 11.3 KDE menu

I’ve just installed 11.3 on my mother’s laptop. I downloaded and installed Swiftfox, but there’s no evidence of it in the menu. I can double-click the Swiftfox.desktop icon in /usr/share/applications, and Swiftfox runs properly. However, it’s not listed in the KDE menu.

Is there a way to manually update the menu?

I didn’t have this problem with the previous version of openSuse on this computer. But I did a fresh install, rather than update to 11.3.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Did you know that you can copy the file Swiftfox.desktop to your Desktop folder (/home/username/Desktop and it will show up on the desktop as an icon your can click and start the application? If you have icons on the desktop already, it may place itself towards the top left hand corner under another icon, which you must move to get a hold of it.

If you want to place it in your menu, if we can assume you use KDE, you need to know the program name to add. As a test, I went to the same folder (/usr/share/applications) and copied the file acroread.desktop to my desktop folder. When I right click on the icon, I can select properties. When I select the application tab I see that its command is “acroread %f” which we want to place in our menu entry to add to the KDE menu. While the actual name was the same as the desktop file name, this is not always so and further we would have not known to add the %f, which allows one to specify a PDF file as acroread is started. To add this as a new menu item we will do the following.

1. Right click on the Menu icon in the bottom right and pick Menu Editor.

2. On the left tree Expand Internet and then Web Browser.

3. Right click on the Web Browser and pick new Item. For this example I will call it Acroread, but perhaps you will use Swiftfox.

4. On the right side I will place the command “acroread %f” without the quotes. I will press the icon button (question mark by default) and search for the right or suitable icon.

5. Press the save button on the top left and you should now have your new menu item.

Thank You,

Worked like a dream! Thanks so much James – I appreciate it. I know I’ll use the Menu Editor a lot after this.

I was very happy to help xpacker. Thanks so much for coming back and letting me know that this was helpful to you.

Thank You,