Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Recent Notifications-Nepomuk Data Storage Error Message

  1. #1

    Default Recent Notifications-Nepomuk Data Storage Error Message

    Installed 11.3 as new install on Thinkpad T42. I now have a persistent notification "Nepomuk was not able to find the configured database backend 'redland' ...
    No idea what it means. System seems to be working but desktop icons have grey vertical rectangular box when selected. No objects to select in the boxes though. Previous version had tools available as I recall. Could somebody please suggest remedial action.
    Regards
    Budgie2

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    West Virginia Sector 13
    Posts
    15,746

    Default Re: Recent Notifications-Nepomuk Data Storage Error Message

    Did you run the media test from install medias first menu?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Auckland, NZ
    Posts
    20,384
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Recent Notifications-Nepomuk Data Storage Error Message

    Installed 11.3 as new install on Thinkpad T42. I now have a persistent notification "Nepomuk was not able to find the configured database backend 'redland' ...
    IIRC, I had the same message initially on my ThinkPad. Don't want to confuse further, but I'm using KDE4 desktop, and found that the nepomukserver seems to require AC power (or at least performance mode) before indexing will work at all.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Recent Notifications-Nepomuk Data Storage Error Message

    you didn't mention if your /home existed prior to your new install of 11.3, that would be important if it was.... you may have kde4 configurations from a previous version that doesn't get interpreted properly in 4.4.4... plasmoids from previous versions may also make plasma-desktop unstable.

    the nepomuk error may be a separate issue.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Recent Notifications-Nepomuk Data Storage Error Message

    Quote Originally Posted by j_xavier View Post
    you didn't mention if your /home existed prior to your new install of 11.3, that would be important if it was.... you may have kde4 configurations from a previous version that doesn't get interpreted properly in 4.4.4... plasmoids from previous versions may also make plasma-desktop unstable.

    the nepomuk error may be a separate issue.
    Thanks to all who have replied. No I didn't check the media. Power brick connected all the time. Yes /home existed from a previous version (11.1) and I do recall trying a KDE upgade in the past so it is quite possible that is source of problem.

    Please could somebody advise what I should do to correct the problem. I assume I should erase something or reinstall but no idea what.

    Regards,
    Budgie2

  6. #6

    Default Re: Recent Notifications-Nepomuk Data Storage Error Message

    Hi Budgie2

    I experienced the same issue. It's in fact a problem when you use an existing /home file system (so did I). After having read this thread I tried deleting ~/.kde4/share/config/nepomukserverrc, logged out and in again -- and then it worked.

    Good luck.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Recent Notifications-Nepomuk Data Storage Error Message

    Quote Originally Posted by afalb View Post
    Hi Budgie2

    I experienced the same issue. It's in fact a problem when you use an existing /home file system (so did I). After having read this thread I tried deleting ~/.kde4/share/config/nepomukserverrc, logged out and in again -- and then it worked.

    Good luck.
    Thanks for the suggestion. Not sure if that would have worked but meanwhile posted problem on KDE forum. I received the following reply:-

    Can you please ensure "soprano-backend-redland" and "soprano-backend-virtuoso" are installed? After that, run "kbuildsycoca4 --noincremental"

    I did a software search for soprano-backend-redland and found it was not installed. (the virtuoso backend was already installed,). I then ran the command and that has solved the problem.
    Am posting this here just in case somebody else has this problem.
    Thanks again.
    Budgie2

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    UTC+10
    Posts
    9,686
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default Re: Recent Notifications-Nepomuk Data Storage Error Message

    Quote Originally Posted by afalb View Post
    Hi Budgie2

    I experienced the same issue. It's in fact a problem when you use an existing /home file system (so did I). After having read this thread I tried deleting ~/.kde4/share/config/nepomukserverrc, logged out and in again -- and then it worked.

    Good luck.
    Thanks for that tip. I was going to go looking for the cause, but hadn't got around to it because these machines I upgraded to 11.3 are not ones normally powered on. You've saved me a bit of time. rep++ for you.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Recent Notifications-Nepomuk Data Storage Error Message

    Quote Originally Posted by Budgie2 View Post
    Thanks for the suggestion. Not sure if that would have worked but meanwhile posted problem on KDE forum. I received the following reply:-

    Can you please ensure "soprano-backend-redland" and "soprano-backend-virtuoso" are installed? After that, run "kbuildsycoca4 --noincremental"

    I did a software search for soprano-backend-redland and found it was not installed. (the virtuoso backend was already installed,). I then ran the command and that has solved the problem.
    Am posting this here just in case somebody else has this problem.
    Thanks again.
    Budgie2
    That was exactly my situation and also the solution that fixed the issue. I spent some time investigating the problem at the KDE forums, but it was not as effective as your single post. Thank you for the contribution! Reps to you.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •