Thread: VMWARE undefined symbol in SUSE 11.3

Default VMWARE undefined symbol in SUSE 11.3

Greetings All,

I cannot seem to get VMWARE workstation to run on SUSE 11.3. I am getting the following error message:

/usr/lib/vmware/bin/vmware-modconfig: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/gio/modules/libdconfsettings.so: undefined symbol: g_settings_backend_get_type

This is happening with version 6.5 as well as 7.1

Any suggestions as to what the problem might be would be greatly appreciated.

Thanx in advance.

Rich

Default Re: VMWARE undefined symbol in SUSE 11.3

I have a similar issue with Thunderbird, when I press the reply button. I get following error:

/usr/lib64/thunderbird/thunderbird-bin: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib64/gio/modules/libdconfsettings.so: undefined symbol: g_settings_backend_get_type

After I made some updates I got the same problem with
    • Firefox
      kmozillahelper(10029)/kdecore (KSycoca): Trying to open ksycoca from "/var/tmp/kdecache-sir/ksycoca4"
      /usr/lib64/firefox/firefox: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib64/gio/modules/libdconfsettings.so: undefined symbol: g_settings_backend_get_type
    • Thunderbird
      /usr/lib64/thunderbird/thunderbird-bin: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib64/gio/modules/libdconfsettings.so: undefined symbol: g_settings_backend_get_type

I guess that it has something to do with libdconfsettings.so

I do not know what that packet does but i deinstalled it and got rid of my problems.

Removing gsettings-backend-dconf-0.5-3.1.x86_64 did the trick for me. No other packages are depending on it on my system.

Code:
    sudo rpm -ef gsettings-backend-dconf-0.5-3.1.x86_64

Works fine to me, thanks.

That's clearly a packaging error. REPORT IT!!

confirming the bug: i was getting
    /usr/lib/vmware/bin/vmplayer: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/gio/modules/libdconfsettings.so: undefined symbol: g_settings_backend_get_type
    error when tried to run vmplayer, and
    sudo rpm -ef gsettings-backend-dconf
    fixed this problem.